Week 3: Southern Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 3: Southern Utah

The Jacks go on the road to take on the Southern Utah this weekend. Game time is 7 CT. The Thunderbirds are 0-2 this year, having lost to FBS Nevada 19-28, and #3 FCS SELA 14-41, a game they had within 14-20 at the start of the 4th quarter. This is also the Thunderbirds Homecoming game so should be a pretty raucous crowd on hand

Re: Week 3: Southern Utah

This is always a difficult trip given how the team has to get there.

Any information on any watch parties in Sioux Falls? Will the game be broadcast on Root Sports through the Big Sky's deal with them? Any information is greatly appreciated.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post

Any information on any watch parties in Sioux Falls? Will the game be broadcast on Root Sports through the Big Sky's deal with them? Any information is greatly appreciated.
      I would also like to attend a Watch Party. Would Also be interested in a Pregame "Tailgate"

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
        I would also like to attend a Watch Party. Would Also be interested in a Pregame "Tailgate"
        Brilliant.......... like those Gunnies commercials.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Once again this a game the Jacks absolutely have to win in order to stay in the playoff hunt. Not only that but knock down the Big Sky again and raise the conference profile, to insure if we are a strap hanger we can get in ahead of the 12 Big Sky autobids. I don't know anything about SUU except what everyone else knows. Always a difficult trip there. My confidence in our QB is gaining. Lo.ing at their roster there are some very tall DB's, couldn't find their depth chart. The jump ball might not be a slam dunk
          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
            Once again this a game the Jacks absolutely have to win in order to stay in the playoff hunt.
            Not a true statement.
            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
              Not a true statement.
              Maybe not...but losing to a team that isn't in the AGS top 40 won't help. Need to go to the middle of nowhere and get this "W".
              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Not a true statement.
                Although not technically true....with a game against a D3 team State will likely need 8 wins to make playoffs. With away games at NDSU, ISU-Red, and UNI, these games are huge.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post

The game may be on www.americaonesports.com

As of right now it looks free.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

In the Big Sky pre-season football poll (league coaches and media representatives), last week's opponent, Cal Poly, was picked fifth. This week's opponent, Southern Utah, was picked sixth. As you review the following, note the position of Weber State -- NDSU had trouble with Weber this past weekend. Of course, a lot has changed since the pre-season poll in July. Cal Poly had a problem with player suspensions and may struggle to finish ahead of Northern Arizona and SUU.

The Big Sky coaches and media agreed on the first six: (1. Eastern Washington
                    2. Montana
                    3. Montana State
                    4. Cal Poly
                    5. Northern Arizona
                    6. Southern Utah

Here's the prediction of the coaches for the remainder of the conference.
                    7. Sacramento State
                    8. Portland State
                    9. UC Davis
                    10. North Dakota
                    11. Weber State
                    12. Idaho State
                    13. Northern Colorado.

The media's remaining selections were:
                    7. UC Davis seventh
                    8. Portland State
                    9. Sacramento State
                    10. Idaho State
                    11. North Dakota
                    12. Weber State
                    13. Northern Colorado

Comment

Not a true statement.
                      Pretty close to true. A loss at SUU makes a playoff seed nearly impossible and a playoff bid much much tougher. NDSU, UNI and Indiana St on the road as well as YSU at home are all much tougher games than SUU. A loss Saturday means the Jackrabbits would like need to finish the year 7-2. That would not be impossible but it would be darn difficult. Jacks need a win at SUU, SUU needs a win even more. Should be a great game.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

A few tidbits that I found in a Big Sky Conf media guide on SUU:

Major contributors returning from last year:
                        PASSING Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds TD Avg/G
                        Aaron Cantu 329 213 12 64.7 2052 10 171.0

SACKS Pos Solo Ast Yds Total Avg/G
                        James Cowser DE 10 1 58 10.5 0.81

TFL Pos Solo Ast Yds Total Avg/G
                        James Cowser DE 17 4 83 19.0 1.46

Statistical Leaders in the Big Sky Conf this season:
                        Tackles: Chinedu Ahanonu Southern Utah 19.5 tpg
                        Tackles-for-loss: James Cowser Southern Utah 2.75 pg

Team Stats thru 2 games:
                        TOTAL OFFENSE G Rush Pass Plays Yards Avg/P TD Avg/G
                        5. Southern Utah 2 291 453 142 744 5.2 4 372.0
                        TOTAL DEFENSE G Rush Pass Plays Yards Avg/P TD Avg/G
                        13. Southern Utah 2 479 544 171 1023 6.0 8 511.5 <-- This is dead last in the Big Sky.

Read more at: http://www.bigskyconf.com/documents/2014/9/8/9-8-14.pdf

Comment

Flooding washed out both roadbeds of I-15 near Moapa, NV between LAS and Cedar City last night! No word yet on how long it will be closed.

There is a helicopter shot of the washout on Google, doesn't look like major structures are involved so possibly a temporary fix may work. I assume that the team plans to fly into LAS. I don't see a reasonable route as an alternate. Bummer!!

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                            Flooding washed out both roadbeds of I-15 near Moapa, NV between LAS and Cedar City last night! No word yet on how long it will be closed.

There is a helicopter shot of the washout on Google, doesn't look like major structures are involved so possibly a temporary fix may work. I assume that the team plans to fly into LAS. I don't see a reasonable route as an alternate. Bummer!!
                            Wow. I was watching that on the news this morning. Didn't even think about the game and our team's travel.
                            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

About noon they announced an emergency contract was being awarded and the interstate may reopen in "3 or 4 days".

Also it looks sounds like there may ways around the closure.

Comment

Working...
                              X