Austin's Recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin's Recovery

Instead of derailing other threads for the next "x" weeks, I thought we could have a thread to talk about Austin's progress and what that could mean for the team.

Nobody here is biased against Austin for a player from Alaska via California. Nobody here was hoping Austin wouldn't continue setting records this season.

However:

If we're 6-2 when he's ready (what does that even mean, is that 70%, 80%, 90%???) to come back I'll have second thoughts. Recovering from 3 broken bones in your planting foot in 7 weeks would be a tall order. If anybody can do it, its Austin though.

If we're 7-2, Austin's career will likely end as a backup, unfortunately. That's an 8 week recovery period, and we will have beaten UNI or NDSU on the road. We would have 3 "easy" games left before an almost guaranteed playoff spot (ISU-b, WIU, USD). We will likely have an inside track on a first round bye. We will likely have the inside track on a conference championship. Do you sit the kid that made all that happen? It sucks for Austin, but I say probably not.

If we're 8-2, its Lujan's job no question.

We've got a loooooong season before we can even think about being 6-2 though. I know I'd rather have a QB controversy after 8 games than have the season be effectively over because we're 2-6.

That seems like a reasonable arm-chair analysis of this extremely hypothetical situation.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Re: Austin's Recovery

I get where you are coming from with the "what if's", but to say that a four year starter and three year captain would not return to his job no matter what the record is, seems a little strange to me and I dont believe it would happen as to where if he can play they would still go with Lujan. Just my opinion.

Comment

I am not going to speculate. I am taking this one week at a time. Good luck to Austin on his recovery!
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Stig has always maintained you don't lose your position to injury. Sumner is a 3 year starter with all the records. He will start when he returns. I hope for a speedy recovery. Lujan will get some great experience for next year. Thread over.
        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Shoot, just posted about this in the poly thread. Mods, maybe it should be moved here.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
            Stig has always maintained you don't lose your position to injury. Sumner is a 3 year starter with all the records. He will start when he returns. I hope for a speedy recovery. Lujan will get some great experience for next year. Thread over.
            Its a nice thing to say, but Ryan Crawford begs to differ...
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
              How will ya feel about that qhen he comes in rusty and throws a couple picks, we lose, and get knocked from conference title contention. Not saying it would happen, but that is a very possible outcome if we are in that position. No way a qb just hops in and plays in midseason form after being out 8 weeks.

Comment

This thread is going to get more heated than the old TOB debates.

Comment

JackMD, Maybe not your area of expertise, but can a guy come back from 3 broken bones in his foot and be at 100% in 8 weeks? As for who should play at that time....it'll probably work itself out.
                  "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Would it make a difference to the receivers I wonder,if they get used to a throwing style,and have it switched all of a sudden?Just asking,a valid question ,i think.

I think the answer will be a receiver has to catch the ball,no matter who throws it to them,though.

Comment

In my experience of breaking six bones, I have to say that they heal quite well. When I saw Sumner get hurt, I hoped that it was a break rather than a high ankle sprain. A low ankle sprain maybe not, but a break hurts a lot and is bad at first, but after eight weeks it feels like it didn't exist. With a high ankle sprain, the problem would have stayed with him for the next year. The only problem would be if the muscle in his leg atrophies too much. This could cause him to be far less effective.
                      "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                        Would it make a difference to the receivers I wonder,if they get used to a throwing style,and have it switched all of a sudden?Just asking,a valid question ,i think.

I think the answer will be a receiver has to catch the ball,no matter who throws it to them,though.
                        Absolutely, it's a valid question. The timing needs to be there and the pace on the ball may be different.

Comment

No matter what the record, you go with Austin.

Reason #1 - he has the playoff experience. This year is about winning in the playoffs, not just getting there. Austin gives you a better chance to win in the playoffs due to experience.

Reason #2. - Austin has more talent at this point in time. Austin won the QB battle in spring and fall camp. He gives the Jacks a better chance to win any game.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                            Its a nice thing to say, but Ryan Crawford begs to differ...

You are Ryan Crawford? I was on YOUR SIDE! Well....maybe not the whole time.......

Crawford did start after his injury and then he didn't do well and TOB was sent in(there was some chanting if you can believe it). He essentially lost his position to performance after the injury(fairly quickly too I might add), if I remember correctly. I won't argue if someone differs with my recollection. But Stig said at that time as well that players would not lose their position to injury.
                            I cant say the same thing wont happen to Sumner if he comes back and is rusty. I'm not on either side of the debate, but just relaying what Stig has always maintained. THat's why I said end of thread because the speculation seems pretty pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper 76 View Post
                              How will ya feel about that qhen he comes in rusty and throws a couple picks, we lose, and get knocked from conference title contention. Not saying it would happen, but that is a very possible outcome if we are in that position. No way a qb just hops in and plays in midseason form after being out 8 weeks.
                              I would feel just as ****ty as you would, Thumper. I don think Stig will throw him out there if he is not ready. To me that is part of the injury-healing process. I think Austin hides a lot of the seriousness of his pain levels from the coaches and trainers too. There were times he just doesn't look right. He didn't look that great at first against Mizzou...then again everyone seemed a little high strung at first.

Comment

Working...
                              X