Week 2: Cal Poly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Week 2: Cal Poly

Cal Poly coach Tim Walsh scoffed at SDSU's ranking. He said the Jacks are among the top 3-4 in the FCS. - Per TV

Comment

Not to change the QB talk but how did Cody Hazlet, the transfer LB from Northern Illinois, look vs Mizzou? Never really heard his name and didn't notice if got much playing time or anything.

Comment

Game notes:

http://www.gojacks.com/pdf9/2778887.pdf

I'm checking the depth chart and Mengarelli has taken over the 2 spot at RB. Obviously, Lujan is listed as the starter at QB and Chris Little is now moved to third on the depth chart.

Offensive Line looks the same from what I can tell. Connor Landberg jumps over Brandon Andrews to the second string behind Schneider.

On defense, Nick Mears gets the nod over Jake Gentile. Other than that, looks the same. I remember watching the game and thinking that Kellen Soulek got quite a bit of time on the line. Nice to see young guys getting minutes as that adds to the depth we'll need up front.

I'm not sure what to make of the 3-4 look with the rush backer or the straight 3-4 we saw a bit last Saturday. Just looks different than normal I guess.
        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
          Not to change the QB talk but how did Cody Hazlet, the transfer LB from Northern Illinois, look vs Mizzou? Never really heard his name and didn't notice if got much playing time or anything.
          Stats show he participated but did not make any tackles.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
            Talk about beating a dead horse - I need to see that cartoon again!!! Stig was not aware of the TOB off field issues - per players on that team. I agree with you that Stig learned from his mistake. I think everyone can learn from their mistakes and change their minds, but not everyone is Stig. But enough thread drift. I guess the only tie is TOB /Cal Poly.

I'm excited to see the Jacks in person on Saturday. If they lose on Saturday, which I highly doubt they will, yes the playoffs would be tough. They'd have to finish in the top two of the conference.

BTW - Sports radio is giving the FCS a lot of credit. Yesterday there was a discussion on how NDSU would finish in the Big Ten. The consensus was that they'd beat Maryland, Northwestern, and Indiana with a chance of beating Rutgers. Today, Cory Chavous said the there is little difference between the top FCS schools and most BCS conferences, including the Big 12. He did say that Iowa State is down this year.

The way the Jacks started the game Saturday, I think they could beat Maryland, Northwestern, and Indiana too.

The main thing is the Jacks go 1-0 this week.
            They'd also very likely beat Minnesota, Purdue & Illinois. I think Iowa would be a coin flip, as would Penn St. I could see NDSU easily finishing in the middle of the pack in the Big10.

Here is an interesting stat: NDSU has more Big12 conference wins over the past 3 seasons than Kansas, who actually plays in the Big12. Unreal!

Sorry for the thread drift, but I couldn't resist chiming in on how terrible the Big10 is.

Comment

I see Nick Mears passed Jake Gentile in the depth chart. Interesting

Comment

Originally posted by sdsu_drake View Post
                I see Nick Mears passed Jake Gentile in the depth chart. Interesting
                Gentile appeared to struggle on the long TD passes -- didn't get turned around at all on the 2nd one.

Comment

Originally posted by Hip2daHop View Post
                  Gentile appeared to struggle on the long TD passes -- didn't get turned around at all on the 2nd one.
                  Was he the defender on the 2nd half TD where we had pressure on the QB he scrabbled but found him in the endzone? Give credit for the WR to make the catch and the QB to make a big throw on the run, but he was right there its like just look for the ball and defend the ball.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

SDSU favored by 14

Comment

What's the weather forecast? Cool, but how cool? Dry at least?
                      @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                      --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                        What's the weather forecast? Cool, but how cool? Dry at least?
                        TBD?
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Gentile was in great position on that 2nd td. He should have got his head turned around on it but when a qb is scrambling like that and the receivers break off they're routs I think the db's focus more on following the wr. I would think there has to be more to it than that particular play to switch them on the depth charts. Probably has more to do with how Mears played than anything. I was very impressed with his run help in particular

Comment

Gentile was in great position on that 2nd td. He should have got his head turned around on it but when a qb is scrambling like that and the receivers break off they're routs I think the db's focus more on following the wr. I would think there has to be more to it than that particular play to switch them on the depth charts. Probably has more to do with how Mears played than anything. I was very impressed with his run help in particular
                            This was Gentile's mo last year, and probably again this year. He is always does a great job of getting himself into position and knows what he is doing out there, he just doesn't make the play on the ball. Jimmie also had that problem last year as well.

Also, who's first on the depth chart doesn't really matter, Mears and Gentile will be rotating in and out all season.

Comment

As a DB you need to learn to look back and play the ball when the WR is looking for the ball. Where his eyes go should be a clue of what you need to do to defend. Which like you said is harder to do on a busted play for sure. They are both going to get a lot of playing time and are going to both need to make some big plays to help shore up the passing game since we had our problems with it last year.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                                As a DB you need to learn to look back and play the ball when the WR is looking for the ball. Where his eyes go should be a clue of what you need to do to defend. Which like you said is harder to do on a busted play for sure. They are both going to get a lot of playing time and are going to both need to make some big plays to help shore up the passing game since we had our problems with it last year.
                                Do you think our DB's are being coached to turn around? It sure seems like they never do which tells me maybe their being coached not to turn around?? Just wondering. I find myself screaming "turn around" year after year.
                                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Working...
                                X