Week 2: Cal Poly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Week 2: Cal Poly

I watched the NMSU game. Cal Poly looked, frankly, pretty bad. It wasn't the same team we have seen in the past, one of my favorite FCS programs. This should be a two touchdown win.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      I watched the NMSU game. Cal Poly looked, frankly, pretty bad. It wasn't the same team we have seen in the past, one of my favorite FCS programs. This should be a two touchdown win.
      I'll take that. I'm really hoping to see ZZ break out for about 200 and take some pressure off his QB even though I think Lujan looked great at Mizzou. Hopefully we can work Lujan into this role over the next three weeks (should win all these games) before we hit conference season.
      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

http://archive.argusleader.com/podcasts/terryv/

TV's podcast with the Cal Poly Beat writer......sounds like a court report, a lot concerning the 5 suspended players.

As for Lujan, I like him so far. His physical measurements read like the QB-who-shall-not-be-named. If he throws like Berry and plays like Berry, I think we can live with that. I think ZZ is going to break it pretty big in this game. Lujan is going to surprise us with 250+ yards, Weinecke and Schneider look like a dual threat nightmare for FCS DB's, lots of YAC(without the fumble this week, please).
        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
          http://archive.argusleader.com/podcasts/terryv/

TV's podcast with the Cal Poly Beat writer......sounds like a court report, a lot concerning the 5 suspended players.

As for Lujan, I like him so far. His physical measurements read like the QB-who-shall-not-be-named. If he throws like Berry and plays like Berry, I think we can live with that. I think ZZ is going to break it pretty big in this game. Lujan is going to surprise us with 250+ yards, Weinecke and Schneider look like a dual threat nightmare for FCS DB's, lots of YAC(without the fumble this week, please).
          Am I being boastful in stating that Lujan might be better than Berry? No quarrel about the effectiveness of Berry, its just that the athletes seem to be more talented with each year.

Comment

It's not often that a new addition immediately lives up to preseason hype. I'm looking forward to seeing what Weinecke does in week two. He started with a bang against a big time opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
              It's not often that a new addition immediately lives up to preseason hype. I'm looking forward to seeing what Weinecke does in week two. He started with a bang against a big time opponent.
              Agreed. Wieneke dropped a ball early in the game on third down play (jitters?), but caught everything else thrown his way. That puts him at 6/7 when targeted? I may have missed an incompletion, and I couldn't find this stat in the box score. Either way, the guys hands are ball-magnets.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                Not entering the fray here on one side or the other, but I would challenge you on one point: how can any of us know, from the outside,that it was "pretty obvious that Stig gave the nod to the upperclassmen when it should have been the younger guy that started." ??
                We really don't know. It's strictly a fan's view sort of thing. Except, IMO, for the TOB case. I'm confident Stig learned from that experience, which is all I want as a fan. Make mistakes, learn from them, get better, move on.

How TOB left the team and how that all went down is a story for another day, but I believe that story ultimately supports the quote above.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                  We really don't know. It's strictly a fan's view sort of thing. Except, IMO, for the TOB case. I'm confident Stig learned from that experience, which is all I want as a fan. Make mistakes, learn from them, get better, move on.

How TOB left the team and how that all went down is a story for another day, but I believe that story ultimately supports the quote above.
                  I'm not going to change your mind, but are you saying Stig and the coaching staff knew about TOB's issues and did nothing???

IMO, you can't use TOB as an example of Stig's loyalty to upperclassmen. He started multiple games as a RsF, including a playoff game. Got any other examples besides a basketball player who didn't know the plays yet?

On to the thread topic: if we don't beat Cal Poly, kiss the playoffs goodbye.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    I'm not going to change your mind, but are you saying Stig and the coaching staff knew about TOB's issues and did nothing???

IMO, you can't use TOB as an example of Stig's loyalty to upperclassmen. He started multiple games as a RsF, including a playoff game. Got any other examples besides a basketball player who didn't know the plays yet?

On to the thread topic: if we don't beat Cal Poly, kiss the playoffs goodbye.
                    Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying and yes, you won't change my mind. The coaches knew it, but more importantly his teammates knew it. Did you see them all come begging for TOB to return to the team when he left?

I'm not knocking TOB in his early years. He did some good things for the program, including the playoff game you mentioned. But he crashed and burned later on and Stig refused to make the change everyone knew needed to happen. How is that not a prime example of him being too loyal?

and on-topic, I don't share your pessimism on the playoffs, even with a loss to Cal Poly. I refuse to automatically assume losses to anyone....even NDSU and UNI on the road.

Comment

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying and yes, you won't change my mind. The coaches knew it, but more importantly his teammates knew it. Did you see them all come begging for TOB to return to the team when he left?

I'm not knocking TOB in his early years. He did some good things for the program, including the playoff game you mentioned. But he crashed and burned later on and Stig refused to make the change everyone knew needed to happen. How is that not a prime example of him being too loyal?

and on-topic, I don't share your pessimism on the playoffs, even with a loss to Cal Poly. I refuse to automatically assume losses to anyone....even NDSU and UNI on the road.
                      Talk about beating a dead horse - I need to see that cartoon again!!! Stig was not aware of the TOB off field issues - per players on that team. I agree with you that Stig learned from his mistake. I think everyone can learn from their mistakes and change their minds, but not everyone is Stig. But enough thread drift. I guess the only tie is TOB /Cal Poly.

I'm excited to see the Jacks in person on Saturday. If they lose on Saturday, which I highly doubt they will, yes the playoffs would be tough. They'd have to finish in the top two of the conference.

BTW - Sports radio is giving the FCS a lot of credit. Yesterday there was a discussion on how NDSU would finish in the Big Ten. The consensus was that they'd beat Maryland, Northwestern, and Indiana with a chance of beating Rutgers. Today, Cory Chavous said the there is little difference between the top FCS schools and most BCS conferences, including the Big 12. He did say that Iowa State is down this year.

The way the Jacks started the game Saturday, I think they could beat Maryland, Northwestern, and Indiana too.

The main thing is the Jacks go 1-0 this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Am I being boastful in stating that Lujan might be better than Berry? No quarrel about the effectiveness of Berry, its just that the athletes seem to be more talented with each year.
                        Thanks for the chuckle Nidaros. Berry had a whole career of great success. Lujan played an adequate game. But I respect your enthusiasm! If Lujan comes close to Berry, the Jacks have a real find! One game at a time. Berry wasn't that long ago and he could really pass the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                          Thanks for the chuckle Nidaros. Berry had a whole career of great success. Lujan played an adequate game. But I respect your enthusiasm! If Lujan comes close to Berry, the Jacks have a real find! One game at a time. Berry wasn't that long ago and he could really pass the ball.
                          The chuckle at my expense I can handle, but considering our opponent last week Lujan can carry us a long ways. We shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                            Stig was not aware of the TOB off field issues - per players on that team.
                            It was his $hitty play that should have dictated his benching, regardless of what was going on off the field. I will second your motion for no more thread drift. TOB has his place in SDSU football history, that's for sure.

What scares me about Cal Poly is their triple option. It is damn near impossible to prepare for in practice.......very difficult to simulate as the triple-option teams are so much more efficient in running it. That's why you see teams like Navy give others fits week in and week out.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              The chuckle at my expense I can handle, but considering our opponent last week Lujan can carry us a long ways. We shall see.
                              I sure hope so. I'm with you.

It would be great if Lujan keeps progressing. Plus hoping we get Sumner back at mid season. I just was a big Berry fan. He handled himself with class and again, the man could pass the ball, especially the deep ball.

The chuckle was a respectful chuckle about you enthusiasm. You are a true fan.

Comment

It was his $hitty play that should have dictated his benching, regardless of what was going on off the field. I will second your motion for no more thread drift. TOB has his place in SDSU football history, that's for sure.

What scares me about Cal Poly is their triple option. It is damn near impossible to prepare for in practice.......very difficult to simulate as the triple-option teams are so much more efficient in running it. That's why you see teams like Navy give others fits week in and week out.
                                Navy is amazing. Good point. I'm hoping Cal Poly missing 5 players neutralizes this.

I also couldn't possibly agree with you more about TOB and his manure like/gutless play. Not a leader. Thankfully it is history.

Comment

Working...
                                X