Week 2: Cal Poly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 2: Cal Poly

Well...time to get the next party started. Cal Poly and their communist brand of triple option football comes to Coughlin Alumni Stadium this week. In the past they have given us a little bit of trouble with their play calling. They will be fast, but not faster than Missouri. I assume their OLineman are undersized for a reason and are pretty athletic(heaviest is 280), I don't think one of. The Dline I assume is also designed to be fast and athletic or they are just on the smallish size. I always enjoy watching the triple option and Cal Poly usually has a solid team. Of course nothing makes me happier than beating a team in the Big Sky.

In my opinion this is a must win game for the Jacks, a loss here will be devastating given we play NDSU and UNI at their places this year. Thoughts..... GO!

link to their athletic site

http://www.gopoly.com/landing/index

Message board

http://calpolymustangs.yuku.com/foru...s#.VAOtL-8g-Uk
    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Re: Week 2: Cal Poly

When this season's schedule was announced I was really excited to see SDSU on it. I have always enjoyed games against are old conference mate and the games are usually good ones. I really respect your program and I think you have some of the best fans in the FCS.

Cal Poly has gone through a lot this season with the arrest and suspension of five players including preseason All-American RB Kristaan Ivory. We have also been hit by the injury bug and played last week without the services of two starting O-linemen and two starting D-lineman last week. The two D-linemen are expected back this week and I believe one of the O-linemen is also.

I saw parts of SDSU's game against Missouri and as always I was impressed with SDSU. My heart went out to you when Sumner went down, but was impressed with Lujan. I can say that if Cal Poly does not make huge strides before this weekend this will not be much of a game. Like SDSU, this is a critical game for a Cal Poly's playoff hopes. We played a lot of young players and had some starters sit out our first game so I am hoping maybe against hope that we will make some big strides (having a few extra days after playing Thursday should help) and can at least make this a game.

Will this game be televised or video streamed?

Comment

Originally posted by SloStang View Post
      When this season's schedule was announced I was really excited to see SDSU on it. I have always enjoyed games against are old conference mate and the games are usually good ones. I really respect your program and I think you have some of the best fans in the FCS.

Cal Poly has gone through a lot this season with the arrest and suspension of five players including preseason All-American RB Kristaan Ivory. We have also been hit by the injury bug and played last week without the services of two starting O-linemen and two starting D-lineman last week. The two D-linemen are expected back this week and I believe one of the O-linemen is also.

I saw parts of SDSU's game against Missouri and as always I was impressed with SDSU. My heart went out to you when Sumner went down, but was impressed with Lujan. I can say that if Cal Poly does not make huge strides before this weekend this will not be much of a game. Like SDSU, this is a critical game for a Cal Poly's playoff hopes. We played a lot of young players and had some starters sit out our first game so I am hoping maybe against hope that we will make some big strides (having a few extra days after playing Thursday should help) and can at least make this a game.

I watched a good part of your game against NMSU. You still have those plays referred to by Coach Stig as Communist Football, of course he has had a big grin on his face when he has made that reference. I think once your guys start to execute on those triple option plays, things will be much different. I believe SDSU will stream this game. I will not be there. Cal Poly still looked pretty solid despite all that has happened. I would expect a very close game.

Comment

Originally posted by SloStang View Post

I watched a good portion of the Cal Poly/NMSU game and was really rooting for the Mustangs to win that one. Out of all the Big Sky teams, Cal Poly is easily my favorite.

That said, Cal Poly didn't look as good as I thought they would against NMSU. Doesn't mean the Jacks have it easy this week, though, because the brand of option CP runs (I believe it is the flexbone, but feel free to correct me) has given us fits before, particularly the dive play off the option. The last time we played Poly at their place we got clubbed like a baby seal.

I expect a good game regardless of the Mustangs injuries and off-the-field issues because they are a disciplined squad that's well coached.
        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

When we play at cal poly and we finished the first half the way we did sdsu was in a funk. But out of that game was the turn around to what we see today. Hopefully the team rallys around lujan and sumner and takes another step. How bad that game went turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Always like seeing cal poly on the schedule. Hope we continue more home and away series with um.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

What can anyone tell me about #16 Zach Lujan beyond the GO JACKS Post -
            Zach excelled in the junior college ranks before deciding to transfer to South Dakota State ... is expected to compete for the backup quarterback role this season
            BEFORE SDSU
            Began collegiate playing career at Chabot College in California, where he was named 2013 Golden Gate Conference Offensive Player of the Year and league most valuable player ... played in all 11 games, completing 59 percent (139-of-235) of his passes for 1,820 yards and 15 touchdowns against only four interceptions ... also ranked second on team with 230 rushing yards, and added three touchdowns on the ground ... member of the all-California Community College Team after leading Chabot to 8-3 record ... named 2013 Central Division Bowl Offensive Player of the Game ... was a three-time all-state selection at South Anchorage High School from 2010-12 ... graduated *** laude and was a member of the National Honor Society

I thought he did an excellent job. Very good juco recruit. Which coach recruited him? Why did he decide to go to SDSU (obviously Sumner being a Sr. helped here)? and so on.... What did Mitchell say about him?

I say kudos to Stig and the staff for finding and developing him so soon. Where would the Jacks be without him now?

BTW - NDSU beating Iowa State was very impressive. Though I hate to say it - Hats off to them, they proved it on the field. - I tried to get tickets for the Jacks vs. the Bison in Fargo but they sold out in three hours...

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
              ... also ranked second on team with 230 rushing yards, and added three touchdowns on the ground ...
              So can we actually consider Lujan a "dual-threat" QB? He appears to be much more mobile than Sumner, but I'm not sure I'd classify him as a running QB based on what I've seen in 1 game.

I'm hopeful we will have an added dimension to our offense with the read option. While Sumner could get some nice yards keeping the option, we need a QB that can break one. That will likely result in many more openings and yards for Zenner.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                So can we actually consider Lujan a "dual-threat" QB? He appears to be much more mobile than Sumner, but I'm not sure I'd classify him as a running QB based on what I've seen in 1 game.

I'm hopeful we will have an added dimension to our offense with the read option. While Sumner could get some nice yards keeping the option, we need a QB that can break one. That will likely result in many more openings and yards for Zenner.
                True what you say...

The only issue is Lujan isn't big enough to take a lot of hits. Plus then you are down to your third string QB. - Good thing Stig let the sophomore, Lujan win the back up job over the Jr.... just saying....

I agree that running an occasional read option helps open the field up for Zenner.

Are we seeing the QB of the future for the Jacks??

Comment

One thing that's nice about Zach Lujan coming from a JuCo is that he isn't as green as a QB whose only college QB experience is taking reps in practice. Obviously JuCo isn't the same as NCAA DI, but the right school/level of Juco is significantly above high school football (I've mentioned this in basketball recruiting before, but there can be a huge disparity in level of competition from one junior college program to another). Chabot College 2013 transfers outside of Zach Lujan have landed at Cal Poly, Northern Arizona, and Incarnate Word along with 4 others going DII, so it appears he got his feet wet against decent competition.
                  If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

If our QB has the ability to run (whether Lujan or someone else), I'm not opposed to more QB keepers. However, IMHO, I think Schneider and Wieneke will have a bigger effect on opening things up for Zenner. I liked how they performed vs one-on-one coverage at Mizzou. We will see how it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                      - Good thing Stig let the sophomore, Lujan win the back up job over the Jr.... just saying....
                      I don't want to derail the thread, but I'm not going to let this one slide. You stated that the Stig loyalty to upperclassmen was a "myth". Several posters listed several examples (some more egregious then others) of where it was pretty obvious that Stig gave the nod to the upperclassmen when it should have been the younger guy that started.

Then, after the examples were listed, you turn around and supplement your point with the fact that Stig has started underclassmen over upperclassmen in the past. No one is debating that point with you. No one ever stated that Stig starts the upperclassmen every time. So why do you keep bringing it up?

Comment

Am I the only one who got kinda a Ryan Berry feel from Lujan last game? Or am I crazy?

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper 76 View Post
                          Am I the only one who got kinda a Ryan Berry feel from Lujan last game? Or am I crazy?
                          I'm with you 100%. He even throws with that "shot put" type of motion that used to drive me crazy about Berry, but man did he make it work back then!!
                          If Lujan has even half the success, we'll be OK.
                          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I don't want to derail the thread, but I'm not going to let this one slide. You stated that the Stig loyalty to upperclassmen was a "myth". Several posters listed several examples (some more egregious then others) of where it was pretty obvious that Stig gave the nod to the upperclassmen when it should have been the younger guy that started.

Then, after the examples were listed, you turn around and supplement your point with the fact that Stig has started underclassmen over upperclassmen in the past. No one is debating that point with you. No one ever stated that Stig starts the upperclassmen every time. So why do you keep bringing it up?

Not entering the fray here on one side or the other, but I would challenge you on one point: how can any of us know, from the outside,that it was "pretty obvious that Stig gave the nod to the upperclassmen when it should have been the younger guy that started." ??

Comment

Cal Poly's QB's went 2-7 for 6 yds vs. NMSU.
                              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Working...
                              X