Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT week 1

Originally posted by FeistyRedheadAZ View Post
    We didn't get shut out. I'm good with that.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    Je Ryan had a good game. Nothing spectacular but he did what was required of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Je Ryan had a good game. Nothing spectacular but he did what was required of him.
      I agree, the secondary and linebackers had great coverage, Mauk was running all over trying to find someone open and just couldn't. Our DE's were a little undersized for their OL and couldn't get to him. I think against FCS opponents they are going to wreak havoc. Just my humble opinion of course.
      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

I agree. Lujan looked pretty good. The interception he threw into the end zone was basically a jump ball. Against a lot of teams, the Jacks probably would scored on that play. Against Missouri, it was a costly mistake.
        This space for lease.

Comment

I regret I will miss the Cal Poly game, but not the Oshkosh game. Going to be gone for about 21 days, but have an I phone to check in once and a while. Lujan seems to be the man right now.

Comment

I only watched some of the second half. Seemed the pass protection was pretty good but with 5 kids running around playing it was hard to pay close attention. Not sure how much coverage mizzu was bringing but that's a good sign. Seemd in the second half not much room to run at all so run blocking did not seem as good. Lujan seemed composed and a solid arm. His int was a little underthrown it seemed. Weinke seems legit. Good control good hands and size. He is gonna be a star.

Defense seemed like they were right there just a step behind. Mizzus speed was noticeable. Speed we won't see again all year. Just a good game and and effort overall. They were close to making some big plays. Missed playing the ball on the td pass where we had him on the scramble but that was a good effort on their part.

The turnovers hurt. Wonder how much closer we get with out those 2nd half turnovers. Good game liked what I saw and a lot of good to build off of. Lines seem good not a major weakness after game 1. Sucks for sumner but for now move forward with those you have. Lujan is the guy know. We are going to lean more next week.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              I only watched some of the second half. Seemed the pass protection was pretty good but with 5 kids running around playing it was hard to pay close attention. Not sure how much coverage mizzu was bringing but that's a good sign. Seemd in the second half not much room to run at all so run blocking did not seem as good. Lujan seemed composed and a solid arm. His int was a little underthrown it seemed.
              Lujan's INT was overthrown.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                Thanks,i was wondering about that myself,cause it perplexed me,his man was open and he threw the ball over his head for the INT.

Comment

Thoughts:

First, I feel terrible for Austin. The injury looked bad on replay, but I was hoping it was just an ankle/foot sprain, but obviously that was not the case.

I was disappointed with how we started out the game just because I thought we didn't look confident. Would like to see a little more swagger and focus from the get-go. Sadly, it took Sumner going down for the team to buckle down and "play every play as if it was their last."

After the 1st quarter, I saw tons of things to be optimist about. Zach Lujan performed better than any rational person could expect given the situation. Lujan didn't play scared and threw some very nice balls. The receivers looked pretty impressive as well once they were put in position to take advantage of their size. We knew what Schneider could do, but Wieneke getting over 100 yards receiving in his first collegiate game against a SEC team is impressive. That kid is going to be stud.

The offensive line preformed really well considering how good those DE's of Missouri were. We won't face any DE's with that combination of size and athleticism for the rest of the year. I'm not sure if we'll get the same type of push this year from the O-line given their size, but they seemed to work well together as a unit. Not missing assignments and holding blocks will more than make up for the size lost from last year's line.

Also, the defense stopping the Missouri offense for 6 straight series deserves a tip of the cap. After the first 4 series, I was proud of the way the defense played.

I thought it was interesting that we were using a lot of 3 man fronts with Sherlock moving around and playing a rushing linebacker. The D line started a little slow, but seemed to find a groove and started causing some disruption in the Missouri backfield. I expected Langer to beat some blocks and push back the line of scrimmage (and he did), but Auston LaBlance had some really nice plays in there was well.

Linebackers and secondary did an excellent job in pass coverage after the first 4 drives, especially considering we were only rushing 3 for a fair amount of the time. There were a few, "Wow, that ball carrier is fast" moments on their part, but that's to be expected when your playing a team as athletic as the Tigers.

Special teams could use some improvement. Syrovatka had a nice FG and the punt coverage looked fine, but the KOR for a TD and the shanked punt really hurt our chances in this game. Hope there is some improvement in this department throughout the season.

Overall, I'm happy with what I saw and am optimistic about our chances going forward. We competed with an upper echlon SEC team (with our backup quarterback, no less), and that's impressive in and of itself. Hopefully this team can rally around Austin's injury and take it to Cal Poly next week.
                  If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                    Like I said it wsnt easy paying attention to the game and all the details. Thanks for the correction.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Like I said it wsnt easy paying attention to the game and all the details. Thanks for the correction.
                      SDSU Football Game > 5 kids

Get your priorities straight, Goon!
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                        SDSU Football Game > 5 kids

Get your priorities straight, Goon!
                        Only 2 were mine. 3 are nieces and we had the nebraska game on also in the same room. Hard to pay attention for sure. We were at the omaha zoo earlier so missed the first half.

Comment

Only 2 were mine. 3 are nieces and we had the nebraska game on also in the same room. Hard to pay attention for sure. We were at the omaha zoo earlier so missed the first half.
                          Did you pet any sweaty things at the zoo? Just kidding! Dorley zoo is a great place. I did not see the INT either, was on my way to my 55th Class Reuion. HS kind ,graduated in 1959.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                            Thoughts:

First, I feel terrible for Austin. The injury looked bad on replay, but I was hoping it was just an ankle/foot sprain, but obviously that was not the case.

I was disappointed with how we started out the game just because I thought we didn't look confident. Would like to see a little more swagger and focus from the get-go. Sadly, it took Sumner going down for the team to buckle down and "play every play as if it was their last."

After the 1st quarter, I saw tons of things to be optimist about. Zach Lujan performed better than any rational person could expect given the situation. Lujan didn't play scared and threw some very nice balls. The receivers looked pretty impressive as well once they were put in position to take advantage of their size. We knew what Schneider could do, but Wieneke getting over 100 yards receiving in his first collegiate game against a SEC team is impressive. That kid is going to be stud.

The offensive line preformed really well considering how good those DE's of Missouri were. We won't face any DE's with that combination of size and athleticism for the rest of the year. I'm not sure if we'll get the same type of push this year from the O-line given their size, but they seemed to work well together as a unit. Not missing assignments and holding blocks will more than make up for the size lost from last year's line.

Also, the defense stopping the Missouri offense for 6 straight series deserves a tip of the cap. After the first 4 series, I was proud of the way the defense played.

I thought it was interesting that we were using a lot of 3 man fronts with Sherlock moving around and playing a rushing linebacker. The D line started a little slow, but seemed to find a groove and started causing some disruption in the Missouri backfield. I expected Langer to beat some blocks and push back the line of scrimmage (and he did), but Auston LaBlance had some really nice plays in there was well.

Linebackers and secondary did an excellent job in pass coverage after the first 4 drives, especially considering we were only rushing 3 for a fair amount of the time. There were a few, "Wow, that ball carrier is fast" moments on their part, but that's to be expected when your playing a team as athletic as the Tigers.

Special teams could use some improvement. Syrovatka had a nice FG and the punt coverage looked fine, but the KOR for a TD and the shanked punt really hurt our chances in this game. Hope there is some improvement in this department throughout the season.

Overall, I'm happy with what I saw and am optimistic about our chances going forward. We competed with an upper echlon SEC team (with our backup quarterback, no less), and that's impressive in and of itself. Hopefully this team can rally around Austin's injury and take it to Cal Poly next week.
                            This is a very good summary. I'd add a few things and maybe challenge a couple.

First, you are being too kind on the special teams. They killed the Jacks, particularly that 20-yard punt from deep in our zone and, obviously, that TD return. Jacks simply need to get better in that category to be consistently good.
                            Second, not enough credit has been given to the in-game coaching adjustments. After Sumner went down, the Jacks actually threw more, and threw deeper, than they had when Sumner was in the game. Some really nice long pass plays happened as a result. That came directly from the booth, had to.. Third, the defense may have played the best of any unit after the first six minutes. Jacks blitzed more as the game went on, and at the right time. The touchdown pass that made it 35-18 came on a blitz and should have been a sack, and the TD (with the pushoff by the WR, I might add) would not have happened with a sack. Had the Jacks stopped them there, on the fringe of FG range, they were still in the game.
                            Fourth, the Jacks have some outstanding receivers and if Lujan can play on the level he played yesterday, the passing game this year might be a lot better than people expect, even without Sumner.
                            Fifth, sometimes I think we take for granted what a great team ballplayer Zenner is. He had a couple key blocks on pass plays. Zenner caught seven balls yesterday. He simply outran one of those world-class-speed DBs that the Mizzou fan came on here and bragged about. Scouts are going to see that play and the seven catches and his NFL appeal will go up even more. He had an outstanding game yesterday even if he was mostly stopped on the ground after that first long run. Kid could be a prima dona bit clearly is a team player. Should cherish his every carry this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              JeRyan had a good game. Nothing spectacular but he did what was required of him.
                              I agree. Safe travels ☺

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                                For those that may be wondering, I believe the medical hardship application requires the SA to be incapacitated for the remainder of the season.

Edit: I haven't been able to track down the actual bylaw, but there are plenty of applications to be found via Google.
                                6-8 weeks is only a guess, not determined at this point, and anything beyond 8 is arguably rest of season anyway.
                                And they are always appealable anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X