ZZ on Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ZZ on Top

Interesting question and a hard one to answer. Also, probably pretty pointless comparison.

Like others have said, Nate did it all in the top level of NCAA competition and got drafted and had by all accounts a very successful rookie year. He captured the attention of the entire nation in the NCAA tournament.

That kind of attention is never given to FCS football players. Zenner has also by all accounts been fantastic. Nidaros is correct in stating that his off the field acheivements are equally if not more impressive. They are here to get an education right? He's a good of a student-athlete as you could ever expect to see at the FCS level. Can he compete at the higher level. I say hell yes. Look at the yards he put up against Nebraska, Kansas, NDSU, and the others. The numbers are staggering.

But to compare them? Pretty tough. They will both be SDSU legends and examples about what is good about college athletics! The nod right now would have to go to Nate because the stage was bigger and he succeeded but the book isn't closed. I think the most exciting chapter is still to be written. Maybe in a year we can look at this thread and make a better argument.

I'm just thrilled to have the pleasure to have watched them both. I don't care who you are or where you are from, if you watch the highlight reels on these guys you can't help but be impressed. Obviously they could have played at much higher levels than here. I just hope Minnesota never figures things out and we continue to land these gems.

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      This thread makes me chuckle.

Nate led our basketball team to back to back NCAA tourneys (The highest level in basketball). ZZ has led us to a first round win in the FCS playoffs (glorified DII, lets be real its not the highest level) twice. For those of you who think im nuts. How many big schools has the football team beaten? How about basketball? New Mexico and Washington ring a bell?

If ZZ leads us to the semis this year he has a case.
      At the risk of inflicting further boredom (I'd much rather be rehashing the merits of northwest Iowa football recruiting, IT's A JOKE!): Point well taken, Montana, but would you also agree that as far as comparative reputations, SDSU had a far more solid basketball than football reputation entering the D-1 era; hence there was ostensilby further to go, irrespective of the early struggles of men's basketball. Now the Jacks are seen as mid-major power, in a sense, in both sports. Zenner is arguably the most responsible for that in football, although as I said, a case can be made for Batten. Semis sounds great, BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
        At the risk of inflicting further boredom (I'd much rather be rehashing the merits of northwest Iowa football recruiting, IT's A JOKE!): Point well taken, Montana, but would you also agree that as far as comparative reputations, SDSU had a far more solid basketball than football reputation entering the D-1 era; hence there was ostensilby further to go, irrespective of the early struggles of men's basketball. Now the Jacks are seen as mid-major power, in a sense, in both sports. Zenner is arguably the most responsible for that in football, although as I said, a case can be made for Batten. Semis sounds great, BTW.
        Can't leave Sumner out of that for what he did stepping into a rough situation and helped turn this thing around for football. his passing and Moss big capabilities were huge, but ZZ became a highlight reel everygame starting his Soph year. Wolters also had maybe as much talent around him as any athlete at SDSU. A lot of what Wolters did made the rest of the team look good yet they made 3s and contributed to help Wolters game. Wolters was on a bigger stage but in the big picture SDSU basketball has had a ton of success before that, the football team hasnt had much until the last 5 years. Well aside from the transition years for basketball. Just for the fun of aruements, I would say probably Vogel should be in the arguement too. She was big time, played great at SDSU, got drafted, has had a good career it seems coaching after her playing days. The attendance numbers we had for some of those womens games were a big part of how good she was and what she was able to do.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          Can't leave Sumner out of that for what he did stepping into a rough situation and helped turn this thing around for football. his passing and Moss big capabilities were huge, but ZZ became a highlight reel everygame starting his Soph year. Wolters also had maybe as much talent around him as any athlete at SDSU. A lot of what Wolters did made the rest of the team look good yet they made 3s and contributed to help Wolters game. Wolters was on a bigger stage but in the big picture SDSU basketball has had a ton of success before that, the football team hasnt had much until the last 5 years. Well aside from the transition years for basketball. Just for the fun of aruements, I would say probably Vogel should be in the arguement too. She was big time, played great at SDSU, got drafted, has had a good career it seems coaching after her playing days. The attendance numbers we had for some of those womens games were a big part of how good she was and what she was able to do.
          Excellent Vogel point

Comment

Are we having fun yet?

Comment

Well, just to spice things up...ZZ is one heck of a guy as is Nate. Both were/are outstanding students GPA wise. As far as comparing ZZ's other activities with Nate...please remember that football players are learning and playing for 3 months of the school year (less if you don't make the playoffs), and travel away on six or seven weekends. Basketball players are on the court more than four months and travel out of town a bunch of times, and many weekdays. I'm not defending or criticizing either sport, just looking at the facts, and they say to me that basketball players have more of a balancing act on playing and learning.

As far as saying who is most relevant or has greatest impact, I would say Nate only because of the sport he plays. We have had numerous alumni make NFL teams, and some of them are legends (NFL Hall of Famer, and another probably on the way). Except for a short stint, we have never had a basketball player selected in the second round of the NBA draft, and have as good a first year in the spotlight, as Nate. He brought SDSU into the national limelight. In fairness, it is a lot harder for a football player to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                Well, just to spice things up...ZZ is one heck of a guy as is Nate. Both were/are outstanding students GPA wise. As far as comparing ZZ's other activities with Nate...please remember that football players are learning and playing for 3 months of the school year (less if you don't make the playoffs), and travel away on six or seven weekends. Basketball players are on the court more than four months and travel out of town a bunch of times, and many weekdays. I'm not defending or criticizing either sport, just looking at the facts, and they say to me that basketball players have more of a balancing act on playing and learning.

As far as saying who is most relevant or has greatest impact, I would say Nate only because of the sport he plays. We have had numerous alumni make NFL teams, and some of them are legends (NFL Hall of Famer, and another probably on the way). Except for a short stint, we have never had a basketball player selected in the second round of the NBA draft, and have as good a first year in the spotlight, as Nate. He brought SDSU into the national limelight. In fairness, it is a lot harder for a football player to do that.
                Well reasoned, #1
                So prediction on yards Zenner gets against Missouri?

Comment

Small Mid major basketball conferences are basketball's version of FCS football. We get about the same number of opportunities to play a major team to get recognition.

Comment

Here is a prediction on Zenner. 23 carries, 124 yards, one touchdown.

Comment

IMO, Wolters was muuuuuuch more important for SDSU athletics than Zenner is so far. The only way I could see that change is if Zenner wins the Payton and the team goes very deep in the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by HandoEX View Post
                        IMO, Wolters was muuuuuuch more important for SDSU athletics than Zenner is so far. The only way I could see that change is if Zenner wins the Payton and the team goes very deep in the playoffs.
                        Would getting 25 Zenners against the Bison also push him over the top?

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          Not even close. ZZ will be the best to ever play his position, but here are 21 other positions on a fb team. Nate is the best basketball player to ever put on a Jack uniform and carried his team to two NCAA tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
                            Not even close. ZZ will be the best to ever play his position, but here are 21 other positions on a fb team. Nate is the best basketball player to ever put on a Jack uniform and carried his team to two NCAA tournaments.
                            It was a joke, sorry should have put in a smiley face.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                              According to Bisonville a Zenner is equal to four yards, his total rushing against SDSU last year. You do the math in case you did not get what UWM was referring to.

Comment

Despite the fact that the yards were hard to come by after that first long run, ZZ showed on several other fronts why he could be a high draft pick
                                1. He flat-out outran one of those world-class-speed DBs that the Mizzou fan came on the board to brag about.
                                2. He caught seven passes for 41 yards.
                                3. He had key protection blocks on a couple of plays.
                                4. He was a decoy a lot as the Jacks threw the ball effectiely against what was supposed to be a vaunted Mizzou defense.
                                Kid could have the aura of prima dona; instead appears to be consummate team player.

Comment

Working...
                                X