Brazil Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazil Info

For those interested. Here is the wikipedia page on the team we play today. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esporte...os_(basketball) From what I know, this is the best team we will play during our visit. They beat a USA D3 all-star team by about 20 last week (up 35 during the game). The team arrived at their hotel about 9:00am our time this am. Looks like the top 7 going into this first game based on practice Saturday is Larson, Bittle, Parks, Flatten, Devine, Horstmann, Theisen and Tellingson. Some surprises on that list for sure.

Re: Brazil Info

Yes, this isn't like playing Manitoba University or Winnipeg. I would guess the Jackrabbits are the underdog in this matchup.
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 3ptJackrabbit View Post
      For those interested. Here is the wikipedia page on the team we play today. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esporte...os_(basketball) From what I know, this is the best team we will play during our visit. They beat a USA D3 all-star team by about 20 last week (up 35 during the game). The team arrived at their hotel about 9:00am our time this am. Looks like the top 7 going into this first game based on practice Saturday is Larson, Bittle, Parks, Flatten, Devine, Horstmann, Theisen and Tellingson. Some surprises on that list for sure.
      That's also what I have heard. What happened to Broman? I would also expect some sort of contribution from Severyn. I have heard from multiple people that Theisen is a STUD and will end up being a steal for the Jacks. I talked to Flatten at Potato Day this weekend and he is excited about the trip and playing other teams instead of scrimmaging each other every day.
      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Sounds like Anders is struggling shooting the ball and with his confidence. A little Brazilian heat maybe just what he needs to get going.

Comment

Broman will have a limited role. Need him to be a 3-point sniper. I don't see him playing more than 15 minutes per game.

Larson is a monster, maybe the strongest guy SDSU has ever had. Would be unstoppable if he could play facing the basket as well as he does with his back to the basket. Has to be better at the foul line.

Bittle is likely the wild card early in the year. If he can stay out of foul trouble he can shut down other teams scorers and he has some flashes of offensive brilliance.

Horstmann will be steady, I don't think we can expect much more than that.

Flatten is very, very athletic and was a great scorer in high school. Not sure how that will translate but I think he will eventually be a great player.

Devine is a project, hoping he has made progress over the off season. I don't think we can expect him to be a primary scorer. Boards and blocked shots will be where he contributes.

Don't know much about Parks, Theisen or Tellingson. Assuming they brought Parks in to handle the ball with Bittle until Marshall is eligible. Theisen is one big Freshman. Not surprised that he is ahead of Doyle.

Appreciate any updates from Brazil.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

. Looks like the top 7 going into this first game based on practice Saturday is Larson, Bittle, Parks, Flatten, Devine, Horstmann, Theisen and Tellingson. Some surprises on that list for sure.
            I believe it's Tellinghuisen. It will be interesting to see if a couple of the wing players can show the ability to provide a perimeter threat. You know teams are going to look at the Jacks and say that they need to contain Larson at all costs. That should open up the outside.

Comment

Theisen came in from a big time program in Osseo (Twin Cities) and not surprised he is doing well in the early practices. His body is ready for the college game as a true freshman and will be hard to redshirt him. I thought Tellinghuisen and Daum were most likely to redshirt of the true freshman. I imagine Parks will most likely play some 1 and more 2 guard when Marshall is eligible. Parks as a Juco player and Flint Michigan product comes with a lot of experience and would not be surprised to see him become a major contributor. I expect Flatten to really explode on the scene as he gains experience and confidence. Hope to see Devine take a step forward. Perhaps Doyle and Severyn need a bit more time to develop and will see spot duty as seasons progresses. Hard to believe Horstman is a Senior. He has been in the program longer than anyone else and hopefully will have a productive year and a leader on the squad. I see Broman coming in as a spark off the bench knocking down some 3's. I think we will see a lot more out of Cody this season as he will relied on to provide a lot more scoring and leadership.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                Theisen came in from a big time program in Osseo (Twin Cities) and not surprised he is doing well in the early practices. His body is ready for the college game as a true freshman and will be hard to redshirt him. I thought Tellinghuisen and Daum were most likely to redshirt of the true freshman. I imagine Parks will most likely play some 1 and more 2 guard when Marshall is eligible. Parks as a Juco player and Flint Michigan product comes with a lot of experience and would not be surprised to see him become a major contributor. I expect Flatten to really explode on the scene as he gains experience and confidence. Hope to see Devine take a step forward. Perhaps Doyle and Severyn need a bit more time to develop and will see spot duty as seasons progresses. Hard to believe Horstman is a Senior. He has been in the program longer than anyone else and hopefully will have a productive year and a leader on the squad. I see Broman coming in as a spark off the bench knocking down some 3's. I think we will see a lot more out of Cody this season as he will relied on to provide a lot more scoring and leadership.
                I agree. I think I read something somewhere about his toughness. There are a lot of players in Nagy's era known almost exclusively for their toughness.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                  I agree. I think I read something somewhere about his toughness. There are a lot of players in Nagy's era known almost exclusively for their toughness.
                  You have to be tough to survive, thrive and get out of Flint.

Comment

According to Jackrabbit Athletic tweets the Jacks lost 84-63 today.

Comment

According to Jackrabbit Athletic tweets the Jacks lost 84-63 today.
                      I bet Coach Nagy found a few things today about his roster.

Comment

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=209604545
                        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

The word I got was basically, Cody and Jake led the way. But it was tough sledding down low. Sounds like we got killed on the boards but I'm also pretty sure we won't face a team of 28 year olds during the season. Apparently, Coach K had played against one of the Brazilian players when he was a pro. I really wish this game would have been played at the end of the trip instead of the beginning. Pretty sure we'd have gotten a better effort out the team.

Comment

Tellinghuisen is the guy who intrigues me the most. He's a guy who I really think could be special. Just basing this off the few highlight videos I saw of him in HS when he committed.

I don't know and haven't seen enough of the other new and young guys to have formed any opinion...and to be fair, I haven't seen enough of him either...it was just the feeling I got watching him. He had a different look about him than say, Broman did.

Tough to lose, but the trip is all about learning and developing roles. I'd rather have them play a mature team of 28 year olds and lose, than play some team of scrubs that they whoop up on by 20-30.

Comment

starters included Parks, Jacobsen, Bittle, Larson, and Horstmann.
                              https://twitter.com/TerryVandrovec
                              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                              X