2014 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Season

I can't take this lay-off much longer. Plus, we are lacking discussion regarding this upcoming year. Let's kick this thing off. It is July already. Any thoughts on starters for the upcoming season? Here are my thoughts. Flame away:

Offense

QB - Sumner
    RB - ZZ
    WR - Jason Schneider
    WR - Jake Wieneke
    WR - Trevor Wesley
    TE - Cam Jones
    (FB) - Mitch Vejvoda/Chad Strehlow
    LT - Nick Carr
    LG - Andrew Mueller
    C - Nick Purcell
    RG - Mike Schoff
    RT - Trevor Greger

Defense

NT - Cole Langer
    DT - No clue, maybe Auston LaBlance?
    DE - J.R. Plote
    DE - Jack Sherlock
    LB - TJ Lally
    LB - Tom Peitz
    LB - Jesse Bobbit
    CB - Je Ryan Butler
    CB - Jimmie Forsythe
    S - Jake Gentile
    S - Melvin Tavares

Here's a link to the Roster: http://www.gojacks.com/SportSelect.d...RINTABLE_PAGE=

I think they have Chris Little's weight wrong, perhaps. If he's 280, I hope he's as good as Jared Lorenzen.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Re: 2014 Season

I might have Elmore starting at linebacker unless I'm missing information.

Comment

I like that look. I would have Brickacek in at defensive tackle next to Langer. He's 6'5 and when I watched him on a few plays last year he made no tackles but he was strong and held his ground really well. Unless LaBlance improves he's a mediocre lineman at best imo.

Comment

Originally posted by discoDancinJackrabbit View Post
        I like that look. I would have Brickacek in at defensive tackle next to Langer. He's 6'5 and when I watched him on a few plays last year he made no tackles but he was strong and held his ground really well. Unless LaBlance improves he's a mediocre lineman at best imo.
        Didn't see him on the roster at last glance. I'll see what I can find out. Maybe it's an oversight.

Comment

I agree with almost everybody, the 3 LBackers will be Bobbit, Lally, and Elmore (he was our best playmaker on D last year).

Wieneke was one of my favorite recruits last year and I fully expect him to contribute this year, but he won't start, at least right away. The first team WR's will probably be Schneider, Andrews, and Wesley and the number two's will be a combo of Wright, Landberg, L. Jones, and Wieneke.

The interior DL rotation will be Langer and LaBlance, with Soulek, Dibb, and Gottlob rotating in (as it appeared from spring reports). Anybody know why Bricachek(sorry bad spelling) isn't listed?

Comment

**** he isn't on the roster anymore. Didn't hear anything about that.

Comment

Here is another question, who will be the number 2 QB come the end of Fall Camp. Right now we have Sumner at 1, then Douglas and Finnes followed by a JUCO newcomer in Lujan who appears to pretty good and of course freshman Little.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                Didn't see him on the roster at last glance. I'll see what I can find out. Maybe it's an oversight.
                Brichacek switched to O-line halfway through the season last year. Haven't heard if he has left the team or not.

Comment

I suppose I would like to see Douglas outshine those other two guys. Just because I did some research on Douglas when he committed. But really tho I'm pumped about Little, he looks promising and hopefully turns into a good quarterback soon.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                    Brichacek switched to O-line halfway through the season last year. Haven't heard if he has left the team or not.
                    Recall that now that you mention it.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
                      Here is another question, who will be the number 2 QB come the end of Fall Camp. Right now we have Sumner at 1, then Douglas and Finnes followed by a JUCO newcomer in Lujan who appears to pretty good and of course freshman Little.
                      What kind of year do you see Sumner having ?

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                        He's still in school but is no longer playing.

Comment

My Take on KULawJack's depth chart with Goosie's input.

QB - Sumner
                          RB - ZZ
                          WR - Jason Schneider
                          WR - Brandon Andrews - I think he gets the nod.
                          WR - Trevor Wesley
                          TE - Cam Jones
                          FB - Chad Strehlow * I thought I heard somewhere that they are finally moving to using a true FB instead of 2 TEs
                          LT - Nick Carr
                          LG - Andrew Mueller * Could be JR Dylan Seiter
                          C - Travis Zimmerman * I know that in spring ball it was said that Zimmerman was a little behind and needed to add weight, but I think he ends up getting the nod.
                          RG - Mike Schoff
                          RT - Trevor Greger

Defense

NT - Cole Langer * I think Cole's going to be awesome with a year to gain weight and to know what to expect.
                          DT - Auston LaBlance * Last year was LaBlance's only real experience at DT. I think he comes back bigger. I remember hearing that Soulek looked good in the spring too, but we're thin at DT. Might see some of true freshman Tywan Ramsey, maybe a bigger DE moves inside to help out.
                          DE - Landon Shultz JUCO who'll battle Plote for the starting spot.
                          DE - Jack Sherlock * Well deserved starting spot
                          MLB - TJ Lally
                          LB - Charles Elmore * Expecting an All-Conference type of season from Elmore
                          LB - Jesse Bobbit * We'll see Dallas Brown at times. I know Stig doesn't believe in using nickel corners and formations, but using the smaller, quicker linebacker might be the solution to spread offenses.
                          CB - Je Ryan Butler *Developing into a star CB IMO.
                          CB - Jimmie Forsythe
                          S - Jake Gentile
                          S - Melvin Tavares

I'm interested in seeing what becomes of Andy Moritko. He was listed as one of the better recruits on signing day with an offer from Air Force. I haven't heard much of him since he joined the program though. He is listed as a 6'4" 245 lb LB but that is more of DE size.

The offense should be special. If some defensive players can take a step or two forward, the Jacks should be in competition to win the Valley. The biggest concern to me is the depth at DT and whether the safeties can improve.

Comment

LBs who could convert to DE are Kevin Klocek and Matt Romano.

Comment

I hope Cam Jones stays healthy. We've had bad luck with stud TEs and injuries.
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                              X