Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Argus Leader article

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    The NFL seems to have ways of taking care of loud mouth rookies. I am not saying Starr fits in this class but with his long hair he comes close.
    Do you even know Tyler Starr? I know for a 100% fact you don't, and making comments like those above make you look like a complete douche.

Please, continue to represent SDSU to us NW Iowans in such a classy manner.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
      Do you even know Tyler Starr? I know for a 100% fact you don't, and making comments like those above make you look like a complete douche.

Please, continue to represent SDSU to us NW Iowans in such a classy manner.
      Oh I am sorry. I did not mean to hurt your feelings. I thought you could express any opinion you wanted so you told me. Personally I could care less about NW Iowa. I don't like the Dutch very much.

BTW remember this post where TK SAID:
      I'm confident we are allowed to evaluate anyone's performance here, from the water boy to the president.

How does this make me a DOUCHE?

Comment

Oh I am sorry. I did not mean to hurt your feelings. I thought you could express any opinion you wanted so you told me. Personally I could care less about NW Iowa. I don't like the Dutch very much.

BTW remember this post where TK SAID:
        I'm confident we are allowed to evaluate anyone's performance here, from the water boy to the president.

How does this make me a DOUCHE?
        You are fully welcomed to evaluate Tyler's performance on the field. I'm sorry you fail to see the difference between that and your comment.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
          You are fully welcomed to evaluate Tyler's performance on the field. I'm sorry you fail to see the difference between that and your comment.
          No difference, and we will see if your wonderful STARR is playing on Sundays this fall.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 06-20-2014, 08:52 PM.

Comment

The comment about the recruiting class being a bust wasn't as a shot on individual player talent but as a whole how the program suffered for a few years with bad records and a qb who wasn't all in. Not saying it had to do with just that class but a rough recruiting year and it showed on the field in team success. The class I am of thinking of was the senior class around the time tob was qb still. Off the top of my head I don't recall which recuits didn't pan out.

To continue the thread drift I didn't think much of starr from when he played us but over all he is good. Same as how most ndsu cans see ZZ since he only can average a couple zenners against ndsu but put up 200 plus on plently of other teams. Some teams just have a certain players number if you will. Depending on the scheme or talent around that player also factor in why some performances suffer.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I think a big part of the problem is a lot of kids coming out of high school don't realize just how much of a year-round commitment is required to be successful at this level. They have excelled at every level up through now , and when the reality hits that they may not see the field much,or maybe not at all , they struggle and decide that all the work isn't worth it , even with the incentive of not having to pay for a college education.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                I think a big part of the problem is a lot of kids coming out of high school don't realize just how much of a year-round commitment is required to be successful at this level. They have excelled at every level up through now , and when the reality hits that they may not see the field much,or maybe not at all , they struggle and decide that all the work isn't worth it , even with the incentive of not having to pay for a college education.
                Yeah this is a part of the puzzle.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                  The 2013 class already has 3 players that were too good to keep off the field as true freshmen, so it's not like the class is a lost cause. While depth is important, that doesn't mean that this class can't provide quality to the team now and in the future.
                  This is exactly right. Langer and Trenhaile played huge roles last Fall and both are South Dakota natives. Bobbitt looks to be really good and had a nice year on special teams. When you have three true freshmen play this well, some defections can be absorbed without difficulty.

Comment

Seems to me that the Jacks are better off with the players who won't see the field leaving. This gives them more open scholarships. No big deal. Only two of them were on the depth chart per TV. Plus if they are unhappy, better they leave now than later.

Juco's are great for a lot of positions with the notable exception of offensive line.

SDSU expects a lot out of its players in the classroom. No slack is given to athletes. This might be another reason for the turnover. I quite frankly think this is admirable in todays current football climate.

Also Brooking is a unique place and not for everyone. I think the campus growth is exciting. Not to offend anyone, but I've always couldn't figure out the lack of great places to eat and shop in town. Yes, there are a few eateries, we know them. But it seems that there are a lot of chains. With a great campus and the great industry in town, you'd think there would be more. A couple more sports bars wouldn't hurt either. Brookings has its charms, but California it ain't. Beats Iowa though.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                      Seems to me that the Jacks are better off with the players who won't see the field leaving. This gives them more open scholarships. No big deal. Only two of them were on the depth chart per TV. Plus if they are unhappy, better they leave now than later. Agree

Juco's are great for a lot of positions with the notable exception of offensive line. Agree, but there have been a few exceptions. I cant think of anyone off hand.
                      SDSU expects a lot out of its players in the classroom. No slack is given to athletes. This might be another reason for the turnover. I quite frankly think this is admirable in todays current football climate. No reason to give them slack.

Also Brooking is a unique place and not for everyone. I think the campus growth is exciting. Not to offend anyone, but I've always couldn't figure out the lack of great places to eat and shop in town. Yes, there are a few eateries, we know them. But it seems that there are a lot of chains. With a great campus and the great industry in town, you'd think there would be more. A couple more sports bars wouldn't hurt either. Brookings has its charms, but California it ain't. Beats Iowa though.
                      I lived all my life in Brookings County except for most of my adult life where I live in LA area, Chicago Area and Dayton Ohio area. In fact I think the issue to allow the City of Brookings to operate an On sale liquor store first came up in 1954 or there abouts. All that was permitted prior to that was 3.2 beer. It was a very dry town and so was the surrounding area except for Aurora, who had an on sale liquor store and the students made trips daily to get their pints and quarts of various tastes of liquor. So now to compare this sad past to modern Brookings, it has changed a great deal not as much as I would like to see, but there has been change . I believe there are like 20 off sale licenses and a waiting list to acquire them. Granted a few more sports bars would help the legal age students, but for those underage its a matter of getting some one to buy. Seems like the biggest crime in quanity in Brookings is underage possession of liquor.
                      My point is grass is always greener some where else. Are students coming to drink or to get an education?

In the last 60 years Brookings has progressed, but I sound like a homer and I feel like one.

Comment

My point is grass is always greener some where else. Are students coming to drink or to get an education?

Well - if they were going to Colorado.... umm, wouldn't that be a better question?

Thank you for the history lesson of Brookings. I never realized it was a former dry area. Were they dry because of religious reasons? Prohibition started in Western MN. This helps explain their draconian policy about alcohol on game day.

20 liquor licenses for the city is not enough for a big time DI town. In my opinion respectfully. I can respect other's opinions. This also is a great explanation and much appreciated. I've heard the stories about the town trying to stay the same. But with a tremendous academic major University in your borders, it is going to change. Plus I'm sure Daktronics, Larson, 3M, etc. would like to see more dining/entertainment options. O well - it still is fun in Brookings in my opinion.

The reality is some students do come to party. I'm more of a libertarian in this regards, students have been drinking for hundreds of years, and I believe in the 18 year old drinking age but this is serious thread drift. Any football player has access to alcohol, but if they get caught drinking, Stig punishes them terribly. I believe that they have to watch the team run wind sprints? Frankly, most football players don't have time between football and studies to be regularly drinking.

Brookings does have a huge tradition of house parties until 11 PM and then everyone heads downtown. And yes, the cops #1 job appears to be busting drinkers.

I'm just saying that while Brookings has it benefits that I love, small town, outdoors, hunting, etc., it may be hard culturally for other players from bigger cities or other parts of the country to adjust. You have to admit, the wind seldom stops blowing in Brookings.

Comment

Well - if they were going to Colorado.... umm, wouldn't that be a better question?

Thank you for the history lesson of Brookings. I never realized it was a former dry area. Were they dry because of religious reasons? Prohibition started in Western MN. This helps explain their draconian policy about alcohol on game day.

20 liquor licenses for the city is not enough for a big time DI town. In my opinion respectfully. I can respect other's opinions. This also is a great explanation and much appreciated. I've heard the stories about the town trying to stay the same. But with a tremendous academic major University in your borders, it is going to change. Plus I'm sure Daktronics, Larson, 3M, etc. would like to see more dining/entertainment options. O well - it still is fun in Brookings in my opinion.

The reality is some students do come to party. I'm more of a libertarian in this regards, students have been drinking for hundreds of years, and I believe in the 18 year old drinking age but this is serious thread drift. Any football player has access to alcohol, but if they get caught drinking, Stig punishes them terribly. I believe that they have to watch the team run wind sprints? Frankly, most football players don't have time between football and studies to be regularly drinking.

Brookings does have a huge tradition of house parties until 11 PM and then everyone heads downtown. And yes, the cops #1 job appears to be busting drinkers.

I'm just saying that while Brookings has it benefits that I love, small town, outdoors, hunting, etc., it may be hard culturally for other players from bigger cities or other parts of the country to adjust. You have to admit, the wind seldom stops blowing in Brookings.
                          Brookings is not a big time DI town. It is a FCS DI town, and compared to many other FCS DI towns it is a pretty outstanding place (although I'm pretty biased, and yes I know there are attractive towns in DI). Perhaps that could be part of the reason SDSU has seen more success in DI football. In DII it was a comparison between places like St. Cloud, Mankato, Sioux Falls etc. DI Brookings is the hot brunette in the group at our level (Fargo is the hot blond).

IMO, the nightlife in Brookings is great, and whatever formulas they are using to distribute liquor licenses seems about right. Brookings could probably support more bars, but I have a hard time believing it could support many more nice bars.

Just my opinions, not trying to start a fight. I can see your perspective.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                            Brookings is not a big time DI town. It is a FCS DI town, and compared to many other FCS DI towns it is a pretty outstanding place (although I'm pretty biased, and yes I know there are attractive towns in DI). Perhaps that could be part of the reason SDSU has seen more success in DI football. In DII it was a comparison between places like St. Cloud, Mankato, Sioux Falls etc. DI Brookings is the hot brunette in the group at our level (Fargo is the hot blond).

IMO, the nightlife in Brookings is great, and whatever formulas they are using to distribute liquor licenses seems about right. Brookings could probably support more bars, but I have a hard time believing it could support many more nice bars.

Just my opinions, not trying to start a fight. I can see your perspective.
                            I think you got it right. Seems like there is a state policy or it might be city, that there be allowed one license for each 1000 population. I don't think its law, but some sort of guideline that the City of Brookings has used. I am too old to visit bars so don't have a clue about what goes on downtown. I think some parents of football players are happy their sons picked SDSU and Brookings. So we are doing okay.

Comment

Religious reasons, yes starting with Carrie Nation and the WTCU Women' s temperance movement and then the Wayne Wheeler and Anti-Saloon League. They influence enough congressional members to pass the Volstead Act about 1920. You no doubt are aware of prohibition that was law until 1933 or shortly after FDR was a elected. These laws were on the books until the 1950's. Once a law is passed, its not easy to get it off the books in all its forms especially were there is local control such as at the county and municipal levels and that partially explains Brookings being dry except for 3.2 beer until 1955.

I don't think the current students are any worse than the ones who jumped in their car and drove to Aurora to pickup a half pint over 60 years ago. As far as the question of going to school for an education or to drink, that was kind of a tongue in cheek question. Its a little of both for the vast majority of us past and present.
                              Last edited by Nidaros; 06-24-2014, 04:18 AM.

Comment

I think you got it right. Seems like there is a state policy or it might be city, that there be allowed one license for each 1000 population. I don't think its law, but some sort of guideline that the City of Brookings has used.
                                Yep, close, it is a state law that has had several attempts over the years to change it. It is SDCL 35-4-11. Three for the first 1,000 in population and one for every 1,500 population after that. Brookings got 3 new licenses after the last Census. The cut off was 22,000 and the population was 22,056. Those last few people filling out the Census got you the third license.

There is a new type of license, the restaurant license that gives more licenses for restaurants that serve at least 60% of their revenue from food. That is the type of license Whiskey Creek has.

State law 35-4-11
                                http://legis.sd.gov/Statutes/Codifie...tatute=35-4-11

Comment

Working...
                                X