Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Argus Leader article

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    Brookings is not a big time DI town. It is a FCS DI town, and compared to many other FCS DI towns it is a pretty outstanding place (although I'm pretty biased, and yes I know there are attractive towns in DI). Perhaps that could be part of the reason SDSU has seen more success in DI football. In DII it was a comparison between places like St. Cloud, Mankato, Sioux Falls etc. DI Brookings is the hot brunette in the group at our level (Fargo is the hot blond).

IMO, the nightlife in Brookings is great, and whatever formulas they are using to distribute liquor licenses seems about right. Brookings could probably support more bars, but I have a hard time believing it could support many more nice bars.

Just my opinions, not trying to start a fight. I can see your perspective.
    I like brunettes. Where do the redheads fit in? great analogy.

Brookings could easily support more nice bars and places to eat. The bad ones would just go away. I think Cubby's could use some competition. St Cloud is three times Brookings size with a huge amount of places to eat and drink. Mankato double the size but ditto. However; those two colleges are notorious for partying in lieu of academics. Look at the issue with the Gopher QB from Mankato who destroyed his life with 5 seconds bad judgment clouded by drinking. St Cloud is really losing student population. Contrast that with SDSU which has outstanding growth. I think the FCS helps. A lot.

I also find the history lessons about Brookings fascinating. It helps put all into context.

Anyhow - back to topic point. How many players does NDSU lose per year? Northern Iowa? Youngstown? and so on.

How many players leave because they don't cut it at the program and they are encouraged to leave?

Stig recruits players who fit the SDSU lifestyle and has recruits vetted by the team. Another thing Stig does is recruits students as evidenced by the first place in academics. Just like he always favors taller players, especially on offense. He obviously is doing a good job because he is winning both ways.

Compare Brookings to the other cities in the conference. Fargo - blonde. Brookings - brunette. Macomb - farmers daughter. (Actually my favorite place to visit, talk about a party town with cheap beer.) Not much socially for the players there. Youngstown - red head. I don't think the players really care about Ohio, but Ohio HS football is loaded. Carbondale - southern belle - this place is located south of Washington DC below the Mason Dixon line. Starting to grow, I think it draws players. Missouri State - urban chick. Fairly large population, but SDSU gets players from the area. Bloomington - punk rocker. Large city. Northern Iowa - pig farmers daughter? green hair? I can't wait to get out of that town after games. Lot of people but boring. South Dakota - red head step child. Indiana State - girl next door, but talk about boring. - Looking at this list - I think SF Rabbit Fan get it exactly right.

Brookings is a great place for players who want to play football and get an excellent degree.

Comment

Originally posted by el_presidente View Post
      Yep, close, it is a state law that has had several attempts over the years to change it. It is SDCL 35-4-11. Three for the first 1,000 in population and one for every 1,500 population after that. Brookings got 3 new licenses after the last Census. The cut off was 22,000 and the population was 22,056. Those last few people filling out the Census got you the third license.

There is a new type of license, the restaurant license that gives more licenses for restaurants that serve at least 60% of their revenue from food. That is the type of license Whiskey Creek has.

State law 35-4-11
      http://legis.sd.gov/Statutes/Codifie...tatute=35-4-11
      Thanks for setting the record straight. I remember this issue being discussed when Whiskey Creek and a few others applied for licenses. I did not know it was law, which does put a limit on growth of entertainment for the young uns. I guess we will never be able to match St Cloud, unless the community has a population spurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        Thanks for setting the record straight. I remember this issue being discussed when Whiskey Creek and a few others applied for licenses. I did not know it was law, which does put a limit on growth of entertainment for the young uns. I guess we will never be able to match St Cloud, unless the community has a population spurt.
        Why isn't the student population counted in the census for liquor licenses?

Might explain the issue. It seems to me that the lucky owners of the 20 liquor licenses have a monopoly going. Perhaps resisting the growth? Hmm??

Sorry for the thread drift - but I think more culture opportunities would keep more players in Brookings.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
          Why isn't the student population counted in the census for liquor licenses?

Might explain the issue. It seems to me that the lucky owners of the 20 liquor licenses have a monopoly going. Perhaps resisting the growth? Hmm??

Sorry for the thread drift - but I think more culture opportunities would keep more players in Brookings.

That is actually a longer complicated question but I will give it a shot with only about 5 minutes to write a reply.

Students are counted in the census if they live in Brookings and if you can get them to fill out the census. Every student living on campus was counted by the Census/SDSU working together. The rest of town is harder to gauge if students live off campus. Second, several students don't live in Brookings. Some commute, some are on internships, nursing/pharmacy students have preceptors or clinicals or something like that, online students and University Center students in Sioux Falls. A rough figure is that about 10,000 students live in Brookings. Now that would mean about 12,000 non students live in the city limits, however a large portion of Brookings folks don't live in the city limits. The Medary township has like 1,700 people not in the city limits if I remember correct but those people don't count towards a liquor license. I used to say there is about 15,000 people within a few miles of town and 10,000 students. If you count Volga, Aurora etc it goes up to closer to 20,000 people in a 5 minute drive plus 10,000 students. All estimates that have been calculated a few years ago when I used to live in Brookings.

Finally, even though I just calculated it out, I personally don't differentiate between students and nonstudents. Many students live in town 12 months a year and most are employed. Their purchasing power using a combination of their employement wages + student loans is usually equivalent to a SD Average wage adult living in a community working full time.

On the second topic, there has been some nice growth in eating/drinking options the last few years with 4 new liquor licenses since 2010 (3 full and 1 restaurant). Plus Wooden Legs microbrewing which doesn't have a liquor license.

I agree that progress in amenities will help with all student recruitment and I know the city is continuing to push for new retail options/amenities.

Quick reply, sorry for any gramatical errors or run on sentences, I will try and update later today.

Comment

Here is a link to more info than you may want, but it lists the populations of Brookings (2010 census) by 5 year increments in age. The jump up in the number in the 15-19 and 20-24 range would lead to an estimate of 7-8000 students being counted in the census numbers, Some in the next older groups may also be students but are likely to also be full time employees, etc.

http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/...EC_10_DP_DPDP1

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              I don't think the current students are any worse than the ones who jumped in their car and drove to Aurora to pickup a half pint over 60 years ago. As far as the question of going to school for an education or to drink, that was kind of a tongue in cheek question. Its a little of both for the vast majority of us past and present.
              I don't think the current students are worse either. I think a lot of it has to do with the changing of the times. Back then, cops might let you off if you weren't doing anything really serious. Now driving to Aurora is a serious things(if you had a couple). Things weren't reported on line, in the paper or things like that. They didn't have laws for things like seat belts. I'm sure they didn't have check points, people calling in and turning in other people, etc...

I think a majority of players that leave the program either want more playing time, want to be closer to home or didn't realize that joining the team was a year round commitment. I'm not saying that it isn't year round at the DII level but the higher you go the more of a commitment it is.

Comment

Working...
              X