SDSU Signs Three-Game Deal with Drake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU Signs Three-Game Deal with Drake

SDSU will open the new stadium (Sept. 10, 2016) with Drake.

Other matchups are slated for Sept. 16, 2017, in Brookings, with a Sept. 14, 2019, game set to be played in Des Moines.

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...B_OEM_ID=15000

Re: SDSU Signs Three-Game Deal with Drake

I'm excited for this matchup. While I think it is a reach to call this great competition like Stig does, this is the type of home opener that fits our needs.

“Again, I am appreciative of our administration in supporting the pursuit of great competition for our players.” SDSU head coach John Stiegelmeier said. “Having quality opponents remains a priority in both our programs and the Jacks look forward to competing against Drake. This series also allows each of our fan contingencies an easy opportunity to travel and support their program.” - GoJacks Story

Having three games in a four year period allows for some relationships to be built. It has to help with recruiting in Iowa by being in their sports coverage. We should get three wins out of it too. The sad part is that we will still have a losing record against the Bulldogs. Currently we are 2-8 with the last game being a victory in 1983.

Comment

This is a great series, it should be 3 easy wins. Plus on a positive side Des Moines can make a great weekend road trip, it's only 5 hours from Brookings and 4 from Sioux Falls. Its also only 2 hours for our Omaha Jacks, 3 hours for our KC fans, and 3.5 for our Twin City fans. Downtown DM has lots of hotel space and is a pretty cool place to stay with plenty to do, plus it's just across I-235 from Drake's campus.

Comment

I like this move, and the following should not be read as a complaint - more of curiosity/discussion.

Setting up a 2019 date seems like a long ways into the future to schedule a game against a non-scholly FCS school. There are going to be a lot of changes to the landscape in the next 5 years. I wonder if there are any circumstantial clauses to contracts like these that would let SDSU or Drake get out of it without penalty? For instance, if Drake were to drop football or SDSU were to go FBS. Both extremely unlikely, but 5 years is a long time in the current realignment environment.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Also, if non-scholarship schools like Drake and Butler are willing to do 2 for 1 scheduling, line 'em up. I'm perfectly willing to travel to a non-scholarship school to ensure we don't schedule any more DIII.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
            Also, if non-scholarship schools like Drake and Butler are willing to do 2 for 1 scheduling, line 'em up. I'm perfectly willing to travel to a non-scholarship school to ensure we don't schedule any more DIII.
            Totally agree. They are a counter. They are regionally good names which I assume having a good relationship with butlers and drakes would only help us with other sports. Mainly basketball. That's also why I don't mind the idea of not playing fcs schools. We don't go into the game with a game plan to win. We go with the mindset to get a paycheck and a big game experience and something fun for fans and the chance to maybe catch lightning in a bottle. Unlike ndsu who goes with the game plan to win. Not having a 99% sure loss fcs to take up a game every year would be great to have more flexability. Since getting home games is hard making 2-1 deals like this is great and still going for the caly poly/davis/suu home and homes to me is a better option then loss at an fcs and less flexability to get other decent games. The best part again is they are a counter and regional and a great way to try to offset the fcs loss and gives the backups hopefully a decent amount of playing time.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              Totally agree. They are a counter. They are regionally good names which I assume having a good relationship with butlers and drakes would only help us with other sports. Mainly basketball. That's also why I don't mind the idea of not playing fcs schools. We don't go into the game with a game plan to win. We go with the mindset to get a paycheck and a big game experience and something fun for fans and the chance to maybe catch lightning in a bottle. Unlike ndsu who goes with the game plan to win. Not having a 99% sure loss fcs to take up a game every year would be great to have more flexability. Since getting home games is hard making 2-1 deals like this is great and still going for the caly poly/davis/suu home and homes to me is a better option then loss at an fcs and less flexability to get other decent games. The best part again is they are a counter and regional and a great way to try to offset the fcs loss and gives the backups hopefully a decent amount of playing time.
              IMO, the Drake match up is great. That being said, I would prefer that we limit the schedule to 1 FCS non-scholy game per year. Otherwise, we could easily end up like Youngstown last year: 8-4 and out of the playoffs because of a cream-puff OOC schedule.

Same could be said for FBS games; max of 1 per season. In 2012, Northern Iowa played both Wisconsin and Iowa and was beat up badly enough that they started the season 1-5.

After reading my comments above, collegiate football scheduling sounds so easy. I'm sure State can make room on their admin staff for me to come in and take care of business. /sarc

Comment

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post
                IMO, the Drake match up is great. That being said, I would prefer that we limit the schedule to 1 FCS non-scholy game per year. Otherwise, we could easily end up like Youngstown last year: 8-4 and out of the playoffs because of a cream-puff OOC schedule.

Same could be said for FBS games; max of 1 per season. In 2012, Northern Iowa played both Wisconsin and Iowa and was beat up badly enough that they started the season 1-5.

After reading my comments above, collegiate football scheduling sounds so easy. I'm sure State can make room on their admin staff for me to come in and take care of business. /sarc
                In the butler or drake idea I mean in context to one or the other. Not both in the same year. But having an easy game counter is fine with me. Esp if we keep the fbs games. I would rather us play a caly poly or davis or suu instead of an fbs. Which would be a home and home series instead of all on the road like it currently is at against fbs school. Hopefully this sort of 3 game deal helps keep the non counters and D3 schools off the schedule.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post

First of all, UNI does it right in my opinion . They don't back away from a fight, much like NDSU. In 2012, UNI dis play both Iowa and Wisconsin, and gave them both a game. Then they had to play NDSU and Southern Illinois and Youngstown. That's a tough way to start your non conference.

My honest opinion is both USD and SDSU have a scheduling mindset that is wrong. Even your fan response on here is just worried about scheduling "easy counters" so you can make the playoffs. Play the tougher schedule, get ready for the MVC, and if you win the conference, you'll be in the playoffs. We pull the same crap as you. Schedule a D-3 school in the name of "it's hard to get teams to come here". BS. Pay the money and they'll come.

A soft pre season schedule doesn't do your team any good. As a player, I guaranty you they want to play quality opponents every week. They don't want to play CUPCAKE U. As fans, we should try to work harder to communicate with administration about what we want as a schedule. After all, money speaks. Neither one of us should settle. By doing that, we are admitting we are "lessor" in the eyes of our competitors.

Comment

There are many on here who believed that same thing until we struggled to make the playoffs due to too many tough games. The template isn't novel to us, it is being done on a national level, 1 game up, 1 counter game (creampuff preferred), 1 decent ooc foe and then the conference schedule. USD (and SDSU though not as frequently) has scheduled too many NAIA, D2 & 3 games. The "creampuff" game is only beneficial if its a non-scholarship team or a team from another conference (like NDSU has done the past few years). UNI did their double 1A games only because they had to due to budget issues.
                    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Wrong mindset???? We often have to take what WE can get. Just ask Rob Peterson who does the grunt work for SDSU. I can't imagine it isn't any easier at USD. If it were, you would not be playing William Penn. Rob told a table of Difference Makers, that there are FCS teams on the East Coast that under no circumstances do they want to come to South Dakota to play a football game. So there you go with your wrong mindset. It would be nice, USD or SDSU could schedule two guarantee games every year, but we are not Ohio State by any means.
                      Last edited by Nidaros; 06-07-2014, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                        First of all, UNI does it right in my opinion . They don't back away from a fight, much like NDSU. In 2012, UNI dis play both Iowa and Wisconsin, and gave them both a game. Then they had to play NDSU and Southern Illinois and Youngstown. That's a tough way to start your non conference.

My honest opinion is both USD and SDSU have a scheduling mindset that is wrong. Even your fan response on here is just worried about scheduling "easy counters" so you can make the playoffs. Play the tougher schedule, get ready for the MVC, and if you win the conference, you'll be in the playoffs. We pull the same crap as you. Schedule a D-3 school in the name of "it's hard to get teams to come here". BS. Pay the money and they'll come.

A soft pre season schedule doesn't do your team any good. As a player, I guaranty you they want to play quality opponents every week. They don't want to play CUPCAKE U. As fans, we should try to work harder to communicate with administration about what we want as a schedule. After all, money speaks. Neither one of us should settle. By doing that, we are admitting we are "lessor" in the eyes of our competitors.
                        Here is where I think your wrong. It mostly stems from how good the mvfc is. Its no easy confrence so its a grind. Taking only top teams makes it to hard to get enough wins with out burning the team out with only top teams. When we formed the confrence with cal poly davis etc we had to play good teams to get decent wins. As good as the confrence teams where it didn't have the depth the mvfc and the prestige of it. If you play to easy of ooc games it hurts you just as playing to hard of a schedule can. Us playing drake or butler is like when we to go nebraska. They look at us as we do at drake. Good game probably easy win help offset other hard games. If the mvfc was a weak confrence I would say play as many top 25 teams as we can. But its hard to always get home games with other top teams. They don't want to travel to say ndsu and take a loss when they can host an easy game. So it all comes down to balance as others have pointed out.

Comment

Rob Peterson does not deserve any breaks or excuses. This is same person that scheduled a 2 for 1 with Montana with first 2 games at Montana with basically no buyout penalty. I am not impressed with scheduling a 2 for 1 with a non scholarship Drake. I will be impressed if we pull a Montana and get 2 home games and then pay drake a nominal buyout and do not have to go Des Moines.

Comment

Originally posted by carny View Post
                            Rob Peterson does not deserve any breaks or excuses. This is same person that scheduled a 2 for 1 with Montana with first 2 games at Montana with basically no buyout penalty. I am not impressed with scheduling a 2 for 1 with a non scholarship Drake. I will be impressed if we pull a Montana and get 2 home games and then pay drake a nominal buyout and do not have to go Des Moines.
                            So what you are saying is that you could do a better job than Rob. Good luck my friend. Even the Bison don't have that much better scheduling. Robert Morris, Incarnate Word, to name a few, but three FCS championships don't make the scheduling easier, in fact it makes it's harder. Not everyone loves the FABULOUS FARGO DOME EITHER. So if you give Rob a break, I will give the Bison guy a break too.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              So what you are saying is that you could do a better job than Rob. Good luck my friend. Even the Bison don't have that much better scheduling. Robert Morris, Incarnate Word, to name a few, but three FCS championships don't make the scheduling easier, in fact it makes it's harder. Not everyone loves the FABULOUS FARGO DOME EITHER. So if you give Rob a break, I will give the Bison guy a break too.
                              I disagree. NDSU has a much easier time scheduling home games compared to us simply because they can pay more. Attendance = revenue and that amounts to a pretty significant war chest for them.

I don't know Rob and he might be a great guy, but don't let your personal feelings get in the way of evaluating his job performance. He has monumentally screwed the pooch in the past. That being said, I applaud him and the staff for scheduling the Drake series. A 2 for 1 with a local non scholly that is a counter. Now was this all Rob's work? Probably not based on what Sell alluded to after the Oshkosh scheduling. Really doesn't matter to me who did it, I like it.

Comment

Working...
                              X