The Lantern closing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lantern closing?

I thought I heard that the Latern was closing after graduation weekend? No other details so share, what does anyone else know of this? Reasons or sold it or just closing up shop or are they still going to be open?
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Re: The Lantern closing?

Originally posted by goon View Post
    I thought I heard that the Latern was closing after graduation weekend? No other details so share, what does anyone else know of this? Reasons or sold it or just closing up shop or are they still going to be open?
    I feel like I would have heard one of my friends complaining about this. I will do some digging.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I don't frequent the downtown any more, but this place opened up in 1960 as McGurks. The former Artz Locker next door has been torn down and is being replaced by apartments. It could be part of a development plan, that is the closing of the lantern and a subsequent demolishing of that building too and replacement with apartments. Just speculation on my part.

Comment

Sad to say, but the Lantern has been in decline for sometime now. Definitely not what it once was.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
          Sad to say, but the Lantern has been in decline for sometime now. Definitely not what it once was.
          I know the bars go through cycles as to the popular ones etc but I always liked playing pool and darts drinking the stop light teas at lantern to start the night then finish my evening at skinners. Just wondering what's the cause of the decline?
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
            I know the bars go through cycles as to the popular ones etc but I always liked playing pool and darts drinking the stop light teas at lantern to start the night then finish my evening at skinners. Just wondering what's the cause of the decline?

Comment

They might be closed for a bit as the owner/manager was diagnosed with cancer. He just had surgery last week and I'm unsure as to the future of the bar.
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                They might be closed for a bit as the owner/manager was diagnosed with cancer. He just had surgery last week and I'm unsure as to the future of the bar.
                I don't know his name just he was a shorter guy but always seemed nice. Hope things go well for him and that would explain it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  I don't frequent the downtown any more, but this place opened up in 1960 as McGurks. The former Artz Locker next door has been torn down and is being replaced by apartments. It could be part of a development plan, that is the closing of the lantern and a subsequent demolishing of that building too and replacement with apartments. Just speculation on my part.
                  McGurks is a great name for a bar.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                    This is the story I have heard. He is not out of the woods yet as chemo treatments will continue.
                    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                      This is the story I have heard. He is not out of the woods yet as chemo treatments will continue.
                      His name is Troy. He is being released from the hospital today. He still has a long road to go, but we all hope for the best. He really is a good guy no matter what people think of the bar itself.
                      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Sorry to hear this - thoughts and prayers are with Troy and Kelli. Life is fragile, in case you haven't been paying attention.

I just heard from Kelli - the Lantern is still open, their daughter Megan is running it while Troy fights his cancer. Thought you should know.
                        Last edited by MaddogJack; 05-19-2014, 04:48 PM.

Comment

The Lantern could use some major renovation or a new building
                          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                            The Lantern could use some major renovation or a new building
                            It could, not as bad as what the Jackalope lounge needed though. Which had the best price for beer and best live music in town before they closed.

Comment

Working...
                            X