Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016 Recruiting List

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
    SDSU needs a business school for this very reason. We lose alot of recruits because of this reason although you typically don't hear about it like this. It happens more than you want to know. Ask any of the coaches of our mens sports.
    So true.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      Not a smack thread.

One more and you're gone.

Warning also applies to Kemo.

Moody filbert is going into the irritable phase, people. Please don't push it.
      Just had to jab him back a little bit

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
        He is free to change his mind. Issue is less than 48 hours out to decommit leaves SDSU little time to find another quality linebacker.
        In all seriousness, the timeline of the whole deal is the only really issue, as JACKGUYII illustrates above.

I'm pretty understanding when it comes to late-teen decision making, it's just unfortunate that he was committed for so long and then backed out so close to signing day for a circumstance that didn't recently change (USD has had a business school for a long time). Really puts our coaching staff in a precarious position in regards to filling the scholarship. Even then, in the grand scheme of life, it's really not a big deal.

Originally posted by FeaRed View Post
        Just had to jab him back a little bit
        It was a clever response, however, to keep with the sanctity of keeping smack out of this thread, I will spare you my 43-point essay on how A.J. handled his situation with the utmost class and dignity for both parties involved in a way only a person of his caliber could achieve
        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

SDSU needs a business school for this very reason. We lose alot of recruits because of this reason although you typically don't hear about it like this. It happens more than you want to know. Ask any of the coaches of our mens sports.
          So, you want to add an entire business school to your University to help out athletics?

Comment

While this de-commit is less than ideal, at least the young man didn't pull a fast one and just not sign his LOI and not send it in. Yes, USD has always had a business school, but this may just show how hard this decision was for him that it took until the last minute to make this decision. Obviously as Jacks fans we're going to think that there was funny business happening down south. But these are 17-18 year old boys. Easily influenced, yet making a decision that will impact the rest of their lives. Would rather know now than 2 years from now that his heart is not in Brookings.

Our coaches are putting together a great class on paper. Hopefully the on the field results are just as good in the years to come.

Go Jacks!
            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

In today's world a business school would be a great idea for SDSU not just athletics it would drive enrollment it can be focused in agribusiness and still fit with the foundation of the University.

Comment

Originally posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
                So, you want to add an entire business school to your University to help out athletics?
                Anymore softball questions? Yes we adding a business college.( Some day)

Comment

Both UND and NDSU have some schools, we could do the same here. I don't see it happening in the near future, so we focus on Engineers and Pharmacists

Comment

Originally posted by sdsu2000 View Post
                    In today's world a business school would be a great idea for SDSU not just athletics it would drive enrollment it can be focused in agribusiness and still fit with the foundation of the University.

We already have an Ag Business degree. We also have an Economics degree with a business specialization. We have an Economics department that can do everything but call themselves a "business and economics" department because USD will throw a fit to the regents. The department is also seeking accreditation as a business and economics program. It's pretty common knowledge that SDSU's Econ graduates are more prepared for the MBA program at USD than USD's own business graduates (much like SDSU's pre-med students having a higher acceptance rate and making up a larger chunk of the cohort than USD's own pre-med students).

Sorry for the thread drift.
                    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                      We already have an Ag Business degree. We also have an Economics degree with a business specialization. We have an Economics department that can do everything but call themselves a "business and economics" department because USD will throw a fit to the regents. The department is also seeking accreditation as a business and economics program. It's pretty common knowledge that SDSU's Econ graduates are more prepared for the MBA program at USD than USD's own business graduates (much like SDSU's pre-med students having a higher acceptance rate and making up a larger chunk of the cohort than USD's own pre-med students).

Sorry for the thread drift.
                      Thank you. The AACSB accreditation for the Economics and Business program at SDSU is coming sooner than most thing - within the next 4-5 years. And as mentioned above, that accreditation, which is the same as USD's programs, won't mean that SDSU will have a "School of Business" because of political reasons within the state of SD. Same reason why SDSU didn't offer an Elementary Education program on campus for many years.

But everything that Westside said above is true. The School of Business at USD is of good quality. I would just love to hear from a USD person what advantages (besides current accreditation) a student in the Beacom School walks away with that grads of SDSU's Econ/Business degree don't have? Look at the coursework offered, internships provided, student engagement opportunities while enrolled, labs/classrooms offered, etc. But I digress...SDSU's degree does not come from a School of Business.
                      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

We already have a business school and for political reasons we have to call it Economics. Our detractors will cry foul and argue against "duplication of programs" if we would call it what it is - the SDSU School of Business. In the meantime, schools will recruit against by proclaiming we have no business school. Try telling that to the thousands of SDSU Econ majors who are now quite successful in business. So all this is really stupid as it comes down to semantics.

Comment

Based on everything I'm hearing Alex Cloyd will be signing with UND. I know it's been noted that he was up in the air but I think it's pretty solid that he is going to Grand Forks.

Good luck with the rest of your class. Looks pretty strong - even with some of the decommits the past couple weeks.
                          Fighting Sioux

Comment

Similarly, other schools lose recruits because they do not have degrees that SDSU has including, for example, engineering and Pharmacy. It seems each year some of our top football players are also top students studying engineering.

Our degrees attract a pretty good transfer from time to time: Keaton Moffitt transferred to SDSU from USF because he wanted a Pharmacy degree (think about how many times we have said during a Jacks BB game 'glad he's a Jackrabbit').

On the subject of formalizing a business school at SDSU -- interesting topic and perhaps someone should start a separate thread under "SDSU News and Comment". The Board of Regents in recent years has given indications it is not as rigid in having certain degrees limited to certain schools. I attended a meeting a few years ago in which regents indicated a willingness to allow schools to add degrees when the components are already there. Example: In the not too distant past, USD's nursing degree was not a four-year bachelor's degree but now it is. SDSU has the components in place to give business degrees with the more traditional names if the Regents approved such degrees. Would SDSU's Econ Dept support such a change? Rather than receive a diploma that says you have a degree in economics with emphasis on accounting, you would just receive an accounting degree. I think all it would take is renaming a few classes and placing different names on diplomas.

Separate thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              Anymore softball questions? Yes we adding a business college.( Some day)
                              The other month at work doing some trivia and I said I would give them a softball question to start with. Apparently no one at work knows what that refers too. All the females were like thats not fair, its not easy, softball is a hard sport to play.........I had to explain its how easy a question is. easy is softball, hard questions are playing hardball.....Every single one said they had never heard of that before. So obviously no one watches Chris Mathews or have seen his commercials or SNLs spoof on his show.

Anyway back to the question. Have a business component would have been nice for my degree. The rest of my degree is great. Really enjoyed a lot of it. But after being in the working world for a number of years, it seems some business classes would not have been a bad idea.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I can't believe some of the whining going on about losing a prized recruit last minute before NSD. Welcome to the world of upper level college recruiting. Put your big boy pants on.

Comment

Working...
                                X