Blake Treinen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blake Treinen

According to this ESPN preview, it looks like Treinen will get his first major league start against the Dodgers. No pressure or anything, he's just facing the reigning Cy Young award winner Clayton Kershaw.

Also an article here from the Washington Post talking about the callup.

Good luck Blake!

Re: Blake Treinen

Its also Kershaws first start since coming off the DL.

Comment

Through 3 Treinen has gave up 3 hits and 0 runs. His pitch count is at 39 (27 strikes) so that is 13 pitches an inning which is great. 1 strikeout ; 0 walks

Comment

Treinen just got his 1st major league hit off of the 2x Cy Young winner.

Comment

Final line vs. Dodgers in Blake Treinen's first MLB start: five innings, six hits, three runs (1 ER), two strikeouts, 72 pitches, 49 strikes. He also went 1-2 at the plate. He left the game in the 5th with bases loaded because of a couple errors (1 by Treinen).

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
            Final line vs. Dodgers in Blake Treinen's first MLB start: five innings, six hits, three runs (1 ER), two strikeouts, 72 pitches, 49 strikes. He also went 1-2 at the plate. He left the game in the 5th with bases loaded because of a couple errors (1 by Treinen).
            According to espn gamecast none of the runs were earned. Also the nats only have one error through 6.

Nats just made in error in the 7th so now they have two.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              According to espn gamecast none of the runs were earned. Also the nats only have one error through 6.

Nats just made in error in the 7th so now they have two.
              They must have changed his line and took away an error cause when i was watching they had 2 errors and they said he had 1 earned run. The errors were by Treinen and Adam LaRoche.

Comment

He was optioned back to AAA after the game.
                "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Nationals studio broadcaster Ray Knight on Treinen just now: "That is a dynamic arm. ... That is a live arm. You don't see an arm like that come along very often."

I was at the game and listened to the Nats' radio post-game guys on the way home and they were all raving about Treinen. Going to be interesting to see what the Nats do with him and with Ross Detweiler and Ryan Matheus, a dunderhead reliever they sent down to bring Blake up today.

Points and observations.
                  - He seemed quite loose before the game. I got on a perch overlooking the bullpen and when he was long tossing in right field and when he came into the bullpen I caught his eye, pointed to my Jackrabbit cap, and said, "Blake, a lot of Rabbits are awfully proud tonight. Go get 'em." He nodded and smiled.
                  - He was calm and collected early in his warmups in the pen but seemed to show his nerves a little in the pen after the National Anthem when he threw about 15 final pitches. Three or four sailed way over the catcher's head.
                  - Once in the game, though, he showed absolutely no nerves in his pitching. He was a strike machine from the beginning. At the end of the fourth he had thrown 51 pitches, 34 for strikes, and the Dodgers were mostly pounding the ball weakly into the ground. At times he looked dominant.
                  - Where he did look nervous, and it came back to unravel him in the sixth, was in his fielding. He almost threw away an easy toss on a comebacker a couple innings before the unraveling in the 6th. Had he cleanly fielded and thrown the comebacker to him opening in the 6th he might have left a 0-0 game to the bullpen.
                  - He throws exceedingly hard with an almost effortless motion. He has the perfect pitcher's build. His upside is pretty substantial, IMHO.
                  - His teammates didn't help him. The Nats got nine hits off Kershaw but a pickoff and strikeouts in key sitiuations killed potential rallies; I thought I was watching the Twins offense for a while there.
                  - They took back an error from LaRouche after first giving him one, but IMHO it should have been an error. He bobbled a ball hit to him, and was going to go to second for a force and when he turned back to first, Gordon, one of the fastest men in baseball, beat Treinen to the bag. Had he fielded it cleanly the Dodgers would have had a runner on first one out, rather than first and second, none out. Then the next batter hit a bleeder after having his bat sawed off and the bases were loaded. There was not a single hard-hit ball in the inning.
                  - Treinen threw 19 consecutive fastballs to start the game and got four outs. His fastball was moving that much.
                  - In the sixth, when the Dodgers broke through, they did not hit a ball that hit the infield skin, much less got out of the infield, and they had the bases loaded. Then two RBI singles were just soft pops, including one in which Uribe's bat got sawed in half. Blake just got very, very unlucky, partly of his own doing. Happens in baseball.
                  - Clayton Kershaw has Sandy Koufax's curveball. He made the Nats look silly at times.

All in all, I think Blake opened more eyes tonight and is going to force the Nats' hand sooner rather than later. I stand by my prediction that he will be starting meaningful games in the heat of a pennant race in August.

Comment

He got a hit, who was the last sdsu alum to do that in mlb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                      He was optioned back to AAA after the game.
                      Word on the tweet is that the Nats were duly impressed and that he should be expected back at some point. Seems they would like him to "build up his arm" and return as a full time 4th or 5th guy in the rotation. When that will be, only time will tell.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                        He got a hit, who was the last sdsu alum to do that in mlb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        There hasn't been very many SDSU Alums playing MLB. Its quite an honor, and it confirms the wisdom of Dr. Miller move to D1. Would we have attracted people like Blake, Caleb and Nate had we stayed D2? I think this is just the beginning of more good athletes who will be playing big time and will also be SDSU Alums.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          Word on the tweet is that the Nats were duly impressed and that he should be expected back at some point. Seems they would like him to "build up his arm" and return as a full time 4th or 5th guy in the rotation. When that will be, only time will tell.
                          A little more than on the tweet. Post-game he was praised by his manager, his pitching coach, and the studio color guy, Ray Knight, who said that "you don't see an arm like that come along very often." His catcher, Lobaton: "Sometimes you see a guy throwing 97 with a little sink, but the sink that he got on the ball is big."

Washington Post: "Treinen’s performance was the most impressive part of the Nationals’ night. The 6-foot-5, 215-pound right-hander, part of the Michael Morse trade before the 2013 season, impressed the Nationals in spring training and earned a call-up in April to pitch out of the bullpen. He continued to dazzle, allowing just
                          one run over 6
                          2/3 innings before being returned to Syracuse, where the club opted to stretch him out as a starter."

I saw Scott Erickson blow by the Orioles in his prime. This looked like Scott Erickson with a little more giddyup in the sinker, but without the dependable change of pace that Erickson learned to throw. Treinen threw a minumum number of sliders, but one was pretty nasty and ended up as a strikeout. If he gets a stronger secondary pitch or someone takes the time to teach him a decent changeup, look out.

Comment

First start back at Syracuse afer the callup for Blake Trenien today: He ges the win, going six, fiving up four his and no walks and striking out four, and his E.R.A. is 1.56.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                              First start back at Syracuse afer the callup for Blake Trenien today: He ges the win, going six, fiving up four his and no walks and striking out four, and his E.R.A. is 1.56.
                              Haha, I'm going with either typing drunk or typing on a phone. In all seriousness, just keep winning baby!

Comment

Working...
                              X