Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jared Bazler

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
    Thanks to the great organization called the SDHSAA (insert very heavy sarcasm) every Class AA team gets to play in the state HS golf tourney. Douglas is always at the bottom of the leader board. Arguably more absurd than 7 classes of football is that we have 3 classes of golf. Let's not get sidetracked here though - that topic has been beaten to death already.
    Why is it a problem that everyone gets to play? I don't think class AA should have to qualify. Golf is a great sport and I think it's great that they let everyone have the opportunity to play in a state tournament. It's a great experience that every athlete should get to have. Also, did you guys hear that they are pushing the tournament back 2 weeks starting in 2015?
    Great moments are born from great opportunities.
    ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Originally posted by Madi V:)Mitchell View Post
      Why is it a problem that everyone gets to play? I don't think class AA should have to qualify. Golf is a great sport and I think it's great that they let everyone have the opportunity to play in a state tournament. It's a great experience that every athlete should get to have. Also, did you guys hear that they are pushing the tournament back 2 weeks starting in 2015?
      You realize it costs schools money to send kids to State Tournaments right?

Comment

[QUOTE=Jacks-02;254302]You realize it costs schools money to send kids to State Tournaments right?[/QUOTE

I wasn't born yesterday, thanks. Anymore it's not as big of a deal to me because I'll be gone after next year anyway. I'm just saying that we practice all year for state. It's the only meet that really matters. the other thing is, golf is probably one of the cheapest state tournaments there is. 6 girls and 2 coaches in a hotel vs. 15 and 4, plus trainers, plus stat girls.
        Last edited by Madi V:)Mitchell; 05-16-2014, 07:24 AM. Reason: added opinions
        ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Make sure everyone gets their participation medal.

Comment

I once ran a 10k and finished dead last. Before the race, they said there would be a prize for whoever finished dead last, but they would not say what the prize was. Guess what the prize was? A coupon to pick up a free pair running shoes from Foot Locker. Those were a very pair of shoes, that have since be worn out. That was my first 10k and ran many more after that. So the participation medal is a good idea.

Comment

[QUOTE=Madi VMitchell;254303]
              Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
              You realize it costs schools money to send kids to State Tournaments right?[/QUOTE

I wasn't born yesterday, thanks. Anymore it's not as big of a deal to me because I'll be gone after next year anyway. I'm just saying that we practice all year for state. It's the only meet that really matters. the other thing is, golf is probably one of the cheapest state tournaments there is. 6 girls and 2 coaches in a hotel vs. 15 and 4, plus trainers, plus stat girls.
              Don't forget transportation, meals, and rental of the golf course itself (probably the most expensive part). Isn't the state tourney the goal of every team in any sport? Just because it is a goal, doesn't mean everyone is entitled to play in it.
              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Well this is way off topic and has nothing to do with Jared Bazler.

Douglas had one girl shoot a 160 (+88) on the second day of the tournament. That is impressively bad. What a great experience for this young lady!

The winner of the tournament shot a 149 over two days. That is impressive.

How about to qualify for state, make a requirement that the golfer must shoot under 100 in a sanctioned tournament at some point in the season. It just seems wasteful to just qualify everybody.
                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post

Douglas had one girl shoot a 160 (+88) on the second day of the tournament. That is impressively bad. What a great experience for this young lady!

How about to qualify for state, make a requirement that the golfer must shoot under 100 in a sanctioned tournament at some point in the season. It just seems wasteful to just qualify everybody.
                  Or at the very least 1 from each school maybe, so have a quailfying number like 100, so most teams and a lot of players will make the cut, but maybe have it so so the top golfer from each school goes even if they dont make the cut. so its sort of a trade off bring the best who deserve to go but dont shut out some of the school and players completely.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post

You can't let this happen in a state tourney, think of the kids that had to play with her. She shot an 80 on nine holes!! How is a fellow player suppose to stay focused on their game when that is going on in the group?? I would set the number around 110 or 120.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      You can't let this happen in a state tourney, think of the kids that had to play with her. She shot an 80 on nine holes!! How is a fellow player suppose to stay focused on their game when that is going on in the group?? I would set the number around 110 or 120.
                      Hey now, that's about what I would golf!

Of course I'm the world's 2nd worst golfer. I thought I was the world's worst but at my 10 year class reunion I golfed with a bunch of buddies and a classmate took that title from me. He sucked more than me.

I can hit a baseball or softball, but not a golf ball.

Comment

[QUOTE=ringthebells;254464]
                        Originally posted by Madi V:)Mitchell View Post

Don't forget transportation, meals, and rental of the golf course itself (probably the most expensive part). Isn't the state tourney the goal of every team in any sport? Just because it is a goal, doesn't mean everyone is entitled to play in it.

The MABC pays for the meals every year. And Honestly I wouldn't mind paying for my own food. When we play practice rounds the only thing that is paid for is the round itself. Girls get better over the years. I did terrible at my first ESD, and my first state..but this year I did way better. No I didn't place because I'm not amazing, but I've taken a lot of strokes off my game over the years. You really don't know how much of a privilege it is and how hard these girls work for this until you are one. Which will never happen.
                        ---Herb Brooks

Comment

the tie for 19th was a 170, I had a 189.
                          ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                            You don't worry about anyone else's game. If you want to play golf in the first place, you stay focused on your own game all of the time. Who you play with doesn't and shouldn't matter.
                            ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Jared Bazler

Young lady, I myself participated in high school golf and played in one state tournament my junior year, in which I had to qualify via a regional. I missed the qualification by 1 stroke my senior year by choking in the regional. My loss and lesson learned.
                              Sports is about the joy of winning and the agony of defeat. In the current everybody qualifies world, your generation is not learning how to handle losing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

You think I don't know how to handle losing? I've lost plenty of times. I've had many chances to medal in golf and I've missed them. I've had many chances to win state softball tournaments. Bases loaded down by one and two outs. What did I do? Strike out as the clock hit 00. Trust me I know how to handle losing.
                                ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Working...
                                X