Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Breaking: SDSU wins South Dakota Corn Showdown for 2013-2014

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    I agree: Those guys played their nuts off.
    Not my point.

They are both pre-med students. That's far from bare minimum when it comes to academics.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      Refresh my memory - How many Academic All-Americans did the Yotes have this year ?
      Two less than the Jacks?!?!!??!?!

What do I win!?!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
        All student-athletes are doing bare minimum.
        You can't seriously expect to get away with this statement. Surely you jest.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          Not my point.

They are both pre-med students. That's far from bare minimum when it comes to academics.
          Sorry, I did miss your point. As far as academics, these guys are heads and shoulders above the run of the mill student at SDSU. Lets say they studied their nuts off.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 06-03-2014, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Yes there are exceptions. I should have used a better choice of words. What I mean by that statement is that its not like they are taking a full load of credits like regular students and they have someone watching their grades 24/7 so its easier to maintain a good GPA and stay eligible.

Comment

Yes there are exceptions. I should have used a better choice of words. What I mean by that statement is that its not like they are taking a full load of credits like regular students and they have someone watching their grades 24/7 so its easier to maintain a good GPA and stay eligible.
              Participation in any sport at SDSU takes time, just ask Goon who was on the tennis team, and they practiced at all odd hours. Can you imagine, and I am sure you can, how many hours for BB and FB that each SA has to spend in order to avoid the pine ride. So reduced credit hours are the normal, and yes they do get extra hand holding whether they want it or not. Its tough for a coach to replace a SA, in the middle of the season, when they do not succeed in the classroom.

Comment

Since this thread has drifted into an academic discussion I will feed the drift. The BOR athletic academic report came out this afternoon. http://sdbor.edu/theboard/agenda/201..._CommA0614.pdf

Page 11 of 13 has the GPA by term. Term GPA for all athletes at SDSU 3.06. At USD it is also 3.06. A great job by all of the student athletes. There are sports or areas where each school is slightly better but overall the GPA was equal.

Comment

Originally posted by el_presidente View Post
                  Since this thread has drifted into an academic discussion I will feed the drift. The BOR athletic academic report came out this afternoon. http://sdbor.edu/theboard/agenda/201..._CommA0614.pdf

Page 11 of 13 has the GPA by term. Term GPA for all athletes at SDSU 3.06. At USD it is also 3.06. A great job by all of the student athletes. There are sports or areas where each school is slightly better but overall the GPA was equal.
                  Thanks for bringing facts.

I'll put my SDSU education up against any institution. It's a high quality education.

Comment

Many SDSU athletes take full loads and graduate "on time".

Comment

...The only thing that USD has on SDSU is that USD offers more graduate programs....
                      I'm going to try to research that point...not sure USD offers more graduate programs. I'll let you know what five minutes, 39 and two-tenths seconds of research on the internet reveals. My initial reaction is that USD may grant post-grad degrees to more individuals but SDSU grants more post-graduate degrees.

Comment

USD’s Wikipedia page states the following numbers: 7,690 undergrads and 2,594 graduate students (a footnote reference indicates the numbers are from November, 2012).

USD website ( http://www.usd.edu/academics/graduate-programs.cfm)states:
                        “The Graduate School is the largest in South Dakota, with 66 graduate and professional programs and producing more than half of the graduate and professional students from state institutions. Graduate and professional students typically comprise 25% of USD's student body, reflecting the integral role of graduate education, research, and creative scholarship at USD.”

SDSU’s Wikipedia page states the following numbers: undergrads, 10,840, and total students, 12,554 (the difference, 1,714 should be the number of graduate students. Not sure what year those numbers were taken from but my recollection of enrollment numbers tells me those numbers are about right for 2012.

SDSU website (https://www.sdstate.edu/graduate/) states:
                        “With 43 graduate program choices, including two professional doctorates, 12 Ph.D., and 29 Master's programs….”

Obvious fact: when a student at SDSU wants to go to law school or med school in state, you go to USD. And, of course, when a student wants to graduate with a Pharm. D degree in state, you have to go to SDSU. So, I'm not sure the size of a school graduate programs tells me much.

An interesting statistic would be this: how many SDSU students who go on to Law, Med and graduate-level business schools, do not go to USD? I think the number is relatively great.

Comment

Can I vote for "meh" again?
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                          X