Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard Pill to Swallow- Austin Hansen a Yote!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Pill to Swallow- Austin Hansen a Yote!!

Please someone explain? Did he get homesick in Colorado? What was the reason he left SDSU in the first place? Austin is one of my favorite people I've been around. My favorite Jack player of all time. He was always cordial to me and my family. I cannot see him in RED!

Re: Hard Pill to Swallow- Austin Hansen a Yote!!

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
    Please someone explain? Did he get homesick in Colorado? What was the reason he left SDSU in the first place? Austin is one of my favorite people I've been around. My favorite Jack player of all time. He was always cordial to me and my family. I cannot see him in RED!
    Moving to Verm town is good medicine. That's all. He will still be a good guy, and I'm positive he will always be cordial, and if you play your cards right, he might even come back to Brookings after swallowing that big pill and seeing real life from down south.

Comment

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
      A favorite of mine too, but its no big deal. I think he is moving around to get experience in different programs. The HC at UNC got his M S degree at SDSU and was a grad assistant when Hansen played. An opening at USD and Hansen went for it and got it. End of story. Seems like Jim Thorson also hired on as an assistant to Noel Martin, and then the HC opened up at SDSU, and he left USD before the school term began.

Comment

Assistant coaches jump all over the place all the time, the situation in Greeley is far from a great one. I was told he was advised to leave SDSU, but I don't know any more then that. I was surprised Hansen wasn't a finalist for the HC job at USD, or at Western Illinois. Assistant coaches generally coach for head coaches, not for a school. If that makes any sense.

Comment

I've moved this thread from SDSU Men's Basketball to the Summit League section.

Comment

I'd want out of UNC and the Big Sky, too. I don't think Hansen made it a secret when he left SDSU that he wants to be a head coach. UNC doesn't appear to be a very good launching pad for that kind of advancement, at least not at the moment. Posts on the UNC fan board indicate that some fans want the current head coach fired, which I guess isn't a unique position in the fan base of any school.
            This space for lease.

Comment

I have no interest in having him back here again. There are lines you don't cross and bridges you don't burn! He took care of two birds with one stone. He may have no interest in coming back here. He certainly would know that taking the job in Verm would wreck his chances here.

Something doesn't smell right here. Why leave UNC so fast? And for USD? Sorry Yote fans, a lateral move at best IMHO. A desperate move? We're all going to vomit when we hear one of our best players talk about how excited he is to be in Vermillion.

Sad day really! I wish him the best. I just wish he didn't....

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Rumor on Twitter is that he wants better access to NW Iowa recruits.

/I'll show myself the door
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I would have been more disappointed if he didn't go to USD because of a silly rivalry. He is a professional now, not coaching at a school because of a rivalry is just idiotic. It wasn't a tough pill to swallow at all nor was it hard to accept.
                  "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                    I have no interest in having him back here again. There are lines you don't cross and bridges you don't burn! He took care of two birds with one stone. He may have no interest in coming back here. He certainly would know that taking the job in Verm would wreck his chances here.

Something doesn't smell right here. Why leave UNC so fast? And for USD? Sorry Yote fans, a lateral move at best IMHO. A desperate move? We're all going to vomit when we hear one of our best players talk about how excited he is to be in Vermillion.

Sad day really! I wish him the best. I just wish he didn't....

SUPERBUNNY

I disagree completely, Superbunny. Wreck chances? Nah. If there comes a day when we look for a basketball coach, we'll look for the best coach we can find and I don't think anyone would be taken out of the pool just because they were an assistant at a particular school. As a practical matter, it would be unusual for SDSU to hire as a head coach a coach who is an assistant at another Summit League school (compared to, for example, hiring as head coach a top assistant at a B1G school) but I hope we don't have such a litmus test...if a top assistant at a B1G school had served as an assistant for a while at another Summit League school, so what.

You know, there are many of us who are rabid Jackrabbit fans who spent some time in Vermillion. Personally, there's no issue about which community and school is preferable -- but, that does not mean USD/Vermillion are to be shunned at all costs. I met many impressive people at USD (seems none of them have discovered sports message boards )

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post

LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                        I would have been more disappointed if he didn't go to USD because of a silly rivalry. He is a professional now, not coaching at a school because of a rivalry is just idiotic. It wasn't a tough pill to swallow at all nor was it hard to accept.
                        Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post

Closer to Omaha airport. Direct flight for AZ basketball recruits! lol

Comment

It's a smart move by Craig Smith to hire someone who has both extensive Summit League experience and it familiar with the recruitment scene locally. SDSU sorely missed Hansen and Goff's organizational skills this year.
                            Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Comment

Again, assistant coaches coach for head coaches not for schools. Assuming pay is similar which is what I bet, coaching for Craig Smith in the 1st year at a school is better then coaching at UNC with a HC who has burnt his welcome. Look what being an assistant of Tim Miles did for Craig Smith?

the only thing about Hansen is if he wants to be a HC, he is either going to have to take a lower level head job, or get on higher level staff, or he will be viewed as a traveling low/mid-major assistant, and by-passed by many schools.

Comment

Working...
                              X