Next year's team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next year's team

They now know how good they are,but do not yet know how good they can be.The next step will be finding that out and it'll happen with arguably the best recruiting class since next years senior class.

In my opinion,we'll be a heck of a team next year,and I'll be watching with much interest,to see how far they can take the talent AJ will be assembling and putting on the court for next year.Can't wait,this year was a thrill ride,but looking forward to next year being even better.

Re: Next year's team

I would not overlook how good this year's freshmen players performed. Young, Ober, and Stevens accounted for 23.3% of the minutes and 23.5% of the fgs scored and 23.4% of the freethrows scored and 23.6% of the rebounds. There is no doubt many who anticipate some greatness among the new freshmen and the redshirt Flaata. The production from the 2013-14 freshmen should not be overlooked when considering the impact of that group this year and the years to follow. If they should be displaced by new players next season, we will be much better next year!
    Last edited by JackJD; 04-16-2014, 08:16 PM.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Agreed - the 2013 class showed over and over that they are special. Big minutes in big games. I can see that being the case with one or two freshman, but three on an already good team... wow. If the 2014 class comes close to living up to the hype we are in for a big run over the next three years.

We return seven players that were major contributors, plus three upperclassmen that saw spot-duty (10 total returning players). Add Milller, Flaata, and the three other recruits to that and you have a bench full of talent. I'm guessing a couple of the 2014's will redshirt because of the logjam.
      Last edited by JackJD; 04-16-2014, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
        Agreed - the 2013 class showed over and over that they are special. Big minutes in big games. I can see that being the case with one or two freshman, but three on an already good team... wow. If the 2014 class comes close to living up to the hype we are in for a big run over the next three years.

We return seven players that were major contributors, plus three upperclassmen that saw spot-duty (10 total returning players). Add Milller, Flaata, and the three other recruits to that and you have a bench full of talent. I'm guessing a couple of the 2014's will redshirt because of the logjam.
        One player less of a log jam for 2015-2016, with 14 on the roster , incomming freshmen for 2015-2016 of Mieras,Palmer ,Greattinger,Guebert.
        We lose alot to graduation with Waytashek,Boever,Stuart,Clarin,and Walters gone.I'm thinking we may need game experience more than a red shirt for this year?Maybe not.

We can get by without redshirting because we have no trouble so far finding good recruits and putting a winning team on the court year after year.We are a very strong program.

I do see your point though,some of these new recruits won't get much game experience anyway with 15 (2014-2015) on the roster,so why not give them one more year to develop.
        Last edited by jackdaniel; 08-18-2014, 11:00 PM.

Comment

If I had to guess the starters for the beginning of next year it would be :
          1. Gabby Boever ( 5-9 Senior)
          2. Kerri Young (6-0 Sophomore)
          3. Megan Waytashek (6-0 Senior)
          4. Mariah Clarin (6-1 Senior)
          5. Clarissa Ober (6-2 Sophomore)
          With the next five being:
          1. Chloe Cornemann (5-8 Junior)
          2. Macy Miller (6-0 Freshman)
          3. Rachel Walters (6-1 Senior)
          4. Chyna Stevens (6-0 Sophomore)
          5. Megan Stuart (6-2 Senior)
          I think Tiffany Flatta (6-2 Redshirt Freshman) could compete with Megan Stuart for Minutes and Alexis Alexander (5-7 Freshman) being the next guard pushing for time as 1 or 2 . I also see Young playing the three more when Megan W. is not in making Rachel Walters more of the third three, and Hart Continuing mop up duty unless a major improvement over the off-season. We could Easily Red-shirt Kaitlyn Severyn (6-0 guard) and Ellie Thompson (6-1 Forward) just because of depth.
          Last edited by JackJD; 04-16-2014, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsu_drake View Post
            If I had to guess the starters for the beginning of next year it would be :
            1. Gabby Boever ( 5-9 Senior)
            2. Kerri Young (6-0 Sophomore)
            3. Megan Waytashek (6-0 Senior)
            4. Mariah Clarin (6-1 Senior)
            5. Clarissa Ober (6-2 Sophomore)
            With the next five being:
            1. Chloe Cornemann (5-8 Junior)
            2. Macy Miller (6-0 Freshman)
            3. Rachel Walters (6-1 Senior)
            4. Chyna Stevens (6-0 Sophomore)
            5. Megan Stuart (6-2 Senior)
            I think Tiffany Flatta (6-2 Redshirt Freshman) could compete with Megan Stuart for Minutes and Alexis Alexander (5-7 Freshman) being the next guard pushing for time as 1 or 2 . I also see Young playing the three more when Megan W. is not in making Rachel Walters more of the third three, and Hart Continuing mop up duty unless a major improvement over the off-season. We could Easily Red-shirt Kaitlyn Severyn (6-0 guard) and Ellie Thompson (6-1 Forward) just because of depth.
            I could see that being the lineup. Another possibly would have Ober coming off the bench and have Stevens start at the 4 and have Clarin be the the 5.
            Last edited by JackJD; 04-16-2014, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Macy Miller starts from Day 1...
              Last edited by JackJD; 04-16-2014, 08:14 PM.
              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

She might, especially if she can develop her 3 point shot that is where young has the edge currently and normally you want good perimeter shooter for a 2 guard and I think its hard not to start Boever at 1 with her defense and effort plays.
                Last edited by JackJD; 04-16-2014, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Re: Next year''s team

Macy will need to earn that starter slot. IMHO, she'll be the next Summit newcomer, and likely 6th woman winner.

AJ's got a heck of a team there. Hope they mold well and early, and come into Dec. at 9-1, with lots of W's over NCAA/WNIT teams.
                  Last edited by JackJD; 04-16-2014, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                    I could see that being the lineup. Another possibly would have Ober coming off the bench and have Stevens start at the 4 and have Clarin be the the 5.
                    I would think that Stevens would be the starting 4. The backup 4 would be up for grabs if Ober and Clarin continue to share the post. Stuart could get a fire lit and find some time at the 4 or 5. Miller is hard to figure where she goes into the lineup since she could fit anywhere 1-3 or 4. the offseason could find someone's work bringing something to the team next fall that is unexpected. Overall it should be a solid group ready for a solid OOC schedule and all Summit challengers.
                    Last edited by JackJD; 04-16-2014, 08:13 PM.
                    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Incoming freshmen Thompson will be ready to contribute sooner than later.
                      Last edited by JackJD; 04-16-2014, 08:12 PM.

Comment

I know she has an impressive bio but it will be hard to find minutes at the 4 or 5. I think she will be coming in at a high level I just think she would be better utilized after Stuart and Clarin graduate.
                        Last edited by JackJD; 04-16-2014, 08:12 PM. Reason: phone spell checked me

Comment

We can really mess with an opposing tall shot blocker like Hamson was with the multiple players with height we can play at the post and wings,we have to move a player like her around like a chess piece and put bodies on her to keep her out of the paint better.Especially those players we have that can pop three's as well.

Plus the added threat to dribble drive like we've been doing (Macy,Kerry,Gabby,Megan,Chynna) the last couple years.
                          Passing has been really effective too.Fast break has been great,we can get downcourt really fast.

We are a lot better shooting the 6-8 foot short jumper,that's good and puts more pressure on the defenders.

Our screen setting could improve a little,mostly the timing.We have so many great skill players and we will have a lot of weapons offensively,and will be able to score in a variety of ways.

Our three point shooting is adequate,and must be respected,but we lose three from last year who shot the three well(94 three's with Paluch and Hieser both shooting 37 1/2 %)l.What I like,our three point shooting comes from multiple people,not just one or two ,but we have players who can get a hot hand too.
                          Most teams have just one or two who attempt the three,easily identified and thus defended.Our threat comes from the whole 3 point shot line ,lot more area to defend.

If our defense remains strong,we'll be tough to beat.Can't wait to see this team in action when everything comes together,like it did during the WNIT run this year.Getting adjusted to adding new players ,and not having the ones who graduate.

The possibilities are there ,find them,dream them,live them.
                          Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-17-2014, 08:54 AM.

Comment

The title of this thread has to be driving every copy editor in the world nuts. Can someone with title-editing capability add the apostrophe, please?
                            Last edited by JackJD; 04-16-2014, 08:11 PM.

Comment

NoVaJack: I fixed the initial statement of the thread title but cannot do that for the title appearing in the posts.

Added: Okay, figured out how to edit the title on each post. I'll get them fixed...sure don't want NoVaJack getting an editor's itch.

Comment

Working...
                              X