Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    2010 was five years ago. ND was starting to close the gap and they have since done that.
    Correct numbers: As of the 2010 census, the gap was actually 141k(814k for SD, 673k for ND). The gap has shrunk over the last four years, but it's still significant. The 2014 estimates are 740k for ND and 853k for SD, for a 113k difference in favor of SD.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
      Correct numbers: As of the 2010 census, the gap was actually 141k(814k for SD, 673k for ND). The gap has shrunk over the last four years, but it's still significant. The 2014 estimates are 740k for ND and 853k for SD, for a 113k difference in favor of SD.
      Thanks, I guess I over-estimated the boom effects. No doubt many temporaries in terms of incoming population. The Sioux Falls growth seems to be more permanent.

Comment

John Oliver from Last Week Tonight ripped apart the NCAA and why it is exploitation. Pretty greathttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX8BXH3SJn0
        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
          John Oliver from Last Week Tonight ripped apart the NCAA and why it is exploitation. Pretty greathttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX8BXH3SJn0
          Amateurism is dead,it was a quaint idea finally crushed by peoples love of money.I laugh when athletes say they love the game so much they'd play for nothing,Nascars Gordon just made this ridiculous statement.People don't do anything for nothing ,there's alway's a money angle somewhere involved. Even charitable events, I'm sure there's some tax write off ,payment, endorsement, some kind of gain involved.Let's be honest.

Not saying some people don't have kind hearts, jus say'n, as long as everyone wants to be brutally honest. Even third grade Y ball isn't purely amateur, they might buy them McDonald's afterwards. It might have been naïve and ultimately a futile attempt to keep collegiate sports separate from professional sports by the governing body, but it was their own greed and a double standard that brought them down.
          I will say however, it takes lots of money to promote, pay for travel ,hire employee's to compile tons of stats, generally run an organization like the NCAA, so they had to make some money, maybe the weight and sheer size of running this organization got too much into their planning for the future and the numbers got too big and gaudy to keep people from noticing. A billion dollar Enterprise, that's a pretty eye catching statement if you ask me.

I think we see the NCAA as switching its role from one of preserving the tradition of protecting Amateur Athletics as the standard in collegiate sports,to just an organization primarily focused on just organizational skills to keep things running somewhat smoothly. The NCAA is getting out of the enforcement business it seems to me.Too many headaches.
          Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-16-2015, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
            Love me some John Oliver. Got a laugh from the cat poster.

Comment

Working...
            X