Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

http://college-football.si.com/2014/...n-kain-colter/
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Who was the first to say "When somebody says 'it's not about the money' . . . it's about the money!"?
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Oh How IL Politics are affecting this nation.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          I don't like where I think this is headed.

The kid from Northwestern was on a free ride scholarship worth $75,000 per year. To earn that he had to play a game. He plays a fricking game to essentially earn more money the year after high school graduation than many people earn, well ever. He certainly could have chosen not to play this game and pony up the money to pay for college on his own. Then when he graduates he will be in major debt and be paying off student loans for the first 10 years or so of his life after college. The scholarship avenue doesn't sound too bad to me.

Now the NCAA involves so much money anymore, something really needs to be done. I'm not sure this is the right answer though.
          While I agree with the spirit of your post, student-athletes at DI institutions more than earn way, IMO. Being a DI athlete means at least 4-5 hours every day, year round, spent on that "free" ride. I think somebody did the analysis on here long ago, but at public schools it equates to around minimum wage.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
            While I agree with the spirit of your post, student-athletes at DI institutions more than earn way, IMO. Being a DI athlete means at least 4-5 hours every day, year round, spent on that "free" ride. I think somebody did the analysis on here long ago, but at public schools it equates to around minimum wage.
            Yes, it is a lot of hours over 4 or 5 years, but graduating without $40,000+ worth of student loans is a huge benefit. Plus these athletes are leaving with a (hopefully) marketable education. There are additional benefits such as early registration, free tutors, travel. I would be in favor of some sort of "cost of living" equation, but am unsure of how that would work and students not end up in $25,000/month town homes.
            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

I never said they don't earn their scholarship. I'm well aware what kind of commitment it takes to play a sport collegiately. However to insinuate they are "underpaid" well I disagree with that. I would venture to guess a vast majority of college athletes are ok with the work they put in to earn their scholarship. Most probably look back on their collegiate sports careers (after they go "pro" in something else) as the best time of their life. This lawsuit makes it seem like they are getting a raw deal. I don't and probably never will agree with that.

So we pay them? Where does that money come from? It might be easy to justify for football and basketball, but it's a little tougher when you consider paying a tennis player or wrestler. At most universities those sports aren't filling arenas.

Comment

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/1-tril...141440433.html

Comment

I think student athletes should be paid in some way. Some type of revenue sharing with the NCAA. How would that work and how would it be implemented? I have no idea. Is there even a way to do it? I still don't know.

However, if we don't find a reasonable solution, I think that players should be able to make money professionally as soon as possible. This would affect a very small % of athletes, but I think it's important to let that small percentage earn money as soon as possible if they are capable. Get rid of age limits for NBA and NFL if we aren't going to pay athletes.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Practice and train for 4-5 hours per day or wash dishes, make burgers, or wait on tables 4-5 hours per day. It is a choice many need to make in order to get through school. I remember talking to young students from SDSU in the past who had borrowed all the money needed to pay for tuition and room while they were working to spend all their money on recreation and food. The growing debt for students may have some other underlying items of interest. The largest obstacle for union forming may still involve Title 19 compatibility.
                    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                      Practice and train for 4-5 hours per day or wash dishes, make burgers, or wait on tables 4-5 hours per day. It is a choice many need to make in order to get through school. I remember talking to young students from SDSU in the past who had borrowed all the money needed to pay for tuition and room while they were working to spend all their money on recreation and food. The growing debt for students may have some other underlying items of interest. The largest obstacle for union forming may still involve Title 19 compatibility.
                      Title 19 in SD has to do with Medicaid at least that where my GOOGLE Search lead me. You might expand on that. Personally, I don't have a dog in this fight. It sounded like a one Federal Judge ruling. This case may not go any where, which will allow College Presidents egos to grow with each Sweet 16 appearance. These are the real culprits imo.
                      Last edited by Nidaros; 03-27-2014, 12:50 PM.

Comment

I dont think they should get "paid" if the select few who really just want to make money asap, they have other options besides college, no one forces them to go to college, If they have a beef with not being able to make money as a athlete right out of high school, then they should take their beef up with the profession league that requires some sort of age or policy for when people can join those leagues. If they think they need money that bad, then dont go to college.

How ever I dont have a problem with guys making money off of there fame if done above the table. Like selling merch etc. If its their merch they hvae that does not belong to the school, I dont care if a player wants to sell or auction something to make some cash, collector items signed basketball etcs is fine with me.

I think there are plently of other reforms the NCAA could and needs to make, but student athletes getting "paid" is not one that i would support. eliminating the harsh transfer rules, or if a school gets in trouble and losses scholarships from past misdeeds, hurting the change for future students to deny support to them is just dumb. fine the schools more, or actually punish coaches who bail for a different school and never get in trouble...or rarely get in trouble for messing up a athletic program would be a small start.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                          I never said they don't earn their scholarship. I'm well aware what kind of commitment it takes to play a sport collegiately. However to insinuate they are "underpaid" well I disagree with that. I would venture to guess a vast majority of college athletes are ok with the work they put in to earn their scholarship. Most probably look back on their collegiate sports careers (after they go "pro" in something else) as the best time of their life. This lawsuit makes it seem like they are getting a raw deal. I don't and probably never will agree with that.

So we pay them? Where does that money come from? It might be easy to justify for football and basketball, but it's a little tougher when you consider paying a tennis player or wrestler. At most universities those sports aren't filling arenas.
                          The NCAA is running a company store, IMO. They are bringing this on themselves.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

This seems totally fair. /s

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/03/ohio...nus-wrestling/

Comment

This is outrageous, the AD getting a 18K bonus for having one wrestling champion. I bet he hardly knows who the wrestler is. Ohio State is a big place.

Comment

The NCAA is running a company store, IMO. They are bringing this on themselves.
                                Can not disagree.

Comment

Working...
                                X