Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Interesting:

If we're going to be successful in raising the age from 19 to 20, part and parcel in those negotiations goes to the treatment of players on those college campuses and closing the gap between what their scholarships cover and their expenses. We haven't looked specifically at creating a financial incentive for them to stay in college. That's been an option that has been raised over the years but that's not something that is on the table right now.
    -- Adam Silver, NBA commiss

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
      I believe that is what they are hoping to do w/ the D-League. Here is a plan Mark Cuban discussed a few months ago:
      http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...er-option-ncaa
      I have said that I like Mark Cubans idea. Training for the pros in D League > training for pros in college. In fact, one college basketball writer researched and found out that evidence actually shows that players who left after their freshman year have had more success in the NBA than players who left after their sophomore year. Also, growing the D League into its own brand and getting a tv deal would be huge for the NBA
      "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Refocus people. The institutions have not created this situation. The athletic programs and NCAA have created this problem. This has very little to do with you or I except that we LOVE IT. Its gone this far because the general public LOVES major DI revenue sports and is willing to look the other way and fork over cash to see the product. The people getting screwed over aren't you and I. Students still get great educations every day at our nation's universities, even the ones the you think cheat. Reality? These institutions have virtually no control over the athletic departments. Why? Because it wouldn't work the way it does if they did.

When you cheer for the Kentucky Wildcats or give money to their athletic department you are supporting the University of Kentucky only in an indirect way through the profits made by exploiting a small number of exceptional athletes that are forced to attend university in order to become a professional in their chosen career. That is just the way we do it around here and it isn't changing until those being exploited are given a voice. Ed O'Bannon appears to be that voice. The NCAA is looking at major compromise and a complete remaking of what is currently DI sports or its all going to go away and have to be rebuilt from the ground up.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
          A&M was supposed to be absolutely terrible in the SEC so I wouldn't call it a viable institution before Johnny arrived. Also, the only reason Kyle Field is being renovated is all the interest, success, and money Johnny Manziel brought to Texas A&M.

On a side note, when Aaron Harrison made the game winning shot against Michigan, his coaches and AD earned nearly 330,000 in bonuses and Aaron didn't see any of that. But hey, he gets a free education where major colleges such as UNC care more about keeping the players eligible than teaching them and having them learn. At UNC, there are multiple athletes with a reading level of a 4th grader and they get steered into classes that aren't meant to have them learn but are meant to keep them eligible. Heck, an OSU football player graduated with a reading level of a 4th grader.
          It seems that we are considering a viable institution as a successful football program. Should we revisit the part of this thread that say student athlete? Also, it would be most informative to have some evidence of the 4th grade graduates. We might also revisit the public education that sent these young people from high school and place some responsibility at that doorstep!!!! It seems easy to make statements without providing empirical evidence.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
            It seems that we are considering a viable institution as a successful football program. Should we revisit the part of this thread that say student athlete? Also, it would be most informative to have some evidence of the 4th grade graduates. We might also revisit the public education that sent these young people from high school and place some responsibility at that doorstep!!!! It seems easy to make statements without providing empirical evidence.
            In order for a football player to make millions in the NFL, yes I would consider a successful football program as a viable institution for making millions in the NFL. Sure you can place blame on high schools but it is the colleges accepting them and allowing them to be eligible for the athletic programs.
            Here are some articles about reading levels
            http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/nca...eading-scores/
            http://www.wncn.com/story/24389518/c...th-grade-level
            Athletes take fake classes
            http://www.businessweek.com/articles...lasses-scandal
            Julius Peppers had his grades changed
            http://thebiglead.com/2012/08/13/unc...eryone-to-see/
            It is more than just UNC
            http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/03/...nt-gumbel.html
            Dexter Manley was the famous athlete to admitted to graduating but not being able to read
            http://www.nytimes.com/1989/05/28/sp...letes-run.html
            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
              In order for a football player to make millions in the NFL, yes I would consider a successful football program as a viable institution for making millions in the NFL. Sure you can place blame on high schools but it is the colleges accepting them and allowing them to be eligible for the athletic programs.
              Here are some articles about reading levels
              http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/nca...eading-scores/
              http://www.wncn.com/story/24389518/c...th-grade-level
              Athletes take fake classes
              http://www.businessweek.com/articles...lasses-scandal
              Julius Peppers had his grades changed
              http://thebiglead.com/2012/08/13/unc...eryone-to-see/
              It is more than just UNC
              http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/03/...nt-gumbel.html
              Dexter Manley was the famous athlete to admitted to graduating but not being able to read
              http://www.nytimes.com/1989/05/28/sp...letes-run.html
              These are good illustrations of questionable behavior. Also-if you consider a viable institution one that has a successful sports program, you are part of the problem that creates the situation. It is the equivalent of a job interview that might include the statement that I graduated from SDSU from a special engineering program to qualify for this job vs. I graduated from SDSU and they have a great sports program that qualified me for this position. The athletes that do not read past 4th grade made it through grade school, middle school, and high school. Did the parent have a clue??? Did the teachers have a clue??? Did the student athlete have a clue??? Remember when John Thompson thought it was not right to require student athletes to qualify with 16 ACT scores? These athletes have been allowed to move through the system by too many people to load the blame so deep on the NCAA. Although the NCAA has money and we deserve more compensation. The end result is uneducated young people who have taken advantage of the system as much or more than being taken advantage of. If you believe that personal or parental responsibilty is not the core of the problem, then you extend the entitled behavior that results in the problems for student athletes like you have illustrated.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                Refocus people. The institutions have not created this situation. The athletic programs and NCAA have created this problem. This has very little to do with you or I except that we LOVE IT. Its gone this far because the general public LOVES major DI revenue sports and is willing to look the other way and fork over cash to see the product. The people getting screwed over aren't you and I. Students still get great educations every day at our nation's universities, even the ones the you think cheat. Reality? These institutions have virtually no control over the athletic departments. Why? Because it wouldn't work the way it does if they did.

When you cheer for the Kentucky Wildcats or give money to their athletic department you are supporting the University of Kentucky only in an indirect way through the profits made by exploiting a small number of exceptional athletes that are forced to attend university in order to become a professional in their chosen career. That is just the way we do it around here and it isn't changing until those being exploited are given a voice. Ed O'Bannon appears to be that voice. The NCAA is looking at major compromise and a complete remaking of what is currently DI sports or its all going to go away and have to be rebuilt from the ground up.
                I don't understand the part in bold. You say the NCAA is at least partially to blame but absolve the institutions. Aren't they one in the same?

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                  I don't understand the part in bold. You say the NCAA is at least partially to blame but absolve the institutions. Aren't they one in the same?
                  I believe the NCAA is the governing body for athletics and doesn't have any authority over any other things within a university. The athletic departments are affiliated with an institution, but have their own budget. The athletic departments are members of the NCAA. Athletic departments are affiliated with an institution as required by the NCAA for membership.

Comment

These are good illustrations of questionable behavior. Also-if you consider a viable institution one that has a successful sports program, you are part of the problem that creates the situation. It is the equivalent of a job interview that might include the statement that I graduated from SDSU from a special engineering program to qualify for this job vs. I graduated from SDSU and they have a great sports program that qualified me for this position. The athletes that do not read past 4th grade made it through grade school, middle school, and high school. Did the parent have a clue??? Did the teachers have a clue??? Did the student athlete have a clue??? Remember when John Thompson thought it was not right to require student athletes to qualify with 16 ACT scores? These athletes have been allowed to move through the system by too many people to load the blame so deep on the NCAA. Although the NCAA has money and we deserve more compensation. The end result is uneducated young people who have taken advantage of the system as much or more than being taken advantage of. If you believe that personal or parental responsibilty is not the core of the problem, then you extend the entitled behavior that results in the problems for student athletes like you have illustrated.
                    Word!

Also-if you consider a viable institution one that has a successful sports program, you are part of the problem that creates the situation. It is the equivalent of a job interview that might include the statement that I graduated from SDSU from a special engineering program to qualify for this job vs. I graduated from SDSU and they have a great sports program that qualified me for this position.
                    I remember making this very argument against our former AD in a SA meeting RE: reasons to/not to become D1 in sports. he told me my engineering degree was going to be worth more once SDSU went D1. LOL I still live in SD and have not got any benefit from the move with regards to my Degree. Sorry Fred, you were wrong about that then and your still wrong. It's just that I was the only one in the SA to stand up and point that out.

I still get mad to this very day thinking about his audacious and asinine statements.

Comment

How about a story that is positive?
                      https://shine.yahoo.com/ellen-good-n...202200109.html

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                        Word!

I remember making this very argument against our former AD in a SA meeting RE: reasons to/not to become D1 in sports. he told me my engineering degree was going to be worth more once SDSU went D1. LOL I still live in SD and have not got any benefit from the move with regards to my Degree. Sorry Fred, you were wrong about that then and your still wrong. It's just that I was the only one in the SA to stand up and point that out.

I still get mad to this very day thinking about his audacious and asinine statements.
                        So what are you doing for a living now days?

Comment

Working for a world wide safety company.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Comment

I actually think you can make a decent argument that moving DI does make a degree more valuable. There is no question that our nationwide exposure has gone up exponentially since our move. That gets the SDSU name out there. Name recognition is worth something.

You may not have gotten anything personally because of the DI move, but I will guarantee that there are people that have. I also think the number of people that have benefitted from their degree and SDSU being DI is likely low and it's pry a poor way to spin the move to DI.

FWIW, I would put my engineering education from SDSU up against virtually any institution in the country. The quality of the education at SDSU is very high.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                              I actually think you can make a decent argument that moving DI does make a degree more valuable. There is no question that our nationwide exposure has gone up exponentially since our move. That gets the SDSU name out there. Name recognition is worth something.

You may not have gotten anything personally because of the DI move, but I will guarantee that there are people that have. I also think the number of people that have benefitted from their degree and SDSU being DI is likely low and it's pry a poor way to spin the move to DI.

FWIW, I would put my engineering education from SDSU up against virtually any institution in the country. The quality of the education at SDSU is very high.
                              And most in the engineering circles knew that prior to D1and outside of athletics.

More exposure for SDSU, sure.

Comment

Working for a world wide safety company.

In Fred's defense, he had a hellva selling job to do. I suspect he made a bunch of blanket statements that did not turn out absolutely true. So many thought the D1 move was a bad move. Add to that, he had president breathing down his neck and telling him, "We are going to do this."

It's no wonder his family came apart, as the carry home stress had to be at a high level. So your taking him on probably did not help matters, but that not to say you can not disagree. I would be willing to bet that you recall this conversation more than Fred does.

I know nothing about the College of Engineering, or what your major was, but the school has a very good reputation. I could tell another war story from the 1950's, but I wont, except it was the low point in accreditation for the College of Engineering. Seems like we have a number of engineering people on this board who are doing fine, whether the D1 status factor into their getting jobs, I have no idea. I do speak from experience, when in late 1969, just out of Navy, I went job hunting in far off Los Angeles. All I had on my resume was jobs from college, including working at the Dairy Research Unit. I did not help make ice cream either often pitched manure. Then I had the big dish washing job at Ward's Café. Plus a top secret security clearance from the USN.

I recall one headhunter who was helping revamp my resume, tell me that my degree from SDSU was the best thing I had going, so that was highlighted up front. I ended up working for a company, where having a college degree was not a big deal. Nearly 50 years later the culture at that company has greatly change. The point was this: The headhunter way out California knew something about SDSU. He did not ask if we where a D2 or D1. So Fred was wrong in making that particular blanket statement. You were correct in challenging him.

Comment

Working...
                                X