Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    Doesn't give the NCAA the right to exploit a player for the profit of many that have nothing to do with Texas A&M. I love watching these athletes compete. I am not for unionization. I am for paying a reasonable amount of money to student athletes on scholarship. I have no idea what is reasonable. If the institutions and NCAA can make money using a players name or likeness the athlete should be allowed to do the same.

This isn't about the fans or the institutions. This is about athletes and the restrain placed upon them by an organization that seems to be in place simply to make money at the expense of and while exploiting student athletes. All of this is coming about as a consequence of Ed O'Bannon's lawsuit against the NCAA.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...eeds-to-trial/

I'm not saying this would never have happened in the future, it happening now because of this. All the philosophical arguments and vitriol expressed in posts on this forum and elsewhere are moot points for the most part. RO is right, except for the student athletes being exploited the rest of us want NOTHING TO CHANGE. That is equivalent to being okay with exploitation by CBC, ESPN, the NCAA and StubHub (I hate those guys), etc......

It may be fun and interesting to discuss the fairness of paying marquis guys, revenue sports, the value of an education, etc.... None of that really matters. If the judge and jury find in favor of O'Bannon or players are allowed to unionize things are going to change in a major way.
    Excellent post. I'm certainly not an union advocate,but the monopoly that the nations universities have over college athletics is the very reason unions were created.

Comment

Have we covered apathy yet? I don't care
      I just know that when it's all said and done,it'll probably cost me more to attend a game.

Oh,the injustice of it all.
      Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-22-2014, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
        Have we covered apathy yet? I don't care
        I am waiting for an underground movement to move these "college slaves" to freedom(and maybe a pro contract).
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
          I am waiting for an underground movement to move these "college slaves" to freedom(and maybe a pro contract).
          Smack in a non smack trhead? Just joking.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
            Excellent post. I'm certainly not an union advocate,but the monopoly that the nations universities have over college athletics is the very reason unions were created.
            Humor. Intended? If so, my most profound and earnest golf clap to you, sir.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
              Without Texas A & M as a viable institution, Johnny does not play, excel, and move to a multi-million dollar contract in the NFL. He can even do that without staying 4 years and getting a degree.
              A&M was supposed to be absolutely terrible in the SEC so I wouldn't call it a viable institution before Johnny arrived. Also, the only reason Kyle Field is being renovated is all the interest, success, and money Johnny Manziel brought to Texas A&M.

On a side note, when Aaron Harrison made the game winning shot against Michigan, his coaches and AD earned nearly 330,000 in bonuses and Aaron didn't see any of that. But hey, he gets a free education where major colleges such as UNC care more about keeping the players eligible than teaching them and having them learn. At UNC, there are multiple athletes with a reading level of a 4th grader and they get steered into classes that aren't meant to have them learn but are meant to keep them eligible. Heck, an OSU football player graduated with a reading level of a 4th grader.
              "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                A&M was supposed to be absolutely terrible in the SEC so I wouldn't call it a viable institution before Johnny arrived. Also, the only reason Kyle Field is being renovated is all the interest, success, and money Johnny Manziel brought to Texas A&M.

On a side note, when Aaron Harrison made the game winning shot against Michigan, his coaches and AD earned nearly 330,000 in bonuses and Aaron didn't see any of that. But hey, he gets a free education where major colleges such as UNC care more about keeping the players eligible than teaching them and having them learn. At UNC, there are multiple athletes with a reading level of a 4th grader and they get steered into classes that aren't meant to have them learn but are meant to keep them eligible. Heck, an OSU football player graduated with a reading level of a 4th grader.
                So how does paying all these "student athletes" eliminate what UNC and OSU (and likely a ton of other colleges) are doing these things with less than smart individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  So how does paying all these "student athletes" eliminate what UNC and OSU (and likely a ton of other colleges) are doing these things with less than smart individuals.
                  It is more than just UNC and OSU that does this, in fact I would be willing to bet the majority of the major universities do this. My point was that we need to stop using "free education" as a reason to not pay players. Universities do not care what they learn in the classroom as long as they remain eligible and student-athletes can leave college having a 4-5th grade reading level. Sure, there are student-athletes such as Aaron Craft who excel in the classroom but let's not pretend that major universities care that much about students.
                  "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

It wouldn't eliminate what schools like UNC and OSU do. However:

Money + Phony Degree > Phony Degree

Seems like a no-brainer to me. Many student athletes are probably ill equipped to deal properly with money, but that is hardly an argument against fair wages for fair work. IMO, of course.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                      It is more than just UNC and OSU that does this, in fact I would be willing to bet the majority of the major universities do this. My point was that we need to stop using "free education" as a reason to not pay players. Universities do not care what they learn in the classroom as long as they remain eligible and student-athletes can leave college having a 4-5th grade reading level. Sure, there are student-athletes such as Aaron Craft who excel in the classroom but let's not pretend that major universities care that much about students.
                      You obviously missed the part in parenthesis that said "and likely a ton of other colleges".

The real problem is that universities allow crap like that to happen. That's what needs to be fixed. You are a student athlete you need to do the student part. The student part comes first. If they can't make the grade they aren't eligible. The NCAA needs to step up on that.

Millions of student athletes have used athletic scholarships to get a "free education". So by all means lets start paying the dumbest of the dumb to come be a "student athlete" and take away a spot from someone who is deserving. If an athlete can't qualify he has no business in college.

Comment

SIAP but the NBA has listed their number one priority as raising the age for playing in the league to 20. http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?story...rc=desktop&wjb

What does every one think of "2 and dones"?

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          It wouldn't eliminate what schools like UNC and OSU do. However:

Money + Phony Degree > Phony Degree

Seems like a no-brainer to me. Many student athletes are probably ill equipped to deal properly with money, but that is hardly an argument against fair wages for fair work. IMO, of course.
                          Somehow there needs to be major consequences for the crap at UNC and OSU (AND A LIKELY A WHOLE BUNCH OF OTHER UNIVERSITIES). Coaches and administrators need to be shown the door when stuff like that happens on their watch. Stuff like that devalues a degree from those institutions not to mention takes a scholarship away from a student athlete that deserves it because of their talents on and off the court or field.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                            SIAP but the NBA has listed their number one priority as raising the age for playing in the league to 20. http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?story...rc=desktop&wjb

What does every one think of "2 and dones"?
                            I think it's worse yet. The NBA needs to develop their own minor league system. Groom those kids to be pros there and let the kids that want an education go to college.

Comment

I think it's worse yet. The NBA needs to develop their own minor league system. Groom those kids to be pros there and let the kids that want an education go to college.
                              I believe that is what they are hoping to do w/ the D-League. Here is a plan Mark Cuban discussed a few months ago:
                              http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...er-option-ncaa

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                                I believe that is what they are hoping to do w/ the D-League. Here is a plan Mark Cuban discussed a few months ago:
                                http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...er-option-ncaa
                                That's a good plan. The D-League could be pretty dang fun to watch if you had all the one and done guys playing in it.

Comment

Working...
                                X