Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
    IF college athletes are broke why don't they utilize FAFSA and unsubsidized loans like a majority of college students on top of their scholarship? I was fortunate to have received a number of scholarships in my time at SDSU, but I always accepted a portion of my FAFSA so I would have some extra spending money. I guess I don't understand why that is such a problem for athletes that are claiming to "starve".
    Word!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Comment

IF college athletes are broke why don't they utilize FAFSA and unsubsidized loans like a majority of college students on top of their scholarship? I was fortunate to have received a number of scholarships in my time at SDSU, but I always accepted a portion of my FAFSA so I would have some extra spending money. I guess I don't understand why that is such a problem for athletes that are claiming to "starve".
      https://www.google.com/search?q=Nail...2F%3B500%3B319

Comment

NCAA is non profit though. Lol! http://deadspin.com/alabama-athletic...ams-1560555985
        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

See Section 15 of the NCAA Bylaws for Division I. In particular, review sections 15.02 and 15.1. Note there is an exception for Pell Grants and the comments about loans.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
            Don't confuse the legal status of a non-profit entity. Some of the most profitable entities in the country have the legal/tax status of "non-profit".

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              Don't confuse the legal status of a non-profit entity. Some of the most profitable entities in the country have the legal/tax status of "non-profit".
              Thrivant Life Insurance a good example, formerly known as Lutheran Brotherhood Insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                One serious issue with the whole "athletes-as-employees" strategy is that it puts at grave risk the tax-exempt status of athletic scholarships. As I understand things now, athletic scholarships are not currently considered taxable income. If however the unionization push succeeds, then the "income" represented by the athletic scholarship suddenly becomes taxable because the recipients are not students receiving a scholarship, but instead would be considered by the IRS to be employees receiving, as it were, a 'fringe benefit.'

Can of worms; opened.
                You are correct, athletic scholarships are non taxable income, but even if athletes are considered employees and are issued a W-2 to report taxable income to the IRS, that might not jeopardize the 501 (c) 3 status. The Salvation Army has thousands of employees who diligently report their W-2 income on their Form 1040 and pay taxes and their tax exempt status is never questioned by anyone of significance. I think when the NCAA members will be in trouble is when the athletic budgets trump the academic objectives of the university. ( This is what gave them the tax exempt status) At that point in time, their tax exempt status could certainly be challenged. There are millions of dollars made on athletes. The seven frosh from UK will no doubt be in the NBA next year making more than they would ever as student athletes. This the problem. There is strength in forming unions believe it or not. Would we have a 40 hour week and other benefits without the union efforts? I don't think so. I think they are just trying to form some sort of a quazi-union to improve some of the conditions for athletes. Maybe it will get the attention of all those over paid presidents, who make the rules for the NCAA. Therein lies the problem EGO city for the presidents and nothing for the student athletes who got that big piece of hardware for U Conn last evening. U Conn was reported to have a 62 million dollar budget for athletics.
                Last edited by Nidaros; 04-08-2014, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Jon Stewart took some shots at the NCAA during his show. Pretty funny http://www.bleacherreport.com/articl...the-daily-show
                  "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                    Jon Stewart took some shots at the NCAA during his show. Pretty funny http://www.bleacherreport.com/articl...the-daily-show
                    That was great. I'm a big Jon Stewart fan. He has the ability to drive home his point with sarcastic humor.

Comment

The NCAA announces that they will provide unlimited meals and snacks for all D1 student-athletes

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...es?division=d1

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                        The NCAA announces that they will provide unlimited meals and snacks for all D1 student-athletes

Baby steps....

Comment

And offensive linemen everywhere rejoice

Comment

Originally posted by sdsu_drake View Post
                            And offensive linemen everywhere rejoice
                            And every buffet owner cringes.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post

Another interesting take away is,
                              • Reduce the penalty for a first positive test for street drugs during championships;

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                                Another interesting take away is,
                                • Reduce the penalty for a first positive test for street drugs during championships;
                                ie, this is where we make our money, we gotta have our best workers on the field.
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X