Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Well if the ruling in this news (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...s-case-at-nlrb) is upheld then paying Division 1 Athletes above the table is not far off.

Thoughts?

Re: How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

My initial thought is that if this ruling (or the general thought process behind it) stands, it signals the end of college athletics as we know it today.

IMHO what this will do is eliminate the concept of the athletic scholarship in favor of some kind of compensation model that looks very much like an employee-compensation model (i.e. career service employee or the like). You will wind up with bidding wars among those institutions able to afford it for the highest-level athletes coming out of high schools. Essentially, you'll be scratching out the "student" portion of the formulation "student-athlete" for college athletics . . . at least at the highest levels.

This story comes to mind:

ONE day a countryman going to the nest of his Goose found there an egg all yellow and glittering. When he took it up it was as heavy as lead and he was going to throw it away, because he thought a trick had been played upon him. But he took it home on second thoughts, and soon found to his delight that it was an egg of pure gold. Every morning the same thing occurred, and he soon became rich by selling his eggs. As he grew rich he grew greedy; and thinking to get at once all the gold the Goose could give, he killed it and opened it only to find,—nothing.
    “GREED OFT O’ERREACHES ITSELF.”
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      My initial thought is that if this ruling (or the general thought process behind it) stands, it signals the end of college athletics as we know it today.

IMHO what this will do is eliminate the concept of the athletic scholarship in favor of some kind of compensation model that looks very much like an employee-compensation model (i.e. career service employee or the like). You will wind up with bidding wars among those institutions able to afford it for the highest-level athletes coming out of high schools. Essentially, you'll be scratching out the "student" portion of the formulation "student-athlete" for college athletics . . . at least at the highest levels.

This is unfortunate as it could be the beginning of the end for the non-revenue generating sports.

Comment

Would Title IX laws prevent from paying one athlete more than another? I may be wrong but if an SDSU football player got compensated, an SDSU softball player would get the same compensation. Of course that would be different between institutions

Comment

Another potential result would be that colleges would be forced to essentially "spin off" their intercollegiate athletic departments into something like wholly-owned subsidiary corporations which would be run exactly like a professional sports organizations--they would perhaps pay an annual license fee to the institution for the use of the institution's name and another perhaps for facilities, but would otherwise be in everything but name completely separate entities. Once again, the "student" part of "student-athlete" is rendered obsolete.

(This may very well be the preferred method of doing it, as it would likely side-step any Title IX issues. Say goodbye to non-revenue intercollegiate sports, too.)
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

So if they stop being on the sports team, taking the athlete part out of the equation, then they are employeed as factulty as the ruling says? or are they actually enrolled as a student.....who just happens to play sports for that school. So the concept of how they are employees and not students is the hard part I am trying to figure out.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              So if they stop being on the sports team, taking the athlete part out of the equation, then they are employeed as factulty as the ruling says? or are they actually enrolled as a student.....who just happens to play sports for that school. So the concept of how they are employees and not students is the hard part I am trying to figure out.
              It's just a part of the whole "cut off your nose to spite your face" vibe given off by the whole issue.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I don't like where I think this is headed.

The kid from Northwestern was on a free ride scholarship worth $75,000 per year. To earn that he had to play a game. He plays a fricking game to essentially earn more money the year after high school graduation than many people earn, well ever. He certainly could have chosen not to play this game and pony up the money to pay for college on his own. Then when he graduates he will be in major debt and be paying off student loans for the first 10 years or so of his life after college. The scholarship avenue doesn't sound too bad to me.

Now the NCAA involves so much money anymore, something really needs to be done. I'm not sure this is the right answer though.

Comment

This would benefit such a small minority of NCAA players at the cost of thousands of scholarships for the non super-elite.

It basically boils down to a few NFL and NBA caliber players whining because they don't get paid at the expense of the 95% of student athletes who are currently getting a scholarship but have no chance at a professional sports career.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                    This would benefit such a small minority of NCAA players at the cost of thousands of scholarships for the non super-elite.

It basically boils down to a few NFL and NBA caliber players whining because they don't get paid at the expense of the 95% of student athletes who are currently getting a scholarship but have no chance at a professional sports career.
                    And only the power confrences would benefits too. If they have the resrouces available. Would start the power 6 confrence seperate into some form of a quasi profession sports league/development program and then the NCAA would govern the rest of the schools close to the formate it does now then. Maybe its making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I dont see how this is really a good thing in the big picture. NCAA needs some reforms, but this is not the right direction.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Bingo.

This is my proposal. You want to play in the NBA, NFL, MLB, etc. You can right out of high school. These said leagues can create their own minor league systems to develop their players much like the MLB minor league system. If you CHOOSE not to enter one of these leagues out of high school you can accept a collegiate athletic scholarship and compete as an amateur. If you choose this route you will not be allowed to enter a professional league until you a) obtain a degree or b) 4 years has passed since you graduated high school.

The truth is a very very very select few (maybe less than 1%) is ready to compete at the professional level out of high school. Were talking the Kobe's and Lebrons of the world in basketball. Even fewer are ready for the NFL and MLB.

Comment

Which is why the "must play a year in college" NBA model is ridiculousness in my opinion. Hell make them spend a year in the D-league. What advantage would forcing say LeBron into a year of school have? All that would have done is taken an available scholarship from someone else. Everybody needs to be educated, but I think it's fairly certain that someone with a talent level such as LeBron college is not necessary. If those kids need further compensation, let them go (pro).

Comment

Ernie Chambers introduced a bill in Nebraska 20+ years ago for paying the Nebraska players. It eventually went to the wayside. Nebraska is home of the football crazy. The young fellow in this case Kain Colter was a competitive player at Northwestern and he may have trouble getting this next step completed to unionize the players. It was like the grad students at the U of M trying to unionize all the grad students and everyone would get the same stipend for their efforts. My son was a chemistry grad student who was working on projects funded by large companies. The sociology and English grads were paid less of a stipend and wanted equality with the rest of the students. Needless to say, the hard science students did not agree with the lowering of their stipend to supplement the others. It might be the equivalent of everyone gets half a scholarship and the walkon would be history. The union will need to have a large support in order to succeed. It may be a steep hill for those endorsing the plan to overcome the majority of players and the NCAA rules people at the same time.
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                            Which is why the "must play a year in college" NBA model is ridiculousness in my opinion. Hell make them spend a year in the D-league. What advantage would forcing say LeBron into a year of school have? All that would have done is taken an available scholarship from someone else. Everybody needs to be educated, but I think it's fairly certain that someone with a talent level such as LeBron college is not necessary. If those kids need further compensation, let them go (pro).
                            I agree with your disdain of the "one and done" mantra. I love college basketball, but I hate Kentucky and how Calipari has turned that program into a one and done institution. Those kids have no business competing as a student-athlete because to put it simple they aren't students. Let'em go pro. Most won't make it and then where will they be?

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                              Ernie Chambers introduced a bill in Nebraska 20+ years ago for paying the Nebraska players. It eventually went to the wayside. Nebraska is home of the football crazy. The young fellow in this case Kain Colter was a competitive player at Northwestern and he may have trouble getting this next step completed to unionize the players. It was like the grad students at the U of M trying to unionize all the grad students and everyone would get the same stipend for their efforts. My son was a chemistry grad student who was working on projects funded by large companies. The sociology and English grads were paid less of a stipend and wanted equality with the rest of the students. Needless to say, the hard science students did not agree with the lowering of their stipend to supplement the others. It might be the equivalent of everyone gets half a scholarship and the walkon would be history. The union will need to have a large support in order to succeed. It may be a steep hill for those endorsing the plan to overcome the majority of players and the NCAA rules people at the same time.
                              Anyone know if the big time football programs are actually money makers in the bigger schools?

If they are it might be easier to unionize the football players only. They don't get what they want, they strike now the university is losing revenue generated by the football program.

I agree it would be difficult to get the members of the tennis team to join the union where they may very well lose the chance to compete and thus earn a scholarship at the collegiate level.

Comment

Working...
                              X