Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WNIT,What's it mean?

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    Win and come home for the championship game--how does that sound?
    That sounds terrific.
    The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
      Dang - that run at home was so much fun. Washington gave them everything they could handle. Within 4 points with a minute or so left. Missed several 3 pt opportunities and than of course had to foul which gave the final margin.

Going to need to win a tough road game.

GBGBGJ
      There was a foul called at 1:00 min left and UW down by just two,but UTEP had the ball,plenty of time left for a missed shot,turnover or even a steal.Wondered if it was intensional or not,seemed too early if it was,kind of panicky even.I suspect it wasn't intensional,but just unfortunate and came at a pivotal point of the game,allowed them to get to a 2 possession margin with little time left.

These are the valuable learning experiences teams acquire from playing post season in tight,closely contested games, where every decision a player makes can greatly impact the game.Not only are we getting better,we are playing smarter too,the two when combined makes for a dangerous team.

This tournament has really brought forth the hidden potential of this team that was lying some what dormant beneath the surface and has given a glimpse of the team we will see next year.Very exciting times ahead.
      Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-01-2014, 11:04 AM.

Comment

http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/cont...ltimately-wins

Comment

Interesting take by the Mitchell columnist. I would add that although the Jackrabbit women lost to the Coyotes in the league tourney, they beat the USD twice during the regular season. The Jacks picked a bad day during the Summit tourney to have an off night. But they had a pretty good post-season anyway. The Jacks were a couple of baskets away from beating UTEP and hosting the WNIT championship game against Rutgers.
          This space for lease.

Comment

I'm sure many people would agree with this columnist. I understand where he is coming from, I wouldn't say he is totally off base either, but I do not agree with the columnist. The Jacks made a nice run in the WNIT which was fun, but the goal is to make it to win the Summit League tournament and advance to the NCAA tournament. And this team certainly was very capable of doing just that. I'll take a Summit League tournament title, regardless of what happens in the NCAA tournament, over a few extra games in the WNIT.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
              I'm sure many people would agree with this columnist. I understand where he is coming from, I wouldn't say he is totally off base either, but I do not agree with the columnist. The Jacks made a nice run in the WNIT which was fun, but the goal is to make it to win the Summit League tournament and advance to the NCAA tournament. And this team certainly was very capable of doing just that. I'll take a Summit League tournament title, regardless of what happens in the NCAA tournament, over a few extra games in the WNIT.
              I don't think anyone is saying that the WNIT is better than the NCAA tournament. But the exposure that those few extra wins gives the program nationally is very beneficial.

To the casual fan maybe they don't see a score on the ticker or coverage on ESPN2, but for a recruit maybe the thought of being able to play deep into a postseason is the tipping point between schools. Or maybe, god forbid, SDSU is on the bubble next year maybe a run like this gives them a little boost. Perhaps showing that that can play with other pretty good teams in a tournament gives the selection committee a reason to up their seed next year when the win the SL tournament.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that just because the WNIT doesn't have the glitz and glamour to regular fans don't discount the run. Besides it also gives the team momentum into next season instead of having their last memory of the season being the egg they laid in Sioux Falls.
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I would agree that the run could give a bit more juice to a seed next year should the Jackrabbits get the Summit Tournament win. The at large bid will still need more signature wins like Penn State or Green Bay on the road. It will also need wins against the MTSU or UALR or BYU to make the bubble talk bring the at large a reality. The schedule for the SDSU women gives the team a chance to qualify for an at large. They still need to win the games to make it happen should the Summit Tourney escape the grasp again. Meanwhile it is about 6 1/2 months before the next season and I would guess the team will improve again.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

The last mid-major rankings out,we finish in the top ten ranked number nine.

http://www.collegeinsider.com/womens...jor-top-25.php

Comment

Biggest plus I think is the extra games our freshman were able to get under their belt. That experience is invaluable.

Comment

I do believe that SDSU will eventually get an at -large bid.Other mid-majors have that have earned it.I really don't hold to the theory that we are a one bid conference and will never get an at- large and must therefore win the Conference tournament at the end of the year every year to get in the Dance.

Every game on the schedule is important and should be won,i see it as defeatist to view OOC losses and conference losses as "of little consequence" anyway because "we are a one bid conference and we have to win the Conference tournament anyway to get to the NCAA tournament".

Win the games and we will go,don't fall for thinking we don't have to try hard to win every game on the schedule because "they don't matter" it's how we play at the end of the year that really matters......Bull.
                      We have a good enough resume, we will go,but,I agree it's safer to take it out of the selection process altogether and get the auto bid,but it's nice to have something to fall back on if the auto bid isn't secured.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                        I do believe that SDSU will eventually get an at -large bid.Other mid-majors have that have earned it.I really don't hold to the theory that we are a one bid conference and will never get an at- large and must therefore win the Conference tournament at the end of the year every year to get in the Dance.

SDSU would have gotten an at large a few of those years had they not won the Summit League title, wouldn't they have? Especially the team that lost to Baylor in the second round. Wouldn't you have made the Big Dance that year as an at large?

Comment

Originally posted by yote4life View Post
                          SDSU would have gotten an at large a few of those years had they not won the Summit League title, wouldn't they have? Especially the team that lost to Baylor in the second round. Wouldn't you have made the Big Dance that year as an at large?
                          That's the only year we had a chance. I think we would have gotten an at-large that year.

Comment

Originally posted by yote4life View Post
                            The 2008-2009 team defiantly would have got an at-large, but i think that they would be the only team that would get one. The 2012-2013 team had a good resume but not as good as this years 2013-2014 team. The 2013-2014 team had the best shot at getting an at-large since the 2008-2009 team. It takes a great resume for a team from the Summit to get an at-large and unfortunately for SDSU they were just short this year. With USD and WIU rising and hoping NDSU and ORU get back on track while IUPUI remains tough perhaps the Summit could turn into a 2-bid league every once in awhile depending on how the teams ooc schedule turns out. There should be a lot of optimism about the future of the Summit basketball leagues.

Comment

A different viewpoint: http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/cont...-and-done-ncaa

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                                I think Ms. Yackley is off base in her response to Tupper's article.

She seems to think that Tupper thinks that the SDSU players, coaches, administration, or fans PREFER the WNIT over a "one and done" in the NCAAs. Here is a quote from Tupper's opinion, which is the crux of his article:

"I contend that in terms of fan excitement and recruiting momentum, SDSU will benefit more from its WNIT run than USD will benefit from its single game in the NCAA tournament."

She should have formulated a counterpoint focused on why USD will benefit more from its one and done in the NCAAs than SDSU will from its WNIT run.

Instead, she focused on why "USD player prefers 'one and done' at NCAA". My response would be "yep, so does SDSU.".

Comment

Working...
                                X