WNIT,What's it mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WNIT,What's it mean?

Womens National Invitational Tournament,is it a symbol for failure to gain entrance to the big dance,or, is it an opportunity?Steph got me to thinking about it when she said she never got to experience the feeling of winning a post season game.

The NCAA's are great,but after too many one and dones,it can become deflating.I look at the glass as half full,and an opportunity to have fun and get used to winning again.I really enjoy the extended season and the good basketball I've been able to watch,keep it going for as long as you can Ladies,and keep making fond memories you can cherish for a lifetime.

Re: WNIT,What's it mean?

It also means another game in Frost! It appears that there are 13 tickets available for Sec's BB-EE. There are 90 left in FF and 46 left in AA. I would guess that there are some general admission tickets sold as well. It is still a good tournament for the women to be playing. Go Jacks!!
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I would guess that a deep run in the NIT is more valuable to the program than a one and done in the NCAA tourney. We already have wins over Butler and regional foe Creighton with a chance to get another big win against Minnesota with Big Ten Indiana or Northwestern up next.

These are all teams we are recruiting against and every win is another notch in the belt to discuss with future recruits.

Not to mention the local media coverage the Jacks are getting as they are the only team left still playing.

Comment

This might be a little removed from the thread title ,but it does relate to us being in the WNIT and what it means to the program.So,satisfying my curious nature,I started looking back through the previous tournaments and saw that teams that do well in the NCAA tournament have had some success in the WNIT.Particularly James Madison and BYU (helps to have Sompson).The last two mid-majors to advance in the current NCAA tourney.

I think a deep run in the WNIT will only help us in the future to achieve bigger and better things and get back to the dance.But first,let's get as much out of this opportunity,at this time,with maybe a future goal to finally make it to the sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament forthcoming.We were sooo close in our first year in the Tournament,next years team should be awesome,so know we can do it.Laying the foundation for that goal now!

Comment

The fear of moving to D-I was that SDSU wouldn't be able to THE BEST, and National Champs. Success at the mid-major level is USUALLY making it to the sweet 16. WNIT kind of fits in as a "best of the rest", ie 2nd tier championship. While SDSU can be one of the best mid-majors, IMHO, it's a huge stretch that SDSU will ever be viewed as a TN, UCONN, Notre Dame, level of success. Winning, or playing for the WNIT title would be huge for the team, the school, and even the state. It's actually what would be the equal of winning the old "small college" champlonship. The nice caveat to that, is having to play through those middle of the pack FBS schools to get there.

Playing post season, at home, and going on a tear, priceless.

Great success tomorrow, against the Gophs. Quite literally, this is the highest possible RPI matchup left in the WNIT until a final. Win tomorrow, SDSU, especially on Frost(y) court should march to the title. (Shoulda, woulda, coulda to 6th Summit title too).

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
            I would guess that a deep run in the NIT is more valuable to the program than a one and done in the NCAA tourney. We already have wins over Butler and regional foe Creighton with a chance to get another big win against Minnesota with Big Ten Indiana or Northwestern up next.

These are all teams we are recruiting against and every win is another notch in the belt to discuss with future recruits.

Not to mention the local media coverage the Jacks are getting as they are the only team left still playing.
            Agree. There are lots of good things that come with this WNIT run.

I would LOVE to be able to say that we made it to a 6th consecutive NCAA tourney, but I realize that it almost certainly would have resulted in another first-round thumping. The season would be over and all the local college sports coverage would be focused on USD's new coach and SDSU's FB stadium approval. Instead, I saw a long feature on the SDSU women (again) on the KELO news last night. We have notched two more wins over Big East teams and are about to host the Gophers with a trip to the round of 8 on the line. This has worked out pretty well. If this is not already better than another one-and-done, it's going to get there real fast if we win another game or (especially) two. I'm glad I get to make another trip to Frost!

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
              Agree. There are lots of good things that come with this WNIT run.

I would LOVE to be able to say that we made it to a 6th consecutive NCAA tourney, but I realize that it almost certainly would have resulted in another first-round thumping. The season would be over and all the local college sports coverage would be focused on USD's new coach and SDSU's FB stadium approval. Instead, I saw a long feature on the SDSU women (again) on the KELO news last night. We have notched two more wins over Big East teams and are about to host the Gophers with a trip to the round of 8 on the line. This has worked out pretty well. If this is not already better than another one-and-done, it's going to get there real fast if we win another game or (especially) two. I'm glad I get to make another trip to Frost!
              Jacks overshadow the Coyotes even with their NCAA Tournament BID.

Comment

Tomorrow, the Jacks (RPI 49), play the Gophers (RPI 46). The winner plays the winner of the Indiana (RPI 84) vs. Northwestern (RPI 108) game to get to the final four. The winner plays the survivor of the Washington (RPI 89) vs. San Diego (RPI 53) & Colorado (RPI 106) vs. UTEP (RPI 59) tourney to play for the championship.

Big game at Frost. Looks like the numbers favor the winner. Go Jacks!!

Comment

What's it mean?

Well, I'd venture a guess that if you asked the players if they'd rather play in the NCAA knowing they are going to lose in the first round versus a "deep run" in the WNIT that they would say NCAA all the way. Why? First, it would mean that they won the conference tournament which is the only way for our conference to get in until we earn a second bid (not holding my breath). Second, there is serious cache to being in the "dance". Remember our first WNIT when we played Indiana? It was without question the best single game women's crowd Frost has ever seen. We're a better team now and we've drawn 2000 for Butler and 2500 for Creighton. Why not the same excitement? For the record, these ladies wouldn't have been satisfied just being in the NCAA tournament. They've been there and done that, they want to win games. That's the next step!

So, what about the WNIT? Some think it carries some serious prestige while others say you are playing for 65th place. I think it carries some prestige. To win it all you have to win the same number of games as the NCAA. I don't care what the competition level is, that is impressive.

Now, these ladies have had a great year. They had some benchmark wins (Penn State) and won the Summit Regular Season Title. They had an off night and lost to a Coyote team playing well and I'm not taking anything away from them. So, WNIT here we come. Yes, it's great we get to host a game or two. Great for both the players and the fans. If there is a game to be played then they are going to go out and win it. So, yes the WNIT can be a positive situation. It will no doubt give a lot of experience to our players that will be very useful next year. SDSU will gain some recognition in the local media not that they've been short any in the last six years. The Gophers coming to town presents a unique and golden (pun intended) opportunity.

We are in the WNIT! There's only one thing left to do!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

RPI may or may not be overrated. Northwestern (RPI 108) defeated IUPUI by nearly 40 points. Not sure on IUPUI RPI but would bet it's somewhere between our 49 and Northwesterns.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                      RPI may or may not be overrated. Northwestern (RPI 108) defeated IUPUI by nearly 40 points. Not sure on IUPUI RPI but would bet it's somewhere between our 49 and Northwesterns.
                      IUPUI's RPI was 126, as of Mar. 16.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                        thanks

Comment

I think this WNIT run can energize our fan base and especially our student section to get to more games next year. Especially if we can fill it on Sunday.

Comment

If we had said that we were 3-0 vs big east, and 3-0 vs B1G and had all those teams into Frost at the beginning of the season, it'd been man what a scheduler! If get the W vs IU, Jacks will have done that.

Large crowds, an aggressive bid for games, could readily bring the CBS Sports crew to Brookings 4/5. KEEP WINNING LADIES!!!!

Comment

Hats off to the Athletic Dept. and possibly some quiet donors that step up by bidding to keep this run going! Go Jacks!!

Comment

Working...
                              X