Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USD Hires Craig Smith

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    USD will need to make inroads in recruiting South Dakota kids. At this point, SDSU gets their pick of South Dakota high school recruits.
    Am I wrong for thinking Coach Smith may have burned a bridge to Huron and perhaps a few other schools (by way of colleagues of the Huron coach) with this decision?

Or is the general consensus that Decker was a strong D1 reach to begin with and should thank his lucky stars USD even offered?

I don't follow basketball in SD close enough to know.

Comment

Perhaps I misunderstand, but I don't think Decker changed his mind. The new coach at USD told him there wasn't a place for him on the "new" Yotes roster.

It happens, but one more illustration why kids would want to unionize. Decker would have had to beg USD for a release if he changed his mind. USD can drop him without notice.

USD will need to make inroads in recruiting South Dakota kids. At this point, SDSU gets their pick of South Dakota high school recruits.
      I am guilty of not reading every post on this board, and I missed one where there was mention of Coach Smith contacting Decker and telling him he was a misfit for the new and true USD BASKETBALL PROGRAM.

Comment

Perhaps I misunderstand, but I don't think Decker changed his mind. The new coach at USD told him there wasn't a place for him on the "new" Yotes roster.

It happens, but one more illustration why kids would want to unionize. Decker would have had to beg USD for a release if he changed his mind. USD can drop him without notice.

Correctomundo, USD told Decker they no longer wanted him and would only honor the first year of his scholarship because they would have to do to NCAA rules. It will be interesting to see how this incident will affect Smith's relationship with SD coaches, it's sounding like this move has rubbed a few coaches(Coach Buddenhagen has a pretty big network) the wrong way.

With that said, I disagree with those in this thread bashing Decker, he has some D1 talent but unfortunately he is only 6'5/6'6ish which doesn't translate the post for a D1 post position. Decker was physically the strongest player in the state(he was the only player that could match up with Hansen from Pierre) and also one of the best shooters in the state, he had some of the best in-game dunks that I have ever seen from a SD high schooler(better than Moss, maybe as good as Larson), his one big flaw besides his height would be his foot speed which isn't quite good enough to play the 3. He worked out really hard in the offseason with former Yote and current HHS coach Eric Hall, who gave his stamp of approval to Boots and James. If he goes the NSIC route (which it sounds like he might), he will really excel.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
          Am I wrong for thinking Coach Smith may have burned a bridge to Huron and perhaps a few other schools (by way of colleagues of the Huron coach) with this decision?

Or is the general consensus that Decker was a strong D1 reach to begin with and should thank his lucky stars USD even offered?

Back in the days of Nick Brod, Denny Busch, Rex Swett, and Johny Erhart this would be true, but that was a long time ago, like 1958-59. Huron seems to have a few Nick Nagy's but not that much talent. I know some one with ties to Huron will jump down my throat.

Comment

Interesting. USD, which promotes itself as South Dakota's team, has only one South Dakotan on its roster and chases away its only in-state recruit. I'd like to see Decker walk on at SDSU and develop into a stud like, say, Carlson. However, he'll probably get some scholly offers from other schools.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
              Interesting. USD, which promotes itself as South Dakota's team, has only one South Dakotan on its roster and chases away its only in-state recruit. I'd like to see Decker walk on at SDSU and develop into a stud like, say, Carlson. However, he'll probably get some scholly offers from other schools.
              Whereas SDSU chases away their non- South Dakota recruits- Prince, Silva and Donlan in just 1 year. Pot meet kettle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Comment

Originally posted by SkippyJack View Post
                Whereas SDSU chases away their non- South Dakota recruits- Prince, Silva and Donlan in just 1 year. Pot meet kettle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                And Bittle and Dykstra and Heemstra and Broman and Devine and the Callahans and oh wait your point is terrible.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                  And Bittle and Dykstra and Heemstra and Broman and Devine and the Callahans and oh wait your point is terrible.
                  So you think that Bixby Oklahoma is in the same general area as Portugal, Canada/Jamaica and Australia? Or perhaps Rock Valley, Iowa is closer to those countries? When the only 3 international recruits leave the same basketball program in the same 12 month period you don't see a pattern? Tell me the last international basketball recruit that graduated from SDSU?
                  Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Comment

So you think that Bixby Oklahoma is in the same general area as Portugal, Canada/Jamaica and Australia? Or perhaps Rock Valley, Iowa is closer to those countries? When the only 3 international recruits leave the same basketball program in the same 12 month period you don't see a pattern? Tell me the last international basketball recruit that graduated from SDSU?
                    Donlan has lived in the US since Oct. 2002. Was Silva on scholarship, I thought he was a walk-on?

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                      Tell me the last international basketball recruit that graduated from SDSU?
                      Kai Williams!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post

I agree.

Was Decker on the Dakota Schoolers roster last summer? High school coaches are important, no doubt, but a good relationship with the Schoolers seems absolutely critical for landing DI recruits from SD. I assume Craig Smith knows a little more about what it takes to land top recruits than I do though. A winning team is probably most critical.

SDSU has had at least half a dozen former schoolers as practice players, especially since the DI transition. I believe Coach Nagy has worked extremely hard to cultivate a good relationship there. But I have no inside knowledge, obviously.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
                          Correctomundo, USD told Decker they no longer wanted him and would only honor the first year of his scholarship because they would have to do to NCAA rules. It will be interesting to see how this incident will affect Smith's relationship with SD coaches, it's sounding like this move has rubbed a few coaches(Coach Buddenhagen has a pretty big network) the wrong way.
                          I may be in the minority here,but I think it is rather childish if Decker's coach and his buddies hold a grudge because a new coach decides that a recruit brought in by the prior staff does not fit in with the direction he wants the program to go. The coaches should consider if it would be better for him to sit a year at USD and probably get limited playing time even in practice, and lose a year of his five-year window,or move on to a school that wants him and can develop his game from the get-go.

Comment

Per Mick Garry, Decker is likely to join Joey James at Concordia-St. Paul.
                            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

It's the nature of Division 1 basketball. It sucks, but it's how it is. Craig Smith's livelihood depends on how USD does on the basketball court. He needs to be able to make those tough decisions.
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                              X