2017 recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 recruits

Good point about Stevens and the wing position. I forgot that she spent most of her time at the 4 with Thompson. It's been a couple years... One more bench player I forgot to mention is Sydney Tracy. Her offensive game is a long way from polished but AJ clearly likes what she brings in other areas. With her, the 2017/18 team would have 8 players that have already seen decent court time at SDSU. Add Larson, the three freshmen and the other three sophomores and there are suddenly a whole lot of options.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
      Good point about Stevens and the wing position. I forgot that she spent most of her time at the 4 with Thompson. It's been a couple years... One more bench player I forgot to mention is Sydney Tracy. Her offensive game is a long way from polished but AJ clearly likes what she brings in other areas. With her, the 2017/18 team would have 8 players that have already seen decent court time at SDSU. Add Larson, the three freshmen and the other three sophomores and there are suddenly a whole lot of options.
      Gotta figure we might see a redshirt or two for the freshman.

Comment

I don't think AJ has a history of red-shirting a lot, other than when it's necessary due to injuries or transfers, does he ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          I don't think AJ has a history of red-shirting a lot, other than when it's necessary due to injuries or transfers, does he ?
          He doesn't but with Macy, Lexi and Thuenick we'd have three PG's on the roster. I'd think you'd try to save a year of eligibility with Thuenick and red shirt her. Then her R-Fr year she backs up Macy at the point and takes over her So. year.

Comment

I think it's clear that AJ generally doesn't like to redshirt players, and I understand the logic. Get players out on the court and see if they can play. Save investments in redshirts for special situations, such as accommodating incoming transfers and injured players. Last year, I heard AJ say in a speech that he likes to keep one of the team's 15 scholarships open, when possible. That comes in handy when a transfer (like Larson, perhaps?) becomes available. The possibility of having too many good players next season would be a great problem to have!
            This space for lease.

Comment

You also have to consider that Macy may not be ready to go when the season opens. Every knee situation is different, but I remember that Gabby blew her knee out right before Christmas her senior year of high school, and I don't think she even practiced until the very end of her freshman red-shirt season. And if Alexander continues to improve, Macy could play some on the wing in Kerri Young's spot.

Comment

Per Mike Jewett on twitter:

In the past week the 3 young ladies in our 2017 class have scored 51, 44 & 36 points in different games. Glad they are Jackrabbits! #OnFire
                "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

https://www.midcosn.com/videos/?v=V2DDy5JhAvQ

Midco talks about Myah Selland

Oh, well that didnt work. Just go to micosn.com and there is a video about Myah Selland.

Comment

Watching Myah play in the SDHSAA State 'B' Basketball Tournament last year,it just seemed like she was like a college player playing in a HS game at times,not all the time , but enough to come away impressed by her passing,court sense, maturity,ball handling,etc,etc.She should flourish playing with other players in college who are as athletic as she is and will be able to handle her hard passes,etc,the things that look a little out of place in the HS game.She should be able to develop a little more in college with the faster pace,etc,etc of the college game,especially at the Div 1 level.She will become a very good player for the Jackrabbits in my opinion,and everyone else's I have a hunch.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                      https://www.midcosn.com/videos/?v=V2DDy5JhAvQ

Midco talks about Myah Selland

Oh, well that didnt work. Just go to micosn.com and there is a video about Myah Selland.
                      One thing is certain: Her "basketball barn" is going to come up about 5,000 times on broadcasts and articles over the next five years.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                        I think it's clear that AJ generally doesn't like to redshirt players, and I understand the logic. Get players out on the court and see if they can play. Save investments in redshirts for special situations, such as accommodating incoming transfers and injured players. Last year, I heard AJ say in a speech that he likes to keep one of the team's 15 scholarships open, when possible. That comes in handy when a transfer (like Larson, perhaps?) becomes available. The possibility of having too many good players next season would be a great problem to have!
                        Having an open scholarship available for red shirting for injuries makes sense,having a full roster reduces the effects of injuries on the team in general.Very good transfers are kinda rare aren't they?Just asking.My philosophy is get them at a young age and keep developing them,especially if you get a quality recruit,why hesitate to get them, just opens the door for others if you don't go and get them.Other considerations are secondary in my opinion.We get good recruits,and always are at the high side of roster capacity.Sometimes I wish the roster limit was higher,so we could get more really good players.Also,you have more to go on after losing seniors due to graduation every year,and particularly when the graduation class is large.

Comment

Not sure that higher roster limits would be of much benefit. Most coaches aren't going to go beyond an 8 or 9 person rotation, unless the game is a blow-out. Good players that don't see many game minutes are going to get restless, and look for other places where they could get playing time. We already have 2 or 3 players that get little playing time, and that time is not likely to increase with the quality of recruits coming into the program.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                            One thing is certain: Her "basketball barn" is going to come up about 5,000 times on broadcasts and articles over the next five years.
                            You have to admit, its a nice barn. I grew up playing bb in barns, but none like this one. Looks like her dad invested a few bucks in giving her a place to play basketball. Did she sign her LOI? I would assume so since AJ spoke rather freely about her.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                              Having an open scholarship available for red shirting for injuries makes sense,having a full roster reduces the effects of injuries on the team in general.Very good transfers are kinda rare aren't they?Just asking.My philosophy is get them at a young age and keep developing them,especially if you get a quality recruit,why hesitate to get them, just opens the door for others if you don't go and get them.Other considerations are secondary in my opinion.We get good recruits,and always are at the high side of roster capacity.Sometimes I wish the roster limit was higher,so we could get more really good players.Also,you have more to go on after losing seniors due to graduation every year,and particularly when the graduation class is large.
                              I honestly feel as though college WBB would be better off if the scholarship/roster limits were reduced. I understand that goes against anything Title IX related and I'm not trying to start that debate. But the parity in WBB would greatly increase if scholarships went from 15 to 14 or 13.

Comment

Q&A with Mankato Loyola's L.T.....

http://www.mngirlsbasketballhub.com/...rrer_id=248310

Comment

Working...
                                X