Spring Ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spring Ball

The lack of coverage by the Register is pretty pathetic!

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
      Thank you for the information. No way I meant to disparage SDSU track. It just came off wrong, my fault. I was a mediocre 440 yard runner myself in my HS days, so I understand track and field. It is by far the sport where you get the most nervous before performing. I remember dreading running the 440 all day in class because, well you'd know if you ever ran one. I appreciate great track athletes because I know how difficult it is. Sorry again...

Anyhow, back to spring football - Was the plan to move Schoff to left guard? I would think they'd keep him at right guard because that is where the Jacks usually put a big guy like him for run blocking. Just curious about the left guard move. I hadn't heard about that.

I really miss the spring ball updates we used to get several years ago. Wasn't it Hartley that would provide them?
      You just aged yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
        I remember dreading running the 440 all day in class because, well you'd know if you ever ran one. I appreciate great track athletes because I know how difficult it is. Sorry again...
        I honestly thought the 800 meter was much tougher to run. Two straight laps of basically going all out.

Comment

"Anyhow, back to spring football - Was the plan to move Schoff to left guard? I would think they'd keep him at right guard because that is where the Jacks usually put a big guy like him for run blocking. Just curious about the left guard move. I hadn't heard about that."

I didn't mean to imply that was going to happen, just thought it might. Knowing how they utilize pulling the LG on counters and how athletic Shoff is it would be pretty intimidating having a 330 pound bulldozer kicking out an OLB or God forbid a DB. Anyhow sorry to start a rumor that may not be even considered.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
            "Anyhow, back to spring football - Was the plan to move Schoff to left guard? I would think they'd keep him at right guard because that is where the Jacks usually put a big guy like him for run blocking. Just curious about the left guard move. I hadn't heard about that."

I didn't mean to imply that was going to happen, just thought it might. Knowing how they utilize pulling the LG on counters and how athletic Shoff is it would be pretty intimidating having a 330 pound bulldozer kicking out an OLB or God forbid a DB. Anyhow sorry to start a rumor that may not be even considered.
            Who knows at this point in time, the OL is pretty wide open so moves like you suggested might happen.

Comment

Originally posted by happyjack View Post
              Is DeHaven okay with this? I think a better question would be: Will the track team get him back if he has success with the football team? My observation has been DeHaven and the track and field program are willing to work/share with the football team but the willingness to share is not always returned.
              JeRyan Butler ran in the 100 m dash and triple jumped this past weekend meet at Nebraska.

Comment

Did anyone watch the scrimmage on Saturday? The amount of fan support of SDSU football on here is lacking. Get excited! I know it's only Spring football ball but give us some info.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
                  Did anyone watch the scrimmage on Saturday? The amount of fan support of SDSU football on here is lacking. Get excited! I know it's only Spring football ball but give us some info.
                  You didn't drive in for the scrimmage?

Comment

I didn't make it to the scrimmage. I'd also love to hear a report from someone who was there. How did the backup QB look? Any surprises on the O-line or D-line?
                    This space for lease.

Comment

I may have misinterpreted Hareofthedog's post and made a tongue in cheek reply. But, Jacked_Up's post raises the same question. As noted in post #3 of this thread, the spring game is set for 11:00 a.m. April 26 -- that's two Saturdays away. If there was a separate scrimmage of some sort yesterday, April 12, it hasn't received any attention. I note from another thread that JeRyan Butler, the standout defensive back, was running in a track meet at the U of Nebraska Saturday.
                      Last edited by JackJD; 04-13-2014, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Sorry, I understand now that the spring game is nearly two weeks away. Yesterday was just some sort of scrimmage in practice. Carry on!
                        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
                          ... The amount of fan support of SDSU football on here is lacking....
                          I respectfully disagree. I think the fan support is very strong and unwavering. Not every school approaches spring practice the same as Nebraska or Georgia (both examples of schools at which the spring game was televised). Personally, I just hope we get through spring ball without injuries but that never seems to be the case.

Comment

Here's a link to Terry Vandrovec's report on a scrimmage Saturday: http://www.argusleader.com/story/ter...ril14/7681431/

Comment

TV reports today "It's clear there's a learning curve for touted junior college offensive lineman Travis Zimmerman. Plus, he can still stand to add some weight. To the naked eye he's one of the lightest non-freshmen at that position." - This doesn't surprise me for offensive linemen. There is a lot to learn and a lot of weight room work plus nutrition for O-linemen. It is pretty tough for a juco to make that up. I don't think the Jacks have had a successful O-line juco transfer yet. But I hope Zimmerman because the first one to succeed. The Jacks need players and depth on the O-line.

Sounds like there are a bunch of RB's and WR's fighting to get on the field. Awesome to have an abundance of skill position players. I am confident the O-line will step up. The Jacks could have one of the toughest offenses in the conference.

I also will state early that Langer gaining the additional weight will be one of the major reasons for the Jacks to rise in the conference. They desperately needed an anchor in the middle of the D-line to stop the other teams running game. 285 lbs. for a college D tackle with Langer's speed is sweet.

Comment

Has anybody been watching the jackrabbit Insiders on the top 10 running backs and quarterbacks. It is making me jones for some football. I also wish they would have the position reports like last year seems like there is a lot less out about our jacks this year.
                                Last edited by sdsu_drake; 04-17-2014, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X