Spring Ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Ball

Can someone tell me the date when Spring Ball starts? Plus do we have the date of the Spring Game?

Spring is finally in the air today. Thus it leads my mind to thoughts of Jackrabbit football.

I for one am very interested in watching the position battles for the O-line this spring. We lost a lot of talented Seniors in this position group. I'm particularly interested in watching the left tackle battle. Is this the first year in nine years that the Rabbits don't have an obvious starter at left tackle? With the skill positions loaded on offense, we need the line to step up big time.

Defense battles will be fun to watch too. Who will step up on Defense? Who do you guys think?

I think this is the year the Jacks will win the Valley.

Go Jacks.

Re: Spring Ball

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
    Can someone tell me the date when Spring Ball starts? Plus do we have the date of the Spring Game?

Spring is finally in the air today. Thus it leads my mind to thoughts of Jackrabbit football.

I for one am very interested in watching the position battles for the O-line this spring. We lost a lot of talented Seniors in this position group. I'm particularly interested in watching the left tackle battle. Is this the first year in nine years that the Rabbits don't have an obvious starter at left tackle? With the skill positions loaded on offense, we need the line to step up big time.

Defense battles will be fun to watch too. Who will step up on Defense? Who do you guys think?

I think this is the year the Jacks will win the Valley.

Go Jacks.
    Not sure when exactly practice starts, but the spring game is April 26th. Hopefully there's no snow on the ground by then...

Comment

Here is the proposed Spring practice schedule:

Following is a completespring practice schedule — all weekday practices begin at 4 p.m.:
      March 28 • no pads
      March 29 • no pads (11a.m.)
      March 31 • full pads
      April 2 • full pads
      April 4 • half pads
      April 5 • scrimmage (11a.m.)
      April 7 • full pads
      April 9 • full pads
      April 11 • half pads
      April 12 • scrimmage (11a.m.)
      April 14 • half pads
      April 16 • full pads
      April 21 • full pads
      April 23 • half pads
      April 25 • makeuppractice day
      April 26 • Spring Game(11 a.m.)

GB, GB, GJ!

Comment

Saw the football squad out there practicing today as we left the basketball game. Part of me wanted to stop and watch for a time, but figured I better get on the road and get my daughter home at a descent hour.
        The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Photos from today's practice on the team Facebook page...https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3416220&type=1

Comment

Today was the first practice with pads, the facebook link in the previous post updates with more pictures after most practices...just a fyi.
            Last edited by BigGoosie13; 04-03-2014, 05:11 PM.

Comment

TV tweeted that SDSU trackster Jeremiah Ary is out for the football team as a DB, he is a sprinter and jumper on the track team....http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=205820704

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
                TV tweeted that SDSU trackster Jeremiah Ary is out for the football team as a DB, he is a sprinter and jumper on the track team....http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=205820704
                Is De Haven okay with this? The guy has done well in the long jump.

Comment

Is DeHaven okay with this? I think a better question would be: Will the track team get him back if he has success with the football team? My observation has been DeHaven and the track and field program are willing to work/share with the football team but the willingness to share is not always returned.

Comment

Originally posted by happyjack View Post
                    Is DeHaven okay with this? I think a better question would be: Will the track team get him back if he has success with the football team? My observation has been DeHaven and the track and field program are willing to work/share with the football team but the willingness to share is not always returned.
                    When the track team starts winning I'd worry about it .... ok not to start a war against track, I like track a lot. Just joking.

But the athlete has a much better chance to get a larger scholarship playing football vs. running track. I'd think the $$$ and fame of football would naturally attract the track athlete to football.

Who are we seeing as the first team D-line? First team O-line?

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                      When the track team starts winning I'd worry about it .... ok not to start a war against track, I like track a lot. Just joking.

But the athlete has a much better chance to get a larger scholarship playing football vs. running track. I'd think the $$$ and fame of football would naturally attract the track athlete to football.

Who are we seeing as the first team D-line? First team O-line?
                      Keep in mind there are several members of the track team who have elected to take a red-shirt year so that they can take advantage of the new facility coming on line. And, think about the facilities disadvantage our track teams have had to deal with. Watch what happens when the 300m indoor track is ready.

I think one can easily support the following statement: the best athlete on campus right now, based on performance on a national level, is a track and cross country runner.

Okay, back to spring ball.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                        Keep in mind there are several members of the track team who have elected to take a red-shirt year so that they can take advantage of the new facility coming on line. And, think about the facilities disadvantage our track teams have had to deal with. Watch what happens when the 300m indoor track is ready.

I think one can easily support the following statement: the best athlete on campus right now, based on performance on a national level, is a track and cross country runner.

I put the joking in the wrong spot because I am a true track fan. I love track and field. Thanks for the info about the facilities. Even Big Ten teams let Track and Field compete with the football team. It was also cool to see that the baseball team beat the Gophers.

Back to spring ball - Was Carr 6' - 8" when the Jacks recruited him or did he grow? It is nice that he is up to 300 lbs. The Jacks love tall left tackles. They have a different philosophy vs. most teams who put their tall guys at right tackle. As per TV, it seems we may be set up at left tackle once again. Give credit to Stig to always filling this important position. It sounds like the O - line is coming together once again. This doesn't surprise me in the least.

Any word yet on what is happening with the D line aside from the development of Langer?

I see a chance for a great football team coming in the future.

I'm curious to see if the offense finally can beat the defense in the spring game.

Comment

Carr came in 6'8" 280, excited to see him work. Is Shoff on schedule and does he stay at RG or move to LG?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

Sharing JD's sentiments here, I'd be a little careful to disparage what has been over the history of SDSU a pretty strong track-and-field and cross-country legacy. Some incredible athletes have attended SDSU (including JD) and participated in track and cross country (including perhaps the best all-around athlete ever to attend the school in any era, footballer-basketball player-shotputter Clyde Hagen) http://www.sdshof.com/inductees/clyde-hagen/ and http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=899967 Nine letters in an era in which freshmen could not letter. One of last two-way players for Jacks. Pretty impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                              Sharing JD's sentiments here, I'd be a little careful to disparage what has been over the history of SDSU a pretty strong track-and-field and cross-country legacy. Some incredible athletes have attended SDSU (including JD) and participated in track and cross country (including perhaps the best all-around athlete ever to attend the school in any era, footballer-basketball player-shotputter Clyde Hagen) http://www.sdshof.com/inductees/clyde-hagen/ and http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=899967 Nine letters in an era in which freshmen could not letter. One of last two-way players for Jacks. Pretty impressive.
                              Thank you for the information. No way I meant to disparage SDSU track. It just came off wrong, my fault. I was a mediocre 440 yard runner myself in my HS days, so I understand track and field. It is by far the sport where you get the most nervous before performing. I remember dreading running the 440 all day in class because, well you'd know if you ever ran one. I appreciate great track athletes because I know how difficult it is. Sorry again...

Anyhow, back to spring football - Was the plan to move Schoff to left guard? I would think they'd keep him at right guard because that is where the Jacks usually put a big guy like him for run blocking. Just curious about the left guard move. I hadn't heard about that.

I really miss the spring ball updates we used to get several years ago. Wasn't it Hartley that would provide them?

Comment

Working...
                              X