Summit tourney, 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Summit tourney, 2015

Too bad ORU couldn't pull that one out. They were running on fumes at the end of the game (particularly Omegano) and wouldn't have been very fresh tomorrow.

BTW. Where did all that parity go? #1 vs. #2 in both finals.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      Rumor in the Denny is that they are pro musicians hired by ORU to be their pep band.
      That is no rumor. Lots of local talent. $125 per game.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
        That means the men's combined session record has been broken with the championship game yet to be played.

The 2015 tourney so far is about 1200 short of the total record with both championship games yet to be played.
        Also worth chewing on:

In 2014, the Valley tournament drew 57,520 combined to 10 sessions (men's and women's).

The Summit Tournament is going to eclipse that attendance total in 8 sessions.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Summit Tournament outdraws "Arch Madness" this year, if not in total then definitely in a per-session average.

Comment

Rumor in the Denny is that they are pro musicians hired by ORU to be their pep band.
          You mean all those 40 year old guys aren't actually undergrad college pep band?
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            You mean all those 40 year old guys aren't actually undergrad college pep band?
            Could be non-trads, you know.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
              Also worth chewing on:

In 2014, the Valley tournament drew 57,520 combined to 10 sessions (men's and women's).

The Summit Tournament is going to eclipse that attendance total in 8 sessions.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Summit Tournament outdraws "Arch Madness" this year, if not in total then definitely in a per-session average.

This tournament could very well raise eyebrows which have not already been raised regarding the Summit League (and, specifically, SDSU's fan support). What this means going forward, I have no idea. But it is not a bad thing.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Is that their pep band name. Jim and the non trads.....
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

This tournament could very well raise eyebrows which have not already been raised regarding the Summit League (and, specifically, SDSU's fan support). What this means going forward, I have no idea. But it is not a bad thing.
                  Tournaments likely to outdraw the Summit (M&W):

Big Ten
                  Big Twelve
                  Big East
                  Pac 12
                  SEC
                  ACC
                  Mountain West

And yes, we all know whose fans are driving attendance at this tournament.

The idea that the 8th best attended conference tournament in the country is in a city with a metro of 250k is just ridiculous.

Comment

I know the "local" guys playing in the Oral Roberts pep band, great musicians. One of the trombone players was Jon Hegg of the Hegg Brothers who those of you from Sioux Falls know who they are. ORU hired local talent every Summit tournament they've been here.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                      Too bad ORU couldn't pull that one out. They were running on fumes at the end of the game (particularly Omegano) and wouldn't have been very fresh tomorrow.

BTW. Where did all that parity go? #1 vs. #2 in both finals.
                      when was the last time a non fav won the summit? theres always big upsets in other tourneys, but for some reason not the summit.

as for the game, im predicting sdsu. just being objective. we'll have to play a complete game and have more than 2 players play well to win imo.

Comment

I think the top seed has won every year except the first year SDSU won when we beat WIU. The women's side has been the opposite. The top seed has lost more than they've won I believe.

Comment

love Stu Whitney downplaying last nights game in the argus. i think it would have been different if usd had won. how many other tournaments have schools paying local students to cheer for them (wiu) (oakland free t shirts), local musicians to play for them (oru)?

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                            love Stu Whitney downplaying last nights game in the argus. i think it would have been different if usd had won. how many other tournaments have schools paying local students to cheer for them (wiu) (oakland free t shirts), local musicians to play for them (oru)?
                            Judging by the attendance at the other Mid-major tourneys on ESPN I would say not many. Even though there are the Duke and Carolina fans who live in Fargo and are "diehard", yet have never seen them play live. Maybe these SD kids just really wanted to be WIU fans.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUSmitty View Post
                              I know the "local" guys playing in the Oral Roberts pep band, great musicians. One of the trombone players was Jon Hegg of the Hegg Brothers who those of you from Sioux Falls know who they are. ORU hired local talent every Summit tournament they've been here.
                              Yah. I forgot the /sarcasm tag.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Maybe ORU should have shelled out the dough to have "Spooncat!" be the official ORU band. LOL
                                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
                                X