Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2015 Recruiting List

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    And the Cole Brodie scholarship (not a real thing) goes to Shakial Taylor.

@jason247scout: 2015 CB Shakial Taylor from Scottsdale Chaparral committed to South Dakota State on his visit this weekend
    One of my friends has a son whose good friend is an assiatnt coach down there and I asked him about Shakial. I guess the kid has been to hell and back in his personal life and turned out good despite all odds, so you have to admire that. Fast kid, not real big, but does what he's asked to do. Sounds like a good get for the Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
      @jason247scout: 2015 OT Jeremiah Szafranski from Glendale Az. CC was offered by South Dakota State today. He prepped at Shadow Mountain.

Another late offer, this one from a JUCO.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1581797/jeremiah-szafranski
      Not surprised they feel need to add some experienced depth offensive line.

Comment

Is it me or are the Jacks getting a quality of athlete they weren't getting even five years ago? Might be awfully salty awfully fast, and does anyone have insight into whether the impression is correct, and if so, why that is? Where does the rep come from? Stig? Coaching staff? New facilities?

Comment

Nothing other than a guess but I'd agree with you, NoVaJack. If we're landing a greater percentage of these guys, I'd guess the facilities are tipping the scales.

Comment

In two years when the stadium is complete State will have one of the top facilities in the nation for FCS. That's going to help recruiting tremendously. The kids they're recruiting now to sign in February of 2016 will play in it their freshman season.
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              Nothing other than a guess but I'd agree with you, NoVaJack. If we're landing a greater percentage of these guys, I'd guess the facilities are tipping the scales.
              Winning and making the playoffs on a regular basis has got to be a big attraction, too.
              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                Winning and making the playoffs on a regular basis has got to be a big attraction, too.
                I agree with this. I know facilities help, but I don't think that they are as impactful in recruiting as one might think. There are many other factors that go into an athlete committing: the majors offered, coaching staff, distance from home, and feel of the campus. Most of all, I believe that winning is key. Kids will commit anywhere if they know the program is dominate regardless of facilities. I'm not trying to undersell what SDSU has accomplished on the facilities front. In fact, I love all of the energy around campus with the new additions. I'm just trying to point out that new facilities aren't the sole reason for better recruits IMO.
                "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
                  I agree with this. I know facilities help, but I don't think that they are as impactful in recruiting as one might think. There are many other factors that go into an athlete committing: the majors offered, coaching staff, distance from home, and feel of the campus. Most of all, I believe that winning is key. Kids will commit anywhere if they know the program is dominate regardless of facilities. I'm not trying to undersell what SDSU has accomplished on the facilities front. In fact, I love all of the energy around campus with the new additions. I'm just trying to point out that new facilities aren't the sole reason for better recruits IMO.
                  You are so right. Just read a small article today about how hopeless UConn was when Gino took over, no facility's and no desire to pump money into hopelessness. He swallowed his pride somewhat and recruited tirelessly, and knew the type recruits he needed to change the culture. He practically begged Rebecca Lobo to commit there. That was the jump start he needed ,and he never looked back. He's begging no more. Kind of come away thinking he's earned some respect for how much work he put into building up that program. The whole is nothing more than the product of the sum of the pieces. Trust in the program, knowing that players and coaching staff will do all they can to help each other succeed is a very important aspect . Coaches, and other things too, are a big part also.

Facility's do help however, and the support of the University in that regard cannot be appreciated enough. Sorry about putting WBB into football thread, but did so to reinforce the principle thought expressed,through use of example.
                  Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-19-2015, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post

No disagreement from me but I think facilities was the piece of the puzzle not in place in the past...getting remedied now and may be just enough to tip a couple of top recruits our way.

Comment

Interesting discussion. I agree with those who cite the improvement in facilities, because even Justin Sell said in a meeting that during his interview, he looked at CAS and thought to himself "I cant do this", but somehow he found the courage to hang on and take the job. CAS has been a disaster since day one. At the first game in 1962 which I attended, the seating on the west side was fine, but the seating on the east was not even in existence. I do appreciate Jackfordays comments about academics.
                      Last edited by Nidaros; 04-20-2015, 06:54 AM.

Comment

It's been awhile since I last posted. I believe the last time I posted was before ZZ arrived at SDSU, and I posted about him being a freak athlete and SDSU getting a steal...well, that turned out pretty well!

Just wanted to give an update on the latest Zenner to be heading westward this fall. As much as I tried to talk Zach into running track at Eagan High School, I was never successful. But this year little brother Sam decided to drop baseball in favor of track. Long story short, he's a stud. Last night, albeit helped by a nice tailwind, but battling 45 degree temps, Sam opened the season running 10.68 in the 100m dash! Great kid, great family, smart, respectful, and ultra competitive. I don't want to make any predictions about his potential success at SDSU for football, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he ended up being another great back for the Jacks!

Comment

We're looking forward to Sam wearing blue and yellow. That's an impressive 100 time, and taking into account the season is relatively early and cool temps...wow!
                          Thanks for the report.

Comment

Interesting answers, glad I asked. Am a little surprised that Stig isn't given more credit on this front. I get a feeling the last two classes were top-notch, maybe the best, or am I overstating. Others on here know more of the ins and outs of the recruiting.

Comment

Originally posted by RunGopherRun View Post
                              I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he ended up being another great back for the Jacks!
                              Great to hear, he looks the part on tape. I think the best use of his abilities would be to red shirt him due to the stable of backs we have now. Anyone disagree?

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                                Great to hear, he looks the part on tape. I think the best use of his abilities would be to red shirt him due to the stable of backs we have now. Anyone disagree?
                                Unless there are injuries there's a 100% chance he red shirts. Unless he finds some place on special teams of course. It just won't be RB.
                                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                                X