Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2014 Season Tickets and schedule

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    What are they supposed to do? Take an opposing AD hostage until they agree? "Flat unacceptable" doesn't work. Sometimes things don't work out the way you want them to. Saying something is "unacceptable" doesn't change the fact that we couldn't do any better. Sometimes that happens.
    Exactly. Scheduling requires two parties to agree within a very limited framework of options. How much can SDSU spend to attract a game without being fiscally irresponsible? Are there open dates for potential opponents? Do they match up? Does the opponent want to come and take a beating in the first place? Which schools are actually on the market for payout games? Which ones want home-and-home deals? It's not an unlimited pool of options to begin with and once you start adding in all of the variables, it becomes an almost impossible puzzle to solve, even with months to make it happen.

A little context: NDSU is paying Incarnate Word $190,000 to come to Fargo to take a beating. How many Incarnate Words are out there looking for a pay day, and is it responsible to spend that money anyway?
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      I suppose the argument could be made that UNL's two games with SDSU were money grabbers for UNL. Its weird that no one was complaining about money grabbing when we scheduled Missouri this coming fall. Maybe Oshkosh sees it that way for their program.

I not happy with the D3 choice, but it better than playing no one. I think all the possible revenue raised between now and 2024 are crucial for building the stadium. If we had the new facility in place, I don't think we would be playing at this level of competition. Justin did say this game was a last resort in terms of choices. Also if you think scheduling is easy, go talk to the man who does that, Rob Peterson. I have sat a the same table at Difference Makers, and he has mentioned more than once that a number of FCS teams do not want to come to SD to play a football game, even for a money grabbing amount of $50,000. It's just that plain and simple.

We need to remember Lacrosse another common opponent with Oskosh. Seems like that game did not come out to our expectations.
      Yep.I bet if you sat across from members of our mens bb staff,you would get the same response. Scheduling decent D1 /FCS home games have become an almost impossible task.

Comment

I'd rather they scheduled a road 'counter' than a home game that means absolutely nothing.
        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
          I'd rather they scheduled a road 'counter' than a home game that means absolutely nothing.
          I agree 100%

Comment

Unacceptable, sounds like BIZON TALK

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
              So how do you view it?

How does playing a D3 school really help our program other than the automatic $ that is generated from season ticket holders? Isn't this the equivalent of what an NFL preseason game is to their season ticket holders?

This just doesn't sit well with me.

And I can't tip over anymore. I still haven't gotten back up from the Austin Hansen news!
              Here's how I view it. I know for a fact and knew earlier as I indicated, that a sixth game would happen, but I also knew nobody would be happy about the circumstances and the opponent. So I will put it up to you TK, would you have preferred two open dates in September and no games, either home or away? That's what the department faced this year (and coming years may present the same challenge). They simply could not find an option. In fact, the away game was strongly considered, and in fact an offer was made to a lower FCS opponent, a logical one in fact, and an offer was made to play there and then get a home game next year. When that didn't fly, an offer was made to do a 2 for 1 (the opposite way we would want it) and go out of town for two years, for one home game. That didn't work out either, and the department was left with no other options but a D-III opponent.

As far as the argument about the fact that a D-III way will hurt our chances, I would counter with the fact that if we had gone with 11 games and two open dates, we wouldn't have been any better off without a D-III win on win-loss columns. And so I believe the desire to have a sixth home game was anything but a money-grab as some indicated...we will be lucky to break even on it. If you bought season tickets, just consider it a bonus Saturday to tailgate where you can complain about the scheduling.

Get used to it gang...the options are getting tougher. Weaker FCS teams are playing the same cards that stronger FCS teams have played with FBS teams...they want money, lots of it, to come to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                In fact, the away game was strongly considered, and in fact an offer was made to a lower FCS opponent, a logical one in fact, and an offer was made to play there and then get a home game next year. When that didn't fly, an offer was made to do a 2 for 1 (the opposite way we would want it) and go out of town for two years, for one home game.
                I was just going to ask a question on the grounds of this statement. As a fanbase would you rather have a DIII non-counter to complete the home slate for 6 games, or a road game on the front side of a home and home series thus having another home game in your back pocket for future years?

But it sounds like the question might be moot as apparently the options and avenues were considered.
                "No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child"

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                  Okay, so the team flies out to Southern Utah for 9/13 game, returns home and flies back out the next week to another distant destination. That is a recipe for an ass-whooping.

The 9/27 date had to be the bye week, as that leads into our conference schedule, and 8 straight weeks of games.
                  LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
                    OshKosh my gosh
                    Better than William Penn.
                    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

• Re: 2014 Season Tickets and schedule

I'm not happy about having to play DIII Osh Kosh.

I am happy we have 6 home games.

I am NOT happy that Hobo Day is the same day as the State CC Meet again. (I realize that's a personal problem, but I don't like it)

As for the schedule...this is where the team is as a program. The Jackrabbits too good to get schools to come in and "take a beating" unless we are willing to pay through the nose.

It's going to be difficult to find teams that are willing to come the Brookings, take an obvious beat down, and then go home. We've got Cal Poly and SUU...those are two I can think of. There's not alot of them out there. Maybe they kind find someone from the Big Sky. But it's not going to be easy to get a team to come visit the Jackrabbits.

Comment

Originally posted by KI DRIVER View Post
                        oshkosh was pretty good last year, i know that doesn't mean anything this year but SDSU has nothing to gain (except money) and everything to lose playing oshkosh. if the jacks lose this one, the season might be over.
                        Jacks lose this game, careers will be over and not talking about Stig. Ouch... I mean C'mon. What a step back for the Program. I'm trying to come up with a positive spin on this and just can't see one. Let's hope it doesn't rain and turn the field to mud and have any reminder of the game not to be mentioned. I guess if the Jack's survived that early loss, they can survive anything.

I had tremendous respect for the Administration up to this point. Now I'm taken aback.

I guess crush them and put it behind us ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          I suppose the argument could be made that UNL's two games with SDSU were money grabbers for UNL. Its weird that no one was complaining about money grabbing when we scheduled Missouri this coming fall. Maybe Oshkosh sees it that way for their program.

I not happy with the D3 choice, but it better than playing no one. I think all the possible revenue raised between now and 2024 are crucial for building the stadium. If we had the new facility in place, I don't think we would be playing at this level of competition. Justin did say this game was a last resort in terms of choices. Also if you think scheduling is easy, go talk to the man who does that, Rob Peterson. I have sat a the same table at Difference Makers, and he has mentioned more than once that a number of FCS teams do not want to come to SD to play a football game, even for a money grabbing amount of $50,000. It's just that plain and simple.

We need to remember Lacrosse another common opponent with Oskosh. Seems like that game did not come out to our expectations.
                          Seriously??????? You've been around here long enough to know. We DO NOT talk about that game. Just kidding, I agree with you. We need a game for the win and the revenue and either couldn't entice a higher level team or couldn't afford to entice a higher level team. Stadiums cost money and games bring in money.
                          One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

I am trying to spin it like its an exhibition game. That its not really important as the game goes, but at the same time I get to watch my jacks probably get more guys some really great game time for the bench. I figured we would be more in a home and home deal with a good team, or get a butler like game again. as good as the home schedule last year was this year is just the opposite.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              I am trying to spin it like its an exhibition game. That its not really important as the game goes, but at the same time I get to watch my jacks probably get more guys some really great game time for the bench. I figured we would be more in a home and home deal with a good team, or get a butler like game again. as good as the home schedule last year was this year is just the opposite.
                              True that about an exhibition. Play the starters a few series and get the lead and let the back ups develop. The back ups love to play too and will probably whoop up on Oshkosh even more than the starters. Their time to shine.

I wonder what the weight differential will be between the two programs offensive lines. One complete player's weight?

Wisconsin only has UW hand out scholarships. So Wisconsin's DIII programs are equivalent to a lot of D II programs. I know, grasping at straws here. I mean they couldn't get U of MN Duluth or Minnesota State Mankato on the schedule? I'm trying to be positive here people...

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                                True that about an exhibition. Play the starters a few series and get the lead and let the back ups develop. The back ups love to play too and will probably whoop up on Oshkosh even more than the starters. Their time to shine.

I wonder what the weight differential will be between the two programs offensive lines. One complete player's weight?

Wisconsin only has UW hand out scholarships. So Wisconsin's DIII programs are equivalent to a lot of D II programs. I know, grasping at straws here. I mean they couldn't get U of MN Duluth or Minnesota State Mankato on the schedule? I'm trying to be positive here people...
                                MN-Duluth and MS-Mankato are both Northern Sun members who have no room for a non conference opponents. If they did have room, they might have taken us on.

Comment

Working...
                                X