2014 Season Tickets and schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2014 Season Tickets and schedule

They were planning on a 6th game and charged for that ahead of the schedule coming out.

*as I think about this is my assumption.

Comment

That would make sense because butler was added after the schedule was released. I guess I just remembered them adding it and then paying a little extra for it.

Comment

Okay, I checked my ticket-buying history as well as a file my wife maintained which included correspondence on ticket information from the past several seasons. Comparing last season with the upcoming season: For the 2013 season, the information sent out (no mention of a sixth game) said tickets were $110 each but that was later (after the mailing) increased to $130 per seat when the sixth game was added. This year, for the 2014 season, the information received showed $140 per ticket and there's no mention of a sixth game. I purchased four tickets in Section E.

I don't have a recollection of when I was told the ticket price for the 2013 season was going up $20 per ticket because a sixth game was added. It appears from my handwritten notes on the 2013-season ticket information that the notice of the sixth game and the $20 ticket increase was announced prior to the date I purchased tickets. I made a handwritten note that the cost increased to $130 per ticket. This season, there was no announcement prior to the April 18 purchase deadline (to lock in the same seats). I paid for four tickets at the rate of $140 per ticket.

It appears from the information I have comparing last season with this season, that there was added to the cost in 2013, $20 per ticket for the sixth game.

I suppose if that happens this year, I'll pay the extra $20 per ticket but maybe I'll grumble a little. For me, it's still a bargain for the amount of enjoyment I get out of attending games at SDSU and seeing all the smiling faces of my fellow SDSUFans.com posters.

Comment

So you all want better competition and better facilities, but want to pay the same price year after year? It all seems like a good entertainment value to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
            So you all want better competition and better facilities, but want to pay the same price year after year? It all seems like a good entertainment value to me.

I don't think D3 Oshkosh qualifies as "better competition".

Most wanted a 6th home game against a counter since we play such a brutal conference schedule every year. This is not that. It's a money grab by SDSU, plain and simple, regardless of whether it was built into the price of the season ticket or not.

Comment

This year's team will now have to possibly be the best in school history in order to just qualify for the playoffs. Winning 8 of the 10 "real" games would be a tall order even if we were not replacing nearly the entire O and D lines. It can be done, but there won't be much room for the growing pains expected with the changes on the lines. If we can get 8 "counter" wins, we'll certainly be a legit contender for a deep playoff run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

For the future, I think the solution to such scheduling difficulties can be found within the MVFC. This season we play Illinois State; Missouri State; UNI; Youngstown State; NDSU; Indiana State; Western Illinois; and USD.

We aren't playing Southern Illinois.

Southern Illinois is playing only 11 games this season.

USD found itself in a similar predicament. USD was looking for a sixth home game. They had to settle for NAIA William Penn. USD is not playing Indiana State. Indiana State has 11 games.

Seems like there's a solution out there.

Comment

You dont need to win 8, they changed that rule.

LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                    I don't think D3 Oshkosh qualifies as "better competition".

Most wanted a 6th home game against a counter since we play such a brutal conference schedule every year. This is not that. It's a money grab by SDSU, plain and simple, regardless of whether it was built into the price of the season ticket or not.
                    Now, TK, you're tipping again! 2002Jack didn't mean Oshkosh was better competition -- he was clearly referring to everyone wanting better competition and better facilities and noting that there's a price to be paid to reach better competition and better facilities--we're investing now (e.g. adding a sixth home game) so that we can have a shot at better competition and pay for the better facilities, some of which are coming on line in the near future.

Your use of the words "money grab by SDSU" is unfair. Who's writing some of your posts, one of the screamers on TV known for strident language intended to just stir up trouble? Improving SDSU athletics requires more money. For example, we need to hire coaches and pay our coaches better. The future of our facilities is bright but we have a lot of areas with a need for money.

I agree with 2002Jack's comments: its a good entertainment value to me, too.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                      You dont need to win 8, they changed that rule.

Yes, but a sure thing in the playoffs is 8 D1 wins. If we're 8-4 with a D3 win, we're on the bubble. Youngstown had 8 "D1" wins last year and was left out of the playoffs. I say "D1" because their non-con was horrendous with non-scholly D1s.

The fact of the matter is that getting to 8 D1 wins will be difficult this year with only 10 FCS games.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

Your use of the words "money grab by SDSU" is unfair. Who's writing some of your posts, one of the screamers on TV known for strident language intended to just stir up trouble? Improving SDSU athletics requires more money. For example, we need to hire coaches and pay our coaches better. The future of our facilities is bright but we have a lot of areas with a need for money.
                        So how do you view it?

How does playing a D3 school really help our program other than the automatic $ that is generated from season ticket holders? Isn't this the equivalent of what an NFL preseason game is to their season ticket holders?

This just doesn't sit well with me.

And I can't tip over anymore. I still haven't gotten back up from the Austin Hansen news!

Comment

Serious question to anyone who is mad about Oshkosh: What is the administration supposed to do? Obviously they tried to get an FCS and even a D2 game. Last year they paid a small fortune ($185,000, I think) for the Butler game and I'm sure they tried again to pay some team to come in and take a beating. Is it better not to have a sixth game or to have a lower division sixth game? I vote for the latter. The presumption seems to be that somehow, magically, there was a middling FCS team out there that wanted to come to Brookings and get crushed. Obviously, there wasn't any such team. This was what they could get.

Obviously, very few teams want to come to Brookings and take a loss no matter how much money you hang out there. It's a tough spot for the administration. The new stadium will help. More revenue means more potential cash to make an offer an FCS team can't refuse. In the meantime, I can't blame them for taking what they could get.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                            Serious question to anyone who is mad about Oshkosh: What is the administration supposed to do?

They are suppose to schedule a counter. Period. End of story. And if whoever is in charge of scheduling can't get that done in however many months they had...then that is just flat unacceptable.
                            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                              Now, TK, you're tipping again! 2002Jack didn't mean Oshkosh was better competition -- he was clearly referring to everyone wanting better competition and better facilities and noting that there's a price to be paid to reach better competition and better facilities--we're investing now (e.g. adding a sixth home game) so that we can have a shot at better competition and pay for the better facilities, some of which are coming on line in the near future.

I agree with 2002Jack's comments: its a good entertainment value to me, too.
                              I suppose the argument could be made that UNL's two games with SDSU were money grabbers for UNL. Its weird that no one was complaining about money grabbing when we scheduled Missouri this coming fall. Maybe Oshkosh sees it that way for their program.

I not happy with the D3 choice, but it better than playing no one. I think all the possible revenue raised between now and 2024 are crucial for building the stadium. If we had the new facility in place, I don't think we would be playing at this level of competition. Justin did say this game was a last resort in terms of choices. Also if you think scheduling is easy, go talk to the man who does that, Rob Peterson. I have sat a the same table at Difference Makers, and he has mentioned more than once that a number of FCS teams do not want to come to SD to play a football game, even for a money grabbing amount of $50,000. It's just that plain and simple.

We need to remember Lacrosse another common opponent with Oskosh. Seems like that game did not come out to our expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                                They are suppose to schedule a counter. Period. End of story. And if whoever is in charge of scheduling can't get that done in however many months they had...then that is just flat unacceptable.
                                What are they supposed to do? Take an opposing AD hostage until they agree? "Flat unacceptable" doesn't work. Sometimes things don't work out the way you want them to. Saying something is "unacceptable" doesn't change the fact that we couldn't do any better. Sometimes that happens.
                                Originally posted by JackFan96
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                                X