Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Season Tickets and schedule

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    MN-Duluth and MS-Mankato are both Northern Sun members who have no room for a non conference opponents. If they did have room, they might have taken us on.
    - St John's has won a few National Championships too. Mankato has enough problems now deciding who is coach. I'm sure any D II school in Minnesota would relish the opportunity.

At least more money goes into the coffers. I think the fans will have fun watching the game. The challenge will be keeping the students in the stands. We may be down to the Band and half our Board posters by the third quarter! You know the 2cnd and 3rd string family members are circling this game on the schedule. Do you get Zenner 400 yards and then take him out? And why couldn't they get U W Whitewater? I think Whitewater had a lot better year last year.

In all seriousness, there is nothing wrong with getting the back ups playing time. They work hard too and deserve a reward. Playing a game is better than not playing a game at all. The biggest difference will be in speed and strength. The D I Jack players will be so much faster than the DIII players. Especially in the Defensive Backfields. The game that shall not be mentioned was entirely different circumstances. Jacks won't screw around letting Oshkosh in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
      So I will put it up to you TK, would you have preferred two open dates in September and no games, either home or away?
      We will have to agree to disagree.

I would have preferred either A.) No game or B.) Pay through the nose to pay a lower-level "counter" either on the road or in Brookings. Personally I see this as nothing short of poor planning by our athletic department.

Regarding the D3 game, here is how I see it:

Pros:
      1 - Automatic revenue generation through season ticket holder $.
      2 - Game experience for the backups (although this is not assured).

Cons:
      1 - Injuries. Any game we play we risk injuries. If it happens to a starter or a backup, that hurts us.
      2 - Potential field degradation due to rainy conditions that will have lasting effects throughout the season.
      3 - A loss would set our program back years.
      4 - Winning this game does absolutely nothing to help our playoff chances. We are expected to win. We've discussed at length how hard it is to reach the playoffs with the difficulty of our conference.

Why not "pay" to play a weak counter (on the road or at home) with the "forward thinking" that it increases our playoff chances which could result in additional revenue being generated from home playoff games?

I know this decision was made purely about the $, but it feels extremely short-sided.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
        We will have to agree to disagree.

I would have preferred either A.) No game or B.) Pay through the nose to pay a lower-level "counter" either on the road or in Brookings. Personally I see this as nothing short of poor planning by our athletic department.

Regarding the D3 game, here is how I see it:

Pros:
        1 - Automatic revenue generation through season ticket holder $.
        2 - Game experience for the backups (although this is not assured).

Cons:
        1 - Injuries. Any game we play we risk injuries. If it happens to a starter or a backup, that hurts us.
        2 - Potential field degradation due to rainy conditions that will have lasting effects throughout the season.
        3 - A loss would set our program back years.
        4 - Winning this game does absolutely nothing to help our playoff chances. We are expected to win. We've discussed at length how hard it is to reach the playoffs with the difficulty of our conference.

Why not "pay" to play a weak counter (on the road or at home) with the "forward thinking" that it increases our playoff chances which could result in additional revenue being generated from home playoff games?

I know this decision was made purely about the $, but it feels extremely short-sided.
        TK- It seems like from TV's story and from Jacks#1's comments they tried everything, even offering an away-home-away. I don't think this was anyone's ideal plan. I guess I'm in the boat that would rather have another home game. If we do make any money off of it, GREAT! It will be fun tailgating and catching up with friends who only make it to the beef bowl. However, I do recognize your concerns about injury and field conditions. Lets hope that these don't come to fruition!
        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

I had my jaw drop when I saw this, but after some cooling down if there were no other options, then its better to have a home game against somebody to bring in some $. We have a couple big time new facilities coming in and they need to be paid for. To not play or schedule this game for prides sake would be stupid IMHO. Its a game that there "should" be no chance in hell we should lose. If we do lose, we wont be winning 8/10 FCS games, so the hurting playoffs point is moot. It would be stupid to leave an extra open date when the option was there to fill it and provide some cash and experience for the backups after all avenues where exhausted. Because lets be honest, the reaction to an open slot wouldnt have been great either. We should roll them, but the UW's have DIII schools on par with a lot of DII's due to there being only one scholarship school in the state. Hopefully the boys slap them around early and coast it out. Definately dont want to be like the Husker crowd after we almost beat them the first time.

Comment

I thought this was interesting, from the OshKosh athletic page: "The last time UW-Oshkosh played such a highly affiliated opponent was Eastern Kentucky University in 1975."

http://www.uwoshkoshtitans.com/sport...20140423n4658e

Also, maybe not as interesting...I did a big double take at their website...at first I read it as "www.uwoshko****ans.com...."
            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
              Seriously??????? You've been around here long enough to know. We DO NOT talk about that game. Just kidding, I agree with you. We need a game for the win and the revenue and either couldn't entice a higher level team or couldn't afford to entice a higher level team. Stadiums cost money and games bring in money.
              I'm seriously wondering how much money this game will make. I'm sure some student and most reserved season tickets holders will show up but SDSU already has their money. Season ticket holders don't have to pay more because there is a 6th game on the schedule, right? They will make some on concessions so they wont lose but how many people will want to pay $20 to watch this type of game? I guess if you know somebody that is 2nd(some positions) or 3rd string this would be the game to show up to so maybe there will be a different type of crowd at this game. The weather will be good so it will be interesting to compare the attendance of this game to one in November(not USD). I suppose early season, nice weather, should win might bring more paying(at the gates) fans than I'm expecting but we'll see.
              I sure there is more to it than what I'm talking about here but for somebody that knows nothing about it, it will be interesting to see how much they actually make on a game like this.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                I'm seriously wondering how much money this game will make. I'm sure some student and most reserved season tickets holders will show up but SDSU already has their money. Season ticket holders don't have to pay more because there is a 6th game on the schedule, right? They will make some on concessions so they wont lose but how many people will want to pay $20 to watch this type of game? I guess if you know somebody that is 2nd(some positions) or 3rd string this would be the game to show up to so maybe there will be a different type of crowd at this game. The weather will be good so it will be interesting to compare the attendance of this game to one in November(not USD). I suppose early season, nice weather, should win might bring more paying(at the gates) fans than I'm expecting but we'll see.
                I sure there is more to it than what I'm talking about here but for somebody that knows nothing about it, it will be interesting to see how much they actually make on a game like this.
                It's Beef Bowl, so that will help.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                  Because it's the beef bowl we will be fine. Typically admissions holds Sr. Day, which draws a big crowd, the same time as the Beef Bowl.
                  Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Perhaps the AD made a mistake in even announcing the 6th game was finalized and then setting a specific time to make the announcement/release the schedule.

I think they should have not said a word. Slip the Sept 20 game on the schedule and quietly release it without telling anyone while waiting in the nearest closet for the ensuing crap-storm they had to know was coming.
                    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

My guess is SDSU exhausted all options trying to find a viable opponent and were left with either having a 6th home game vs a D3 school or no 6th home game and they decided to have a 6th home game. It's better for the fans and players to have a 6th home game, and plus the new facilities need to be paid for somehow. It's no big deal in my opinion.
                      "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                        My guess is SDSU exhausted all options trying to find a viable opponent and were left with either having a 6th home game vs a D3 school or no 6th home game and they decided to have a 6th home game. It's better for the fans and players to have a 6th home game, and plus the new facilities need to be paid for somehow. It's no big deal in my opinion.
                        Exactly - It would have been a big deal if this game would not have been scheduled and there would be a two week lay-off before conference play begins. I can only imagine the wailing and teeth-gnashing that would occur with a two week break and the team came out cold and loses to Missouri State. The people who are calling for AD personnel's heads now would then be calling for the same people's heads because the incompetent fools didn't schedule a cupcake tune-up game.

Comment

I don't see Justin Sell or Rob Peterson losing their jobs over this scheduling a D3, even if we lay an egg. If you are deep in the middle of building projects, it would kind of stupid to bring in some one new to be the major overseer.

Comment

I wonder about home playoff games for the next couple of years, with the starting of construction on the new stadium after the last game this year.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              I can only imagine the wailing and teeth-gnashing that would occur with a two week break and the team came out cold and loses to Missouri State.
                              Nah, we can lose to Missouri State just fine without a two week break prior to the game. See 2013.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/story/ter...edule/8135411/

TV has a good discussion of the scheduling process today.

Comment

Working...
                                X