Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coach Shannon Moore

Originally posted by DakJacks View Post
    Lets look at his five years as the Special Teams Coordinator and what they did:
    2009 – KOR - #1 in conference, #9 in FCS
    2010 – KO - #1 in conference, #1 in FCS in yards defended per return
    2011 – KO - #1 in conference, #1 in FCS in yards defended per return
    2012 – KO - #2 in conference, #11 in FCS in yards defended per return
    2013 – Punt – first time in 4 years a punt was not blocked and Sawyer was #3 in Net punting
    Sigh, I said I was done with this thread, but I cannot let those stats go unanswered.

All FCS Stats via ESPN.com. Make your own conclusions.

2009 – #43 in KOR yards, #19 in PR yards, #17 in Net punting yards
    2010 – #50 in KOR yards, #7 in PR yards, #20 in Net punting yards
    2011 – #68 in KOR yards, #74 in PR yards, #12 in Net punting yards
    2012 – #59 in KOR yards, #37 in PR yards, #66 in Net punting yards
    2013 – #92 in KOR yards, #7 in PR yards, #44 in Net punting yards

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
      Nick Saban brought Lane in specifically to run a more uptempo offense.
      That may be the case, but it is still Saban's playbook and "Alabama Offense". Lane will not get to do his own thing. None of Saban's offensive coordinators get to do that. That is one of theories as to why Nussmeir left for Michigan. Tired of Saban looking over his shoulder.

If I was Saban I would have hired Lane too......only because you get to be close to Layla every now and then!

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
        Sigh, I said I was done with this thread, but I cannot let those stats go unanswered.

All FCS Stats via ESPN.com. Make your own conclusions.

2009 – #43 in KOR yards, #19 in PR yards, #17 in Net punting yards
        2010 – #50 in KOR yards, #7 in PR yards, #20 in Net punting yards
        2011 – #68 in KOR yards, #74 in PR yards, #12 in Net punting yards
        2012 – #59 in KOR yards, #37 in PR yards, #66 in Net punting yards
        2013 – #92 in KOR yards, #7 in PR yards, #44 in Net punting yards
        Obviously the only conclusion that can be drawn is that any statistical category that is "good" should be credited to exceptional players, while any statistical category that is "bad" should be credited to poor coaching.

Here's a short but interesting article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worse-than-average_effect

Here's a longer, but maybe more interesting article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundame...ribution_error

As a nerd, it would be really interesting to have ESPN do some kind of show on these and how they relate to sports fandom.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

For those playing along at home:

Poster A: Do Not Like.
          Poster B: Like.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

(I may have confused the identities/positions of Posters A and B on this topic. Apologies. Or whatever.)
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

Lather, rinse, repeat.

(I may have confused the identities/positions of Posters A and B on this topic. Apologies. Or whatever.)
            Poster C: Switzerland.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              Obviously the only conclusion that can be drawn is that any statistical category that is "good" should be credited to exceptional players, while any statistical category that is "bad" should be credited to poor coaching.
              I am just trying to be RATIONAL, as directed. One cannot objectively review the situation without looking at the "entire body of work". A previous poster chose to list only the achievements in order to validate his position, which is typically how the debate process works, especially on a message board.

Note that I could have chosen to not include the punt return stats to bolster my position that I think he is a poor coach and needed to go.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                ...I'm done with this thread, for obvious reasons. Fin.
                Hmmm.(1)

(1) Things That Make You Go Hmmm. C+C Music Factory, 1991.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  Poster C: Switzerland.
                  I hate Switzerland! They are too spineless to have an opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                    Hmmm.(1)

(1) Things That Make You Go Hmmm. C+C Music Factory, 1991.
                    I tried, I really did.

And thanks for getting that atrocious song stuck in my head!

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I am going with poster B! I think! Or, is that poster A?

I guess you can put all the numbers and stats on it that you wish. You can make them look positive or negative - whichever point your trying to make.

All I know is that I think Coach Moore is an excellent coach? Apparantly someone else thought so as well. Movin on up to FBS. Coach Moore is an extremely likeable, positive person and I for one will miss him here at SDSU.

Best of luck Coach Moore, thank you for being a Jackrabbit and keep wearing that big smile.

GBGBGJ

Comment

I blame the person who created this thread...Oh, wait that was me. FAIL! or was it?

Comment

My only special teams gripe is why it took so long for JeRyan Butler to get back receiving punts. There were some painful moments early in the season last year where we would field punts that should have been let go and punts that should have been fielded were left to roll 20 yards into the wrong direction. The NDSU game comes to mind. We had to have lost close to 50 yards in field position that game due to poor punt returners. JeRyan came in and solved basically all of those problems while being a great playmaker. Should have been done sooner.
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                            I hate Switzerland! They are too spineless to have an opinion.
                            "Show me the MONEY!!! In un-numbered accounts."
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                              My only special teams gripe is why it took so long for JeRyan Butler to get back receiving punts. There were some painful moments early in the season last year where we would field punts that should have been let go and punts that should have been fielded were left to roll 20 yards into the wrong direction. The NDSU game comes to mind. We had to have lost close to 50 yards in field position that game due to poor punt returners. JeRyan came in and solved basically all of those problems while being a great playmaker. Should have been done sooner.
                              I'm going to blame Coach Moore for those punt return gaffes. I'm also going to give him credit for putting JeRyan back receiving punts.

Even-Steven

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                                I think its a good question why Butler wasn't back receiving punts earlier (although he did have nearly a 2/3 returns this year, leading me to think this could be a fan perception issue). Does the special teams coach get to pick whomever he wants on the team to fill that spot? Or do they get the leftovers after all the other coordinators have filled their rosters? JeRyan had some pretty hefty duties on the defensive unit, logically it might make sense to put a fresh body back instead of a guy who has just played 3-x number of downs sprinting/cutting. The years when the return squads were really shining was when Kool was back there. There wasn't really a spot for him anywhere else, so was he available for special teams by default? Tiefenthaler used to return kicks a lot, and I thought he did a nice job. This year, did his receiving duties keep him from being back there. I do not know how these things work.

I do think special teams would be a tough unit to coach. From a non-football mind, it seems like underclassmen and underutilized upperclassmen fill out many of the 11 spots on the field. Not making excuses as all teams deal with the same issues, just an observation.

Edit: realistically, very few posters on this or any forum really understand how these things work (including myself). I guess for the most part I lean on reserving judgement. Everybody else is entitled to their own opinion though.
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X