Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coach Shannon Moore

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    According to Wikipedia, a promotion is the advancement of an employee's rank or position in an organizational hierarchy system. Please explain how moving to a higher level while retaining the same title is anything other than a promotion??? You were saying something about being rational...

I did know FIU was 1-11 last year. Did you know it was Ron Turner's first year there, and FIU's first year in Conference USA? Did you know Illinois went 0-11 Ron Turner's first year there, and 4 years later won the Big 10? Turner has over 10 years of NFL coaching experience. I guess I'll defer to his judgement on what makes a quality Special Teams coach.
    I really expected nothing less from you in your reply. Par for the course for you.

You said it was a "HUGE" promotion for him.

First year in Conference USA coming from.......wait for it.....the mighty Sun Belt Conference. LOL'ing at your # of bowl teams comparison. How about you assign points to the value of the bowls those teams played in.

Ron Turner is such a great judge of talent, that his coaching trajectory that I recall has been Bears OC, Illinois Head Coach, FIU head coach. Obviously, he knows how to put people in key positions.

And.....might I ask.....how do you know Coach Moore was not told to look for work elsewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post

And.....might I ask.....how do you know Coach Moore was not told to look for work elsewhere?
      If coaches are let go , it happens after the season is over , not 3 weeks before signing day in the middle of prime recruiting season.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        If coaches are let go , it happens after the season is over , not 3 weeks before signing day in the middle of prime recruiting season.
        Maybe. Remember, this is SD - the state of 1-year coaching contracts. Coaches and teachers don't really need to be fired....their contract is simply not renewed.

Hypothetical: Coach Moore was told his contract was not going to be renewed, and to look for work elsewhere. He was then allowed to be "promoted" to save face and not make Stig look like the bad guy. I could be way off, as I do not know when coaching contracts are typically renewed. It would make sense to me that the football contracts are renewed sometime between the National Signing Day and Spring Ball, but that doesn't mean a coach wouldn't know his fate beforehand.

I'm really at a loss to think that some of our fanbase actually wanted Coach Moore back. Stunned to be honest.

Comment

Also, C-USA had 6 bowl teams this year (with two more garnering enough wins to be bowl eligible). They went 3-3.

The Big 10, for comparison, had 7 bowl teams this year. They went 2-5.

So ya, really crappy conference. I guess when you're a terrible coach, you take what you can get.
          worst.comparison.ever

Comment

I really expected nothing less from you in your reply. Par for the course for you.

You said it was a "HUGE" promotion for him.

First year in Conference USA coming from.......wait for it.....the mighty Sun Belt Conference. LOL'ing at your # of bowl teams comparison. How about you assign points to the value of the bowls those teams played in.

Ron Turner is such a great judge of talent, that his coaching trajectory that I recall has been Bears OC, Illinois Head Coach, FIU head coach. Obviously, he knows how to put people in key positions.

Just to sum up, a FCS forum poster knows more about hiring assistants than a coach who:

-Played college football
            -Has coached at the college and pro level since 1977
            -Was Big 10 coach of the year
            -Was OC in a Super Bowl
            -Currently leads an FBS program

A rational person would realize the absurdity of such a viewpoint...

I'm not saying Moore is the greatest coach in the history of football, but HIS career trajectory certainly suggests some decent ability.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Just to sum up, a FCS forum poster knows more about hiring assistants than a coach who:

-Played college football
              -Has coached at the college and pro level since 1977
              -Was Big 10 coach of the year
              -Was OC in a Super Bowl
              -Currently leads an FBS program

A rational person would realize the absurdity of such a viewpoint...

I'm not saying Moore is the greatest coach in the history of football, but HIS career trajectory certainly suggests some decent ability.
              I'm not going to get into the merits of this pissing match. If you want my opinion, PM me. Chances are no one will, because honestly, my opinion is worthless as a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest. However, the bolded cannot go without comment. People land jobs they shouldn't all the time.

Exhibit A - Every head coaching job Lane Kiffin has ever had.
              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                Exhibit A - Every head coaching job Lane Kiffin has ever had.
                And unfortunately, Nick Saban is going to make him look great again, and there will be another school out there that will make the same mistake by hiring Lane.

If you think about it, it's kind of like Ron Turner's offense looking good because he had one of the greatest defenses in Bears history. No, that can't be right. Ron was the OC of a Super Bowl team, which of course, means more than just being an OC in the NFL. Rex Grossman and Cedric Benson were offensive juggernauts that year! Man, glad I have someone here to continually straighten me out.

I'm done with this thread, for obvious reasons. Fin.

Comment

I was really hoping to get a chance to get into the discussion but was unable to which disappoints me. It was real interesting watching TK22867 do all of his talking. It made me realize that he talks a good game and really thinks he knows a lot about Coach Stig, Coach Moore, SDSU football, and even Ron Turner. It makes me feel like he played for him while he was at Illinois or Stanford or with the Bears, Bucs, or Colts. It was amazing how much he knows. But it really made me realize he doesn’t really know much about anything. I am not sure what I post is a know all, but I feel it has merit since I played for these coaches and was involved in the program lately.

I am not sure if this is a promotion or not but what I can tell you is that ask any coach around and their goal is to be at the FBS level. Is this a high profile job? I don’t know but name one assistant that has left SDSU for a high profile job at the FBS level. There isn’t one. Does Moore deserve this job I don’t know but when you look at what he has done here I think he has shown his ability. Coach Stig always gave us the team goals set out the previous year and since I was a special teams guy only I kept them. Lets look at his five years as the Special Teams Coordinator and what they did:

2009 - #1 combined Special Teams in conference
                  2010 - #1 combined Special Teams in conference
                  2011 – tied for 1st in combined Special Teams in conference
                  2012 – 3rd in combined Special Teams in conference
                  2013 – 3rd in combined Special Teams in conference (NOT SURE IF THIS IS RIGHT AS I WAS NOT PART OF PROGRAM)
                  Now contrary to what most believe, every coach only coaches one unit (the only other thing Moore did was set up the practice plan during practice – no scheme talk or anything – each coach did their own)
                  2009 – KOR - #1 in conference, #9 in FCS
                  2010 – KO - #1 in conference, #1 in FCS in yards defended per return
                  2011 – KO - #1 in conference, #1 in FCS in yards defended per return
                  2012 – KO - #2 in conference, #11 in FCS in yards defended per return
                  2013 – Punt – first time in 4 years a punt was not blocked and Sawyer was #3 in Net punting
                  **5 special teams players in 5 years on the conference teams
                  **6 Tight Ends and 4 running backs on all conference teams

I would like TK22867 or KULaw to find another coach in the conference able to do that in 5 years. And I really hope you or KULaw apply for the job so we can see how good you do because it is obvious you know everything (just look at your posts).
                  I played for Coach Moore and if you talk to Stig, players, coaches that were around him he was a great coach. I hope he gets more support down there than he did here.
                  I will miss him even if no one else does.

Comment

I will miss as any other assistant that has moved on to better opportunities. I am sure his family has made sacrifices due to the amount of salary these guys receive. They work 100 hour weeks during fb season.

Comment

Originally posted by DakJacks View Post
                      I was really hoping to get a chance to get into the discussion but was unable to which disappoints me. It was real interesting watching TK22867 do all of his talking. It made me realize that he talks a good game and really thinks he knows a lot about Coach Stig, Coach Moore, SDSU football, and even Ron Turner. It makes me feel like he played for him while he was at Illinois or Stanford or with the Bears, Bucs, or Colts. It was amazing how much he knows. But it really made me realize he doesn’t really know much about anything. I am not sure what I post is a know all, but I feel it has merit since I played for these coaches and was involved in the program lately.

I am not sure if this is a promotion or not but what I can tell you is that ask any coach around and their goal is to be at the FBS level. Is this a high profile job? I don’t know but name one assistant that has left SDSU for a high profile job at the FBS level. There isn’t one. Does Moore deserve this job I don’t know but when you look at what he has done here I think he has shown his ability. Coach Stig always gave us the team goals set out the previous year and since I was a special teams guy only I kept them. Lets look at his five years as the Special Teams Coordinator and what they did:

2013 – 3rd in combined Special Teams in conference (NOT SURE IF THIS IS RIGHT AS I WAS NOT PART OF PROGRAM)
                      Now contrary to what most believe, every coach only coaches one unit (the only other thing Moore did was set up the practice plan during practice – no scheme talk or anything – each coach did their own)
                      2013 – Punt – first time in 4 years a punt was not blocked and Sawyer was #3 in Net punting

I would like TK22867 or KULaw to find another coach in the conference able to do that in 5 years. And I really hope you or KULaw apply for the job so we can see how good you do because it is obvious you know everything (just look at your posts).
                      I played for Coach Moore and if you talk to Stig, players, coaches that were around him he was a great coach. I hope he gets more support down there than he did here.
                      Good post.

I'll admit, after that fake punt call I initially thought it was an awful awful call. However, after reading posts on the board about the entire left side of the field being open after our first punt, it makes sense that they tried the play. Then came the information from the coaching staff that they made the call on the sideline and the audibled out of the play. The problem? The only person who didn't pick that audible up was really the only person who needed to know.....Sawyer.

You can debate all day whether that was the right time for the call. We were down 14 on the road and punting to one of the most prolific offenses in the FCS. The more I have thought about it, the more I believe there probably isn't a better time. Maybe EWU came out in a different formation which is why they tried to change the play.

Anyway you try to slice it that one play didn't lose that game. No way no how. If you think that you're an idiot.

Comment

I said I wasn't getting into the merits of this and I haven't. I was making a joke about Lane Kiffin getting jobs for which he clearly had no qualifications. If you took it another way, you've misinterpreted it. Whether Shannon is going to do well at FIU or is qualified, I really don't care, as he is no longer at SDSU. In football, that's the only team I care about. Good luck to him in Florida.
                        Last edited by KUlawJack; 01-15-2014, 09:48 AM.
                        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                          I said I wasn't getting into the merits of this and I haven't. I was making a joke about Lane Kiffin getting jobs for which he clearly had no qualifications. If you took it another way, you've misinterpreted it. Whether Shannon is going to do well at FIU or is qualified, I really don't care, as he is no longer at SDSU. In football, that's the only team I care about. Good luck to him in Florida.
                          Lane Kiffin is a good offensive mind. Nick Saban knows his football and he endorses Kiffin as he was just hired as Bamas OC so I will go with Saban on this. Is he a good head coach? Idk. Is he a good Xs and Os offensive coach? Yes.
                          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                            Lane Kiffin is a good offensive mind. Nick Saban knows his football and he endorses Kiffin as he was just hired as Bamas OC so I will go with Saban on this. Is he a good head coach? Idk. Is he a good Xs and Os offensive coach? Yes.
                            I won't disagree that Lane might be a good offensive guy, but all OC's at BAMA run Saban's playbook. They don't get to bring in their own system. I'd say that's a good thing for Lane.

Comment

GREAT POST - these are the type of stats that you don't see in the media. Pretty hard to refute them. I will add this - if people want to blame Coach Moore for the fake punt then you need to blame the entire coaching staff or other parts of it. I don't know who makes the final call on when to run a fake punt but I'm guessing it wasn't Coach Moore.

And yes, the players were coached right and tried to audible out of it based on what they saw. Sawyer should have gotten the message but for some reason he didn't. I even saw that something was changing while watching the game live as the middle up-back guy was waving his arms in the air while turned around to Sawyer. Honestly, I don't know how Sawyer couldn't figure out there was an audible being called.

Comment

I won't disagree that Lane might be a good offensive guy, but all OC's at BAMA run Saban's playbook. They don't get to bring in their own system. I'd say that's a good thing for Lane.
                                Nick Saban brought Lane in specifically to run a more uptempo offense.
                                "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Working...
                                X