Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: next years expectations

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
    Left tackle is the tough position to replace. Replacing an All-American makes it even tougher. But - the Jacks always have O-linemen. The Midwest states produce a lot of O-linemen.

D-line is always harder to replace. I think the Jacks will do it.

Like others said - you are returning some terrific skill position players and having a great Senior QB - GO JACKS!
    Maybe I don't get why oline are more plentiful then D line considering many high schools and top lineman play both ways. I would think some would be willing to switch sides of the ball when we traditionally have plently of online depth but not much dline depth.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      Maybe I don't get why oline are more plentiful then D line considering many high schools and top lineman play both ways. I would think some would be willing to switch sides of the ball when we traditionally have plently of online depth but not much dline depth.
      Defensive lineman are more athletic.
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
        Defensive lineman are more athletic.
        Absolutely. Plus crazier. Being crazy and fast is a huge plus for D linemen.

O-linemen generally are bigger plus have the reputation of being smarter. O linemen are mostly the smartest position group on the team as a whole. Just ask Stig, Meadows, and John Madden. An O lineman has more personal responsibility on a play vs. a D lineman. The O lineman can't free lance and the whole O line group has to work together more as a whole. There is very little risk taking in this position. Where as a good D - lineman, you can never predict what he is going to do.

Now if you really want to talk crazy, lets talk about the special team players including the punt returners.

I think the Linebackers are the craziest of all.

Comment

According to T.V.'s Tuesday's Tidbits Cole Langer has put another 20lbs on since the end of the season and is weighing in at 285. So he has put on 40lbs since graduating high school. talk about the freshman 40. I think he is going to be a beast in the middle next year and will demand a double team.

Comment

The FCS preseason poll has the Jackrabbits at #22. SaturdayBlitz.com
            http://saturdayblitz.com/2014/05/27/...-part-3-21-30/
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Here are the other preseason polls that I got from AGS.

SPORTING NEWS TOP 25
              1. EWU
              2. NDSU
              3. SLU
              4. Jacksonville St
              5. Villanova
              6. CCU
              7. UNH
              8. Fordham
              9. McNeese St
              10. Montana
              11. UNI
              12. Richmond
              13. Tenn St
              14. Chattanooga
              15. Towson
              16. SHSU
              17. Liberty
              18. Montana St
              19. SDSU
              20. NAU
              21. BCC
              22. EIU
              23. W&M
              24. Southern Utah
              25. Furman

LINDY'S TOP 25
              1. EWU
              2. SLU
              3. NDSU
              4. Montana
              5. UNH
              6. SDSU
              7. CCU
              8. Fordham
              9. Tenn St
              10. Chattanooga
              11. UNI
              12. W&M
              13. McNeese St
              14. Towson
              15. Woffor
              16. Villanova
              17. EIU
              18. SHSU
              19. Jacksonville St
              20. Furman
              21. Montana St
              22. SC State
              23. Richmond
              24. BCC
              25. Princeton

ATHLON'S TOP 25
              1. EWU
              2. NDSU
              3. SLU
              4. UNH
              5. UNI
              6. Jacksonville St
              7. Montana
              8. Villanova
              9. McNeese St
              10. Towson
              11. SDSU
              12. Chattanooga
              13. Fordham
              14. CCU
              15. W&M
              16. Montana St
              17. Tenn St
              18. Richmond
              19. Furman
              20. SIU
              21. SHSU
              22. JMU
              23. Delaware
              24. EIU
              25. YSU
              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

Interesting that the Saturday blitz pole has Youngstown in at #7 and us at #22, because of their "history" which occurred before the Dakotas entered the equation. I have much higher expectations for next season, but it will definitely be difficult with the road games on next years schedule

Comment

Originally posted by sdsu_drake View Post
                  Interesting that the Saturday blitz pole has Youngstown in at #7 and us at #22, because of their "history" which occurred before the Dakotas entered the equation. I have much higher expectations for next season, but it will definitely be difficult with the road games on next years schedule
                  Very questionable to have Youngstown ranked that high. Unless YSU significantly improves their line play on both sides of the ball, they have a better chance of being the 7th best team in The Valley than they do being the 7th best team in the country.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

I think 15-20 is fair until we do something to earn a preseason top 10.

If we want to be an elite team we need to win on the road. We have a chance to prove ourselves this year.

Comment

I'd agree that YSU will be struggling to be top half of MoValley FC this upcoming season. IMHO, UNI, SDSU, NDSU will be fighting for the conference crown, with UNI having the inside track due to having SDSU & NDSU at home this season. SIU and Mo ST, possibly Il St at .500. Then USD and YSU, with WIU and In St at the bottom.

National, SELA, EWU return solid contenders. Towson will be hard pressed to hold off Maine & UNH in the CAA. Montana, and Cal Poly will be likely play-off teams, but I see EWU managing to take the Big Sky. McNeese should be #2 to SELA in the Southland, though UCA will be there in contention. Fordham is about two years ahead in funded schollies in the Patriot, so they should be the best from there, although can't be conference champ (because of the early schollie ramp-up). OVC should be down as EIU graduated a ton of talent and lost their coach (ala NDSU).

Comment

I see UNI just released a 2014 game on Sept 27 vs Tennessee Tech. SDSU has to take UW-
                        Oshkosh for a game. Guess they didn't ask TTech for a game that would mean something.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
                          I see UNI just released a 2014 game on Sept 27 vs Tennessee Tech. SDSU has to take UW-
                          Oshkosh for a game. Guess they didn't ask TTech for a game that would mean something.
                          I'm not a 100% sure on the timeline, but I believe Tennessee Tech got bought out of a contract with Houston after we signed on to play UW-Oshkosh, and it just so happened that UNI had Morgan State back out on them late in the game, so they were both victims of circumstance who just happened to have things work out.

If SDSU wasn't so cheap, we would have Nostradamus working in our athletic department!!!
                          - Steven Wright

Comment

Nostradamas, what team did he coach? He can't be better than Stig.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                              I'm not a 100% sure on the timeline, but I believe Tennessee Tech got bought out of a contract with Houston after we signed on to play UW-Oshkosh, and it just so happened that UNI had Morgan State back out on them late in the game, so they were both victims of circumstance who just happened to have things work out.

If SDSU wasn't so cheap, we would have Nostradamus working in our athletic department!!!
                              You are correct on the timeline sir.
                              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

The players my source has talked to don't care who they play. Who was it who said they just play who they put in front of them? And please don't drag that dead horse of a post into here! Please no, I can't take it no more.

Anyhow - back to point topic. I'm going to agree with Lindy's and say the Jacks are #6 until someone beats them. If they don't win the Valley this year, when will they? I'm also predicting the Marker comes back to Brookings where it belongs. The Jacks have too much skill position talent on offense and some difference makers on defense aka Langer. When you start the former Rookie of the year as a Senior QB and have one of the best RB's in all of football - you should be rated #6. - Argue with me why not. I see the best Jacks team yet this year and that includes the first playoff year. The boys need to earn a conference ring, and then go far into the playoffs.

This is the year to believe. I defy you to argue with me.

Go Jacks!

Comment

Working...
                                X