next years expectations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• next years expectations

Since the season is over and some people didn't want to talk about what next year might bring I just wanted to get peoples thoughts for next season. If we make the playoffs is that a sucsess or do we need to get past the 2nd round this year?

I think we need to atleast make the playoffs and be in the confrence tourny race. My biggest concern is D line. We lost a lot there and not a lot has proven ready to step up or surpass those guys. Peete was just amazing to watch. The others worked their nuts off every play. The o line always seems to find guys who are ready to step up just like the line backers but the D line is a question mark. Hopefully with the rest of the offense back really we should expect big things from the offense imho.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Re: next years expectations

The O-line and D-line were both hit very hard by graduation. But you have to love all the skill players that the Jacks will have coming back on offense as well as the linebacking crew on defense. I'm going to hold off on playoff speculation for awhile. I want the Jacks to win the Missouri Valley first.
    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      Since the season is over and some people didn't want to talk about what next year might bring I just wanted to get peoples thoughts for next season. If we make the playoffs is that a sucsess or do we need to get past the 2nd round this year?

I think we need to atleast make the playoffs and be in the confrence tourny race. My biggest concern is D line. We lost a lot there and not a lot has proven ready to step up or surpass those guys. Peete was just amazing to watch. The others worked their nuts off every play. The o line always seems to find guys who are ready to step up just like the line backers but the D line is a question mark. Hopefully with the rest of the offense back really we should expect big things from the offense imho.
      I think that next year the goal should be to get that first round bye. We were close to getting it this year, but that loss to MoSt killed any chances of that. This team, even with graduation, will have a ton of talent. I would like to see this team continue to throw the ball considering the players we have back. I would also like to see the use of Zenner curtailed just a little bit each game so that he can be even more fresh towards the end of the season/into the playoffs. I know that he is a workhorse and wouldn't ever admit it, but all the carries at the beginning of the season have to wear on a guy when you play that many games

As a fan I want to see them win a NC, but the realist in me says that the semi final game would be spectacular.
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Who DON't Jacks play in Valley next year? Indiana St? If so, we're losing an easy W, and replacing with someone tougher. I want to see the Jacks undefeated at home, and wins over both UNI and NDSU on the road next year, along with no OOC FCS losses.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
          Who DON't Jacks play in Valley next year? Indiana St? If so, we're losing an easy W, and replacing with someone tougher. I want to see the Jacks undefeated at home, and wins over both UNI and NDSU on the road next year, along with no OOC FCS losses.
          We pick up Illinois State and drop SIU.

Comment

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BigGoosie13 again.

I'm ok swapping IL St for SIU for a couple of years. Although, will miss the Lennon/Stig battles. Two coaches very familar with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
              You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BigGoosie13 again.

I'm ok swapping IL St for SIU for a couple of years. Although, will miss the Lennon/Stig battles. Two coaches very familar with each other.
              Pretty even trade off for the most part. The home confrence games are more important then ever. Uni and ndsu on the road is tough. Atleast we have very winnable home games. Win out at home and split on the road and we should be in the hunt for a playoff seed if we do that.

Would love to see formations with mulite running back sets. Call me crazy but I would kill to see jones run the triple option with zenner and rodriguiz split behind him. Since jones can throw would be a huge hidden weapon to use that formation on occasion be that wrinkle we have the talent to execute with. We have 3 running backs who are proven to be ready to for plently of carries. I would love to see more then just zz up the middle. Run him out side and a few different formations beyonf shifting tightends and lead blockers. Which in my none coaching experience would mean that would open up the passing game.

How many did we lose off the off line? And we lost 4 off the dline correct? Just langer and drawing a blank on the other backup leblanc maybe.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

How many did we lose off the off line? And we lost 4 off the dline correct? Just langer and drawing a blank on the other backup leblanc maybe.
                O-Line: Lose 4-yr starters in Parker (LG) and Witzmann (LT), Suess (Center) and Kage (reserve). Return Shoff (RG), Greger (RT); along w/ others that received playing time because of injuries (Purcell, Siverling, Seiter, Mueller).

D-Line: Lose Burke, Douglas on interior and Peete, Peugh at the ends. Return Langer and LaBlance on interior and Sherlock at the end. Plote also saw limited action.

Comment

I love that we have skill position experience returning, but the loss off of the lines on both sides has me worried. If we can replace the linemen we should be a playoff team again. If we can't, I think we can still be decent, but playoffs might be hoping for too much.
                  One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

I always felt that sdsu always rebuit its o-line but that was with meadows at the helm on that side. It will be critical of the new line coach to build up another quality line. The D line is the big concern. Losing all 4 starters is big. That's what I will be watching. Also will expect to see some improvement in the secondary.

Comment

Easy 1-0
                      We...ARE...STATE!
                      SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
                        Easy 1-0
                        Unfortunately we need 8 wins to make the playoffs.
                        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                          Unfortunately we need 8 wins to make the playoffs.
                          Are we going to have an 11 game schedule or 12 games next year? Thought we still had some openings.

Comment

Are we going to have an 11 game schedule or 12 games next year? Thought we still had some openings.
                            I thought we were still looking for a twelfth game:http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=209281013

Comment

I always felt that sdsu always rebuit its o-line but that was with meadows at the helm on that side. It will be critical of the new line coach to build up another quality line. The D line is the big concern. Losing all 4 starters is big. That's what I will be watching. Also will expect to see some improvement in the secondary.
                              Left tackle is the tough position to replace. Replacing an All-American makes it even tougher. But - the Jacks always have O-linemen. The Midwest states produce a lot of O-linemen.

D-line is always harder to replace. I think the Jacks will do it.

Like others said - you are returning some terrific skill position players and having a great Senior QB - GO JACKS!

Comment

Working...
                              X