vBulletin email spoof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin email spoof?

I received this evening an email which indicates it is from vbulletin -- that's the software supporting this forum. The messages advises that vbulletin has had a security breach and there has been an attempt to access member info including passwords. It goes on to state that vbulletin has changed one's password and gives a link so that one can get access to the forum. I THINK THE MESSAGE MAY BE A SPOOF. I was able to sign on to this board with my usual password. If you received a similar email, I recommend it be ignored.

It is possible the message is legit but applies to a different board also using vbulletin.

We'll try to determine if the message is legitimate. For now, I recommend you do not click on the link in the email if you received it.
    Last edited by JackJD; 11-17-2013, 09:20 AM.

Re: vBulletin email spoof?

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    I received this evening an email which indicates it is from vbulletin -- that's the software supporting this forum. The messages advises that vbulletin has had a security breach and there has been an attempt to access member info including passwords. It goes on to state that vbulletin has changed one's password and gives a link so that one can get access to the forum. I THINK THE MESSAGE MAY BE A SPOOF. I was able to sign on to this board with my usual password. If you received a similar email, I recommend it be ignored.

It is possible the message is legit but applies to a different board also using vbulletin.

We'll try to determine if the message is legitimate. For now, I recommend you do not click on the link in the email if you received it.
    My own first reaction is that it is a rather clumsy attempt at phishing for bulletin board ids/passwords.

ALWAYS check to make sure that the site you're logging into is the one you think you're logging into. Browsers vary but all will show you the exact address (the URL, beginning with two slashes as in "//http......" and sometimes phishers will cleverly build addresses that end with legitimate-looking addresses but actually take you somewhere else entirely.

No site should be asking you--no site is authorized to ask you--for your sdsufans.com board password except this one, the real honest-to-goodness sdsufans.com site.

Accept no substitutes.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Re: vBulletin email spoof?

filbert...by all appearances it's a fake ... I did a little checking...will post a message in the Moderators' thread. JackJD

Comment

Working...
      X