Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Playoffs

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
    No doubt this attendance was poor last year but I would expect a large improvement the next time the Jacks host a playoff game. The whole playoff concept was more new to SDSU fans then and as I remember the possibility of hosting was not much talked about. That and the holiday weekend mixed in to create a small crowd. Next time it will be different.
    I would expect an improvement as well, but not a large one. If we play in the opening round of the playoffs and it is on the holiday weekend, we will always struggle with attendance. Some folks have the choice of traveling to be with family for Thanksgiving holiday or stay home and watch the Jackrabbits. I have no qualms with folks choosing the former if a choice has to be made. It's just the nature of the beast.

Kemo had it right......crowd size matters for $, but it had little impact on the atmosphere. Plus, if I recall correctly, there was a major donor that stepped up to essentially guarantee we would host a home playoff game. Must not have been the case this year.

Comment

Anybody have an idea what it costs the athletic department to run a game day at CAS? How much would they need to make to break even?

With 4000 playoff tickets sold at $20/ticket, that would equate to 80,000 in gate revenue. If the NCAA minimum guarantee is $30,000 for the first round, that would give us $50,000 or so to break even after expenses. Is that feasible? I can't recall how much tickets were for last year's game? I also realize that of the 4300 in attendance last year, some would have been comped attendance for the band, parents, etc.
      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
        Anybody have an idea what it costs the athletic department to run a game day at CAS? How much would they need to make to break even?

With 4000 playoff tickets sold at $20/ticket, that would equate to 80,000 in gate revenue. If the NCAA minimum guarantee is $30,000 for the first round, that would give us $50,000 or so to break even after expenses. Is that feasible? I can't recall how much tickets were for last year's game? I also realize that of the 4300 in attendance last year, some would have been comped attendance for the band, parents, etc.
        You don't get to keep everything above and beyond the bid. The bid is in place in case you don't make that much. The NCAA gets a certain percentage of your gate, or the bid, whichever is bigger. So think of the bid as the minimum you will pay...

Comment

Working...
        X