Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playoffs

State needs a lot of help to get in but winning out will put them right on the bubble.

Here are the five teams still with playoff hopes and who they have yet to play.

North Dakota State (8-0, 5-0): ISU-Red, @YSU, USD
    Youngstown State (8-1, 5-0): @UNI, NDSU, SDSU
    Southern Illinois (5-4, 3-2): MSU, ISU-Red, ISU-Blue
    Illinois State (5-4, 4-2): @NDSU, @SIU
    South Dakota State (5-4, 2-3): ISU-Blue, @USD, @YSU

NDSU and Youngstown are in. The final spot comes down to SIU, ISU-Red, and State. MVFC could get four spots but traditionally there are three teams that make it.

What State needs:

NDSU needs to beat Illinois State this weekend. This is likely but the Bison tend to drop a game at home to a lesser opponent every year. I still don't think Illinois State gets in with only 7 wins, but a win over NDSU and a potential 6-2 record in conference puts them on the bubble.

Southern Illinois has two tough games coming up but they're both winnable and both at home. Losing to Missouri State this week or Illinois State the next puts them out of the playoffs. SIU also has a lower level win.

State needs to win out. They'll likely see a win this week but @USD and @YSU will prove very difficult.
    Last edited by SDSUAlum08; 11-05-2013, 12:39 PM.
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Re: Playoffs

I believe Terry has said on many occasions that no Valley team with 7 D-1 wins has not been in the playoffs. Did that change last year?

Comment

The team is hardly a model of consistency, so i'm having a difficult time thinking they can win 4 in a row.
      Anyway:

1. ISU-B - should be a win,they lost Bell, and generally aren't very good. 85%
      2. USD- Game of the decade for the yotes in the Danger Dome!. I think the Jacks can run on them and in return stop their run game. Key will be stopping their pass attach. 65%
      3. Youngstown State- Not sure what to expect out of them. Good record but a weak schedule so far. 55%

Comment

That all looks spot on to me. I think between Siu, Illinois st, and SDSU that we are in the best position. Coming off a bye week with practically a gimme against Indiana State. USD and Youngstown seem like teams SDSU is good against. Man just don't know if its in the script for us or not..

I've noticed a pattern this year, its when we are able to reliably stop the rushing attack we will have success. Against UNI, Western, UND we were able to consistently limit them on the ground. Then it was easier for the D to get stops on 3rd down. Against NDSU, SIU, Missouri State we were giving up 5/6 yards routinely. SELA we got lucky with their stupid penalties I think. But they were getting good yards on the ground. Thats what I'm going to be looking for early in these next 3 games.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
          2. USD- Game of the decade for the yotes in the Danger Dome!. I think the Jacks can run on them and in return stop their run game. Key will be stopping their pass attach. 65%
          If thats the case where SDSU can consistently run the ball well and stop the Yotes rushing attack consistently, then I don't see how we lose. The other major factor imo is putting pressure on the quarterback. If the front 4 are not making the qb uncomfortable in any of these games, then you gotta bring a blitz of some kind. Our secondary is simply not that good.

Comment

Originally posted by discoDancinJackrabbit View Post
            If thats the case where SDSU can consistently run the ball well and stop the Yotes rushing attack consistently, then I don't see how we lose. The other major factor imo is putting pressure on the quarterback. If the front 4 are not making the qb uncomfortable in any of these games, then you gotta bring a blitz of some kind. Our secondary is simply not that good.
            Yeah,the yotes throwing against us worries me the most. It's took them awhile but it looks like they found a pretty good QB.

Comment

I have watched this team play five times so far this year, and I have little confidence that they can win 3 in row. Serious adjustments will need to be made in order for us to beat both USD and YSU.
              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                I believe Terry has said on many occasions that no Valley team with 7 D-1 wins has not been in the playoffs. Did that change last year?
                Im pretty sure he said 8 D1 wins.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08
                  Sadly, I'm with ya. But there is a chance.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCFB2akLh4s

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                    Very appropriate.

Comment

Everyone doing their part so far.

NDSU 14 ISU-Red 7 (2nd quarter)
                      MSU 21 SIU 17 (Half)
                      SDSU beating ISU-Blue

Comment

Win the next two and State is in the playoffs.

Comment

All road playoff games from here on out. Starting with the Yotes.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                            Win the next two and State is in the playoffs.
                            Starts with the next one. Stig had great success at the DII level in the dome. USD was a different program then. Jacks dominated last year, USD was a different team then. It is going to be a 4 quarter battle in the dome.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Bozemaniac View Post
                              All road playoff games from here on out. Starting with the Yotes.
                              +1. Playoffs start Saturday.

Edit: Technically they started a few weeks ago

Comment

Working...
                              X