NDSU FANS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDSU FANS?

We all know every school has its share of bad fans. NDSU is no exception. Here's a opinion piece on the KFGO (radio home of Bison football) website by Mike McFeely.

http://kfgo.com/blogs/so-many-opinio...in-bison-fans/

[No need for the Bison fans to jump in here and starting killing the messenger, McFeely.]

ADDED LATER: I first put this new thread post under the MVFC section but, what was I thinking? No smack intended but pretty good chance some of the Bison fans McFeely is writing about will show up and turn it into a smack thread.
    Last edited by JackJD; 10-17-2013, 07:39 PM.

Re: NDSU FANS?

Enjoyed the link, and yes the fans are ridiculously critical of their team. There are some good fans though, like I over heard an older fan say in a Fargo restaurant," He did not think any team would beat the Bison in the fourth quarter". The more I thought about, it is true, and Saturday the Fargo Forum ran a big article on their fitness program and how it kept them going through the fourth quarter. Flash back to the SDSU game, and who was sucking air in the 4th. I hate to say it but it was the Jacks D who had been on the field awhile. I don't think we have problem with fitness, its just too much to stop the Bison. A three peat for sure. The fans had better enjoy it as they unload about 22 seniors this year. Next year will be rebuilding or maybe just reloading. Who knows, I don't.

Comment

I've been wondering if at some point in the near future NDSU fans will suffer the same delusions as Nebraska fans since the 90's (we really should be national championship contenders, we are just 1 or 2 pieces away). Notre Dame, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, the list pretty much goes on forever for as long as sports have been played. A team can only stay on top for so long, once the fanbase becomes accustomed to complete success/domination, they get pretty surly after a few "bad" seasons with 2-3 losses and no national championships. Mack Brown was supposed to be able to retire at Texas, how many 5 loss seasons and no playoffs would it take to put Bohl on the hot seat? 2? Things would get really feisty during another stretch like 3? And FBS money starts looking a whole lot better when he isn't getting bonuses for selling out the Fargo Dome, playoffs, and National Championships.

I'm sure NDSU fans will chime in and explain that they have always been good and will always be good. I'm sure 1993 Notre Dame fan would say the same. ND didn't win a bowl game from 94-08 (24 seasons by my count). In the 8 years following the 88 natty, Lou Holtz averaged over 9 wins a season, but there were plenty of fans who were ecstatic to see him leave South Bend. From 94-12, ND football was the definition of average.

None of this is a knock against NDSU, their fans, or the success they have had.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        I've been wondering if at some point in the near future NDSU fans will suffer the same delusions as Nebraska fans since the 90's (we really should be national championship contenders, we are just 1 or 2 pieces away). Notre Dame, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, the list pretty much goes on forever for as long as sports have been played. A team can only stay on top for so long, once the fanbase becomes accustomed to complete success/domination, they get pretty surly after a few "bad" seasons with 2-3 losses and no national championships. Mack Brown was supposed to be able to retire at Texas, how many 5 loss seasons and no playoffs would it take to put Bohl on the hot seat? 2? Things would get really feisty during another stretch like 3? And FBS money starts looking a whole lot better when he isn't getting bonuses for selling out the Fargo Dome, playoffs, and National Championships.

I'm sure NDSU fans will chime in and explain that they have always been good and will always be good. I'm sure 1993 Notre Dame fan would say the same. ND didn't win a bowl game from 94-08 (24 seasons by my count). In the 8 years following the 88 natty, Lou Holtz averaged over 9 wins a season, but there were plenty of fans who were ecstatic to see him leave South Bend. From 94-12, ND football was the definition of average.

None of this is a knock against NDSU, their fans, or the success they have had.
        A few years ago didn't ndsu have like a 3 or 4 win season? If I remeber some were calling for bohls head then.

Then again the apathy of sdsu fans. The here we go again and always fall short of expectations. Our fans leave plently yo be desired. The best QB stats wise every from sdsu and the best running back in the fcs and we only get 11K for hobo day game? We couldn't even use hunting season as an excuse yet.

The ndsu fans do need to turn down the arrogance some. I am waiting for the freakouts when their super senior basketball class falls short of expectations again.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

ND didn't win a bowl game from 94-08 (24 seasons by my count).
          As a lifelong Irish fan, I demand a recount!

I agree on all points though, which is exactly why I think there is a strong chance Nick Saban ends up at Texas - especially if he wins his 3rd in a row this year at Bama.

Regarding Bohl.........what are NDSU fans going to think about him leaving for the Minnesota job after Jerry Kill steps down, potentially after this year? My guess is they will be expecting Jim Tressel or Lane Kiffin to come in an take over.

Comment

It may be a good idea to take a look at some of the game day threads on here after we have won. There will be many posts that harp on the negatives and say we should have won by more than two touchdowns.

Every fan base has the type of fans McFeely is describing. NDSU probably has more, but let's be honest they have good reason to expect the Bison to dominate.

If NDSU fails to win it all this year....look out.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              If NDSU fails to win it all this year....look out.
              That will include the men's basketball team!
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

We definitely have high expectations. Booing the team is terrible. I can't believe why some would do it.

As for next year, I think a lot of teams are going to take revenge. McFooly is correct though, to reach the success we have achieved it takes 100 things to go right. We definitely had lots of luck along the way.

Who knows if Bohl will still be here next year. I would guess he stays. I don't think he will go to the Gophers, but they are pretty much the only threat (Bigger/Better schools would never stoop so low as a FCS coach).

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                  We definitely have high expectations. Booing the team is terrible. I can't believe why some would do it.

As for next year, I think a lot of teams are going to take revenge. McFooly is correct though, to reach the success we have achieved it takes 100 things to go right. We definitely had lots of luck along the way.

Who knows if Bohl will still be here next year. I would guess he stays. I don't think he will go to the Gophers, but they are pretty much the only threat (Bigger/Better schools would never stoop so low as a FCS coach).
                  IMHO, Nebraska may be interested in bringing back a 3-peat national champion coach, who has Nebraska experience, if Pellini doesn't get the Huskers to at least the B1G title game. However, I don't know if there's bad blood between St. Osborne and Bohl from that previous coaching time.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                    IMHO, Nebraska may be interested in bringing back a 3-peat national champion coach, who has Nebraska experience, if Pellini doesn't get the Huskers to at least the B1G title game. However, I don't know if there's bad blood between St. Osborne and Bohl from that previous coaching time.
                    Nebraska boosters would flip out if they did not get a bigger name. I just can't see it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                      Solich was coach when Bohl was let go and I believe it was Steve Peterson who was the AD. Osborne was serving the third district in the US House of Representatives at the time. Osborne also ran for governor and lost and that is how he got back in the AD seat. Winning three NC at the FCS might make Bohl look attractive to Nebraska fans, but judging from the uncovered tape incident, I would think Pellini is still safe at UNL.

Comment

ND didn't win a bowl game from 94-08 (24 seasons by my count)..
                        SFRF, is this Notre Dame math? My head hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          I am waiting for the freakouts when their super senior basketball class falls short of expectations again.
                          I am waiting for the freakouts when the Bison win the school's 3rd straight FCS title AND go dancing.

I'm sure it was some random drunk sitting in a cheap seat way up by the press box that influenced this from Mike. I haven't heard booing towards the Bison at the FargoDome in years. Grasping at straws again for McFeely, but I'm sure it accomplished his goal.

Comment

I'll bet money that those athletes masquerading as basketball players don't go dancing.* You're all aware that playing basketball is actually a skill necessary to winning basketball games right? Can't just put 5 good athletes out there that can't shoot. Seems obvious, but from watching Saul-coached teams, I'm not sure if he knows that. Let's pass the ball around for 30 seconds and then take a terrible shot! No wonder no one comes to your games. Combine that ****ty arena with the ****ty brand of offensive basketball and I'd avoid the **** out of it too. What does your marketing department do? "Come watch the Bison! If we score 60, everyone gets free hot dogs!"

Also, did Kory Brown develop an offensive game this summer? A jumper? You guys had cheerleaders that were worrying defenses more than him last year.

*Obviously the football team will win 3 straight and I hate that. ****ers.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by HandoEX View Post
                              I am waiting for the freakouts when the Bison win the school's 3rd straight FCS title AND go dancing.

I'm sure it was some random drunk sitting in a cheap seat way up by the press box that influenced this from Mike. I haven't heard booing towards the Bison at the FargoDome in years. Grasping at straws again for McFeely, but I'm sure it accomplished his goal.

This here.

McFooley is trying to get ratings. I have not heard booing this year or any year except in 09 there was some but they should be ashamed of themselves.

Yes, NDSU has had a nice run with this senior class but the cupboard will not be empty next year. I fully expect the Bison to be in the running for the MV conference title.

Comment

Working...
                              X