2013-2014 Lineup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013-2014 Lineup

Any word on the lineup for this year? Any of those highly touted Freshmen expected to be the guys at their respective weights?

Re: 2013-2014 Lineup

Originally posted by Danger41 View Post
    Any word on the lineup for this year? Any of those highly touted Freshmen expected to be the guys at their respective weights?
    I'm not sure if anything has changed, but Chris Bono told me earlier he planned to redshirt all the freshmen, except one or two where he might need them for a weight fill.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
      I'm not sure if anything has changed, but Chris Bono told me earlier he planned to redshirt all the freshmen, except one or two where he might need them for a weight fill.
      Not unexpected. In order to not be redshirted, you have to be stud. Personally, I am glad he is redshirting all the freshmen. They could use another year to work on their technique and get stronger as well as grow into their body.
      "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

I thought that some of these dudes (Mascarenas, Rotert, Holler, etc) were some of the top dog recruits in the country and therefore "studs". Not trying to be snide, I guess I'm just surprised that none of them will be in the starting lineup. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Danger41 View Post
          I thought that some of these dudes (Mascarenas, Rotert, Holler, etc) were some of the top dog recruits in the country and therefore "studs". Not trying to be snide, I guess I'm just surprised that none of them will be in the starting lineup. Thanks for the info.
          Try considering it this way. Adding three or four "studs" as you refer to them to the lineup this year certainly doesn't guarantee we will take a run at a conference championship. On the other hand, Coach Bono knows that a redshirt will be very beneficial to even the best freshmen, and giving them five years to get to their final year will give them a lot better chance to qualify for the chase to a national championship. Wrestling is no different than any other sport, where most coaches try to redshirt their freshmen (i.e., our current freshman football class, with one or two out of 20 maybe ready to play). As I said, one or two may be pulled out of a redshirt...but I'm with the approach that Bono and his coaching staff are taking. And BTW, there is a huge amount of warfare going on in the practice room and a lot of our upper classmen are improving just as well as the newcomers.

Comment

Good stuff. Thanks.

Very excited to see this group develop!

Comment

I like the idea that many of these red-shirt freshmen studs will make better wrestlers out of the upperclassmen. If you have to hone your skills in practice just to keep up with the stud underclassmen, just think how much confidence you will have going into regular meets!

Comment

Working...
              X