Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    There had been discussions about a 22,000-seat stadium. TV's story and the plans indicate the seating will be 18,500. Was the plan always for about 18,500 with the potential to expand to 22,000?
    Perhaps the open southwest corner represents some portion of that? Just a possibility.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
      IMHO, SDSU should rarely need a 25K stadium over the next 100 years.
      Agreed. I would much rather have an 18,500 seat stadium that is full 70% of the time than a 25,000 seat stadium that is full once per year.

That being said, I love the proposed end date for this project (2016). I thought it would probably be closer to 2018. Let's get started!

Comment

According to the timeline link,there are two phases to the project.
        Phase one consists of building East & South & West press box.(start: Nov,2014)
        Phase two follows with the West Stadium.(start:Feb,2015)
        So,are the old stands going to be used til phase two?

Updated 9-12-2013

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          I think it's a nice stadium design. And I trust the architects and the athletic department staff to place the dang stands the proper distance from the field. I also think starting with an 18,500 seat stadium makes sense. There is plenty of space on the east side to expand later.

As to whether it's a preliminary design that could change: The original "preliminary" design for the Sanford building north of the Dykhouse center has changed pretty significantly since it was first unveiled.
          Fully realizing the scope of the project is completely different, but after the way the seating redesign in Frost went this past year, you can't blame people for being a little uneasy.
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
            Perhaps the open southwest corner represents some portion of that? Just a possibility.
            I suspect that leaving that corner open decreases the complexity of merging the different phases of the project. Decreasing the complexity may decrease the cost and time for the proposed project. I don't want to sit in the corner anyway (unless no other seat is available).
            Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
              According to the timeline link,there are two phases to the project.
              Phase one consists of building East & South & West press box.(start: Nov,2014)
              Phase two follows with the West Stadium.(start:Feb,2015)
              So,are the old stands going to be used til phase two?

Updated 9-12-2013
              That's how I understand it. If I am looking at the drawings right, it appears that they can start building the "back" of the west stands (which includes the press box, suites, etc) before they even tear down the old stands. Check out the last page of the document with the sketches.

http://www.sdbor.edu/theboard/commit...Plan091813.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                Every design and drawing I had seen previously showed that corner being open as an entrance point for the students. That may have change a lot since 2008 when I saw the first potential schematic drawings. I know the plan was to close the road in front of the stadium and have that as green space and a plaza. I like the simplistic design of the stadium. I think it makes it easier to accomplish doing the stadium in phases. It is a fun time to be an alum and a Jackrabbit or even future Jackrabbit. Professionally for myself, this and the indoor field house facility are projects I would love to get involved with managing.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                  Why do we need to fit a soccer field?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
                  Who knows what the next 50 years will bring. There is a not insignificant chance soccer could become a premiere sport in the next few decades. I think it is responsible planning to include contingencies for multiple uses.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    Who knows what the next 50 years will bring. There is a not insignificant chance soccer could become a premiere sport in the next few decades. I think it is responsible planning to include contingencies for multiple uses.
                    Just like the Metrodome?

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                      Just like the Metrodome?
                      Yes, just like the Metrodome. How many millions of fans and thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of athletes used the Metrodome? Laugh if you want to, but the Metrodome served a purpose for quite a while in Minneapolis. The undoing of the Metrodome was the same as many defunct arenas (including CAS). Its amenities were no longer up to the standards of its tenants. Pretty tough to argue the amenities wouldn't be up to the tenants standards when the stadium is owned by the tenants.

All I'm saying is that I don't have a problem making the field space big enough for soccer.

From what I can tell, SDSU's stands will be maybe 3-5 yards further back than at TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis (if that).

Two things I noticed after looking at the plans: 1)A bar in the concessions level 2)Not much/any standing room only.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

A few random thoughts that i have is I think the bathrooms and consessions will be a great change, the extra room in the seats and such for legroom and "butt" space should help feel less crowded, assuming they are making each seat area a bit more roomy.

The distance increase from the field will really take the fans some getting use too. right now in row 17 is really not a bad seat IMO, but if its that much farther back to start and strecthed out more might percieve it to be not as good as it seems right now. I usually thing its a bad thing to move fans away from the action. the closer to it usually the better it is. thats one reason i am really not a fan of or impressed with the changes in frost the last 10 years. Yet at the same time, i think we as a fan base have much to complain about since most fans would rather just sit back and watch and not have to stand to cheer or anything and being in the new stadium should only help them with that. In my new section during the first game of the year a guy behind us i heard not so quietly complain about how along the lines of hoped the fans better not think they are going to stand the whole game and commented several times when people stood to cheer in during important parts of the game.

My other concern is how will this affect ticket prices. We are pretty much tapped out for tickets right now and with a 2nd kid coming in a few monthes priorites are going to change again. WE might not be getting season tickets anymore espicially if the price keeps going up drastically. So if the new stadium cant keep prices reasonable they are going to price to many fans out of the market. Hopefully they can do some sections or ticket packages for familes or family sections etc so we can still come to the game but not pay 50+ a ticket. needing 4 tickets 2 each game in the future will not be easy for us to make so having a discount family plan or ticket packages besides just season tickets or individual single game tickets would be a good idea. I wouldnt mind sitting in higher sections or seats if its a more affordable price. Thats something that i would like to see is with the different seating sections if that affects pricing much.

One final thing that CAS has had for years is enough room to roam about, the standingroom only crowd that many enjoy having that ability to go around the stadium, along with the open areas enough for kids to run around and play catch during the game or halftime is a great family friendly benefit. Bringing a toddler to a game is tough to get them to stay in the stands for 3 plus hours. My son loves going down and running around and throwing the football for awhile during the middle of the game, and i know many kids do and parents love the fact their kids are safe and able to move around and play and its out of the way for the most part. I would be really sad to see if there is no room or grassy areas where you can let kids run around or if like my wife is pregant and want to get out of the stands and walk a bit. losing those family friendly areas that we have now would really be a bummer IMHO. Otherwise I think the new stadium will be a very good think, looks pretty cool. One final thought is I hope all the building fit together and match up with the same look, i would love a brick exterior look to it simmilar to the DSAC, hopefully the SJAC look good next to each other, I sort of feel they were designed with different styles to them and wont fit well together and a new stadium might just not fit as good together.

Oh final final thought, if soccer is going to be there that is a bad idea. most sports and venues are going away from the multil purpose of the past, thats why volleyball and wrestling at many places is getting moved out of basketball arenas etc. we have the land, get soccer its own field just like soft ball and baseball have. put it in the outdoor football practice areas with seating and such but it would be bad to have it on the football field IMO.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                          Once your administration saw the plans for USD with the renovation of the Dome increasing seating to 18,400, then the number 18,500 came into being. (friendly sarcasm)
                          Yeah, we decided that 22,000 was overkill.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I know we will have a limited budget, but one thing I've really gotten to enjoy at newer stadiums is the concourse level concessions where you can still see the field. I haven't been to TCF Bank Stadium, but I believe they have that on the 2nd floor concourse. I don't see that ability with this stadium.

My kids are grown up now, but when they were younger I always enjoyed having the open concourses. It allowed me to take kids down for concessions or to the restrooms and not feel like I was missing a bunch of the game. In that environment, I could also walk the concourse while watching the game. It also gave a chance for the kids to run a little and still be part of the game. As I get closer to the years where my prostrate starts to fail, I can see the benefit of having easy access to the restrooms during the game action too. The other benefit with that type of design is it promotes more concession sales during non-peak sales at halftime.

Maybe one option that would not break the bank is an open air deck level in the southwest corner of the stadium. We've got a void there in the new design. I could see an open deck area that would connect to the two portions of the horse shoe. You could have Nick's Burgers grilling in the back and restrooms off to the sides. I could even see a game area off the back where kids could throw or kick footballs in an enclosed net area. This would really promote a family atmosphere that would build a tradition with future Jackrabbit fans.

As SF_Rabbit_Fan stated well above, "Its amenities were no longer up to the standards of the tennants." I'd hate to say that about a new stadium on campus.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                              I know we will have a limited budget, but one thing I've really gotten to enjoy at newer stadiums is the concourse level concessions where you can still see the field. I haven't been to TCF Bank Stadium, but I believe they have that on the 2nd floor concourse. I don't see that ability with this stadium.

My kids are grown up now, but when they were younger I always enjoyed having the open concourses. It allowed me to take kids down for concessions or to the restrooms and not feel like I was missing a bunch of the game. In that environment, I could also walk the concourse while watching the game. It also gave a chance for the kids to run a little and still be part of the game. As I get closer to the years where my prostrate starts to fail, I can see the benefit of having easy access to the restrooms during the game action too. The other benefit with that type of design is it promotes more concession sales during non-peak sales at halftime.

Maybe one option that would not break the bank is an open air deck level in the southwest corner of the stadium. We've got a void there in the new design. I could see an open deck area that would connect to the two portions of the horse shoe. You could have Nick's Burgers grilling in the back and restrooms off to the sides. I could even see a game area off the back where kids could throw or kick footballs in an enclosed net area. This would really promote a family atmosphere that would build a tradition with future Jackrabbit fans.

As SF_Rabbit_Fan stated well above, "Its amenities were no longer up to the standards of the tennants." I'd hate to say that about a new stadium on campus.
                              Some very good points too. I also thought about if the Bor would allow for a single alcohol area similar to what you discribed, only can purchase and consume beer in a designated area sort of an idea. i know its a huge liability and logisics along with changing state law but if there was ever a time to get beer money on campus for sales this would be the time to figure that out. like have one area a party deck over the south west side as a drinking area, and one between the DSAC and stadium taht is a family friends area.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post

Basically what you seem to want is to put your amenities concourses at the top of your stands rather than below them.

To do that, you either have to move a lot of dirt to lower the playing field (or create artificial berms on which to build your elevated concourse and your grandstands), or build an elevated concourse above the ground supported by structural steel/concrete. Either option would be Expensive with a capital E. Berms would probably also have, or cause, groundwater issues on the playing field.

Amenities on the ground are much, much, much cheaper.
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X