New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Here is a more detailed picture from the media guide, click to zoom in...http://issuu.com/jackrabbitathletics...253075/4695154

Comment

I like the plans for the most part, but I echo the concern about the stands being too far away from the field (though if you zoom in, the distance doesn't look as bad, as it's approximately 20 yards from the 50 yard sideline).

Just from the design, it looks like there is definitely some room to move the seats closer without compromising the safety of the players, as the design is either trying to incorporate a soccer field (which it should not) or over-compensating for the curvature around the 7 yard lines (which needs to be done so the fans sitting there don't hurt their necks watching the action, but the players/coaches boxes don't extend that far, so there just needs to be enough room for a player to stop their momentum after they step out of bounds). Even an additional 5 yards would make a huge difference. Also, I think the Jackrabbit players would welcome the crowd being closer as long as they still have room to function, for it would create a louder atmosphere that they could feed off of while hurting the opposing team's communication.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        The plan as drawn is sized to fit a soccer field within the stadium.

At least there's an elevator for the coaches.
        Why do we need to fit a soccer field?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever
          On the last page of the BOR report, what is the blue stadium drawing that is larger than the black stadium drawing, what that an original idea, but they are now downsizing a bit?
          These plans are for an 18,000 seat stadium with the projected cost being 60 to 65 million. I know the talk originally was for up to 22,000 seats. Not sure if that has any thing to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
            Why do we need to fit a soccer field?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
            I don't know, but I would venture to guess that the Athletic Department has a desire to get as many sports as possible to have their activities on campus. Is their somebody with connections here, or in the know that could provide an insight into this?

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
              I don't know, but I would venture to guess that the Athletic Department has a desire to get as many sports as possible to have their activities on campus. Is their somebody with connections here, or in the know that could provide an insight into this?
              2025 master plan has a soccer stadium on campus and not part of the football stadium.
              http://www.gojacks.com/downloads2/39...2208&DB_LANG=C

Comment

I would note that this is still a preliminary design. More of a concept, really. Yes, a detailed concept, but still a concept. Once they start spending the money for the detailed engineering work, changes get MUCH harder and more expensive to make.

So, if you have comments/concerns, you should definitely direct them to Justin Sell and the fine hard-working folks at the Athletic Department. Concerns/comments attached to checks and/or receipts for Jackrabbit Club donations just might carry slightly more influence.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                  ...So, if you have comments/concerns, you should definitely direct them to Justin Sell and the fine hard-working folks at the Athletic Department. Concerns/comments attached to checks and/or receipts for Jackrabbit Club donations just might carry slightly more influence.
                  I second that.

Critics need to chill out...this is very preliminary stuff. (added: By the way, I defend the right to criticize the plans...heck, that's what a message board is for! But, personally, I think it's pretty early. We're still in the stage where we're getting permission to move forward with design etc.)
                  Last edited by JackJD; 09-18-2013, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                    We're still in the stage where we're getting permission to move forward with design etc.
                    I disagree with you here. I think preliminary design is complete. That's what is in the PDF. The next step is to go to the BOR and ask for authorization to proceed with FINAL design, which is always based around the preliminary plan. Typically at that stage the preliminary work and "plan" is already completed..........it's just a matter of assembling the details, hence the authorization for final design.

Personally, I think we are a lot, lot further along with design than many of you realize. At this point, we will probably only see minimal changes. Once final design is authorized, any changes that come with a significant cost adder will likely have to go back to the BOR for approval prior to any additional design work being completed.

Comment

I think it's a nice stadium design. And I trust the architects and the athletic department staff to place the dang stands the proper distance from the field. I also think starting with an 18,500 seat stadium makes sense. There is plenty of space on the east side to expand later.

As to whether it's a preliminary design that could change: The original "preliminary" design for the Sanford building north of the Dykhouse center has changed pretty significantly since it was first unveiled.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...an-takes-shape

Here is TV take on this issue, I would agree we are further along on this matter than most of us realize, which is good news as far as I am concerned. Sky boxes are certainly going to pay for this and thats okay with me. It all can't happen soon enough. Currently CAS is a mess as far as I am concerned. Sitting for a while and then getting up to go to the rest room or concession, makes me very wobblely down the aisle without hand rails. An accident waiting to happen. I am on the verge of giving up my season ticket, buy now have second thoughts with this news.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                          I think it's a nice stadium design. And I trust the architects and the athletic department staff to place the dang stands the proper distance from the field. I also think starting with an 18,500 seat stadium makes sense. There is plenty of space on the east side to expand later.

As to whether it's a preliminary design that could change: The original "preliminary" design for the Sanford building north of the Dykhouse center has changed pretty significantly since it was first unveiled.
                          Much better said than my last post. It seems that the design will be subject to change after this point but my bottom line: I'm going to place some trust in the architects, engineers, athletic staff et al.

Comment

There had been discussions about a 22,000-seat stadium. TV's story and the plans indicate the seating will be 18,500. Was the plan always for about 18,500 with the potential to expand to 22,000?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                              There had been discussions about a 22,000-seat stadium. TV's story and the plans indicate the seating will be 18,500. Was the plan always for about 18,500 with the potential to expand to 22,000?
                              Once your administration saw the plans for USD with the renovation of the Dome increasing seating to 18,400, then the number 18,500 came into being. (friendly sarcasm)

Comment

18,500 seems low, given that SDSU is averaging 12-13K/game currently. But I would guess that an east side clubhouse/suites could be future added to that design fairly readily for the extra 5500 seats. IMHO, SDSU should rarely need a 25K stadium over the next 100 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X