New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

.pdf site plan for new stadium: http://www.sdbor.edu/theboard/commit...Plan091813.pdf

Also: milestone chart: http://www.sdbor.edu/theboard/committees/SDSU/documents/MilestoneChart091813.pdf

Mods- if somebody already posted this, please delete.

Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Originally posted by BlueJayJack View Post
    .pdf site plan for new stadium: http://www.sdbor.edu/theboard/commit...Plan091813.pdf

Also: milestone chart: http://www.sdbor.edu/theboard/committees/SDSU/documents/MilestoneChart091813.pdf

Mods- if somebody already posted this, please delete.
    Well, do we all enjoy being further from the game? if so pledge your money now.
    Reminds me of their first few attempts at the new jackrabbit logo.
    I can hear it now "This design incorporates a lot of open spaces" AKA underutilized space.
    Count me as being in the not a fan of this design camp.
    Like the idea not a fan of the execution.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
      Well, do we all enjoy being further from the game? if so pledge your money now.
      Reminds me of their first few attempts at the new jackrabbit logo.
      I can hear it now "This design incorporates a lot of open spaces" AKA underutilized space.
      Count me as being in the not a fan of this design camp.
      Like the idea not a fan of the execution.
      As long as the stands are moved closer to the actual field than what is in the drawings, I would have no problem with this.
      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

At first glance, I thought "this is so cool!" Then after I read the comment above, I thought it wouldn't be that much farther back. From my calculations, the first row of seating is just over 22' farther back then the existing seats. Why?

I have a hard time with the space between the seats and the court at Frost. At least in there you can still generate a ton of noise.

I'm sure security is an issue. We'd hate to have an issue with a bottle (or other item) being chucked onto the field and hurting someone. The problem is sacrificing game day experience for safety.

Comment

The plan as drawn is sized to fit a soccer field within the stadium.

At least there's an elevator for the coaches.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
            At first glance, I thought "this is so cool!" Then after I read the comment above, I thought it wouldn't be that much farther back. From my calculations, the first row of seating is just over 22' farther back then the existing seats. Why?

I have a hard time with the space between the seats and the court at Frost. At least in there you can still generate a ton of noise.

I'm sure security is an issue. We'd hate to have an issue with a bottle (or other item) being chucked onto the field and hurting someone. The problem is sacrificing game day experience for safety.
            Welcome to building something in "PC" 2013 vs. "no one cares" 1950, I guess.

Notice the hidden (dashed) line around the field about 20 yards offset from the out of bounds...I'm guessing that's your "buffer zone". Notice how the seats at the far north and south ends touch that line. You can probably move the east and west sides in 5 yards if you build it all parallel with the field (not that i think that's a good idea either.)
            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

Ohh, didn't think of that....well, no offense to soccer, but I hope to all that is good and holy THAT doesn't happen.
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I would hope more hand rails and wider aisles and maybe a few more inches between rows, so people can exit for whatever reason and not be a nuisiance to those already seated towards the aisles. My row was used as an aisle last week. It was too much trouble to climb over a fan filled row in front of me, so my half empty row became an aisle for Section G fans. A real pain in the arse

Comment

Might as well throw a track around that sucker too! Spacious, indeed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Comment

I was hoping for a more symmetrical stadium for the east and west side with the same amount of rows on each side. But I suppose it will not be possible with box and suit seating. I would however like to move the field south so bleachers could be placed in front of the Dykhouse Center. I would think the current bleachers on the south side for the band and students would fit in there nicely. It would not be that hard to move the scoreboard to accommodate the field. I have heard SDSU is closing the road directly south anyway as part of the plan to make SDSU a walking campus. The stadium needs the ability to generate revenue, so if it used for other sports/ activities I am fine with it. I still wonder if SDSU will ask the City of Brookings and Brookings School District to assist with the funding. I think SDSU should and I hope both will partner with the project.
                    We...ARE...STATE!
                    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the current setup really doesn't have sufficient space between the field and the west grandstand. It's pretty tight there now. I do like the club room. I was at Youngstown the first time we played them there as a D1 program. The athletics people were very impressed with their club room, which is situated behind the loges, just like in this plan.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I think the bowl shape is a good idea, just not sure why they don't fully enclose the bowl?

I like that this gives people towards the endzone a little better view of the field.

Comment

Sheesh...wonder if I'm going to get blasted for saying the preliminary plan looks pretty good. Architects and designers have learned a lot about building stadiums in the past few decades and all for the good (like, an appropriate number of restrooms, convenient concession stands etc.). The curvature of the stands and distance from the field remind me of some of the well-designed stadiums constructed in the past few years including, for example, the Gophers' stadium.

I like how close the west-side seating is to the field at Coughlin but if you watch the team, the trainers, the coaches etc....they're really squeezed.

And lets face it, people are just plain fatter (would "larger" be a better word) than they were a generation ago. With CAS in mind, we need wider aisles, more legroom, wider seats. CAS has a great incline for a spectator. But, the new stadium will likely have a less-steep pitch to it. Stadiums just have to spread out a little more these days because we've all been spreading out.

I didn't get your reference to "PC" Rowdy. Don't you think that PC has been thrown around so much that it's rather meaningless? After a while, I guess you can say everything, and nothing, is being done because it's PC. But, I digress.

Comment

I like it. Also as JimmyJack says, CAS is crowded on the sidelines....it's amazing that nobody has gotten hurt running into the benches or fences on the sidelines or south endzone yet. The sidewalk in the north endzone scares me as well, players are barely able to pull up before stepping on the cement when the have a full head of steam built up.

Comment

I also like this design. Looks like there would be more room between rows, good sight lines. good concessions etc. But most of all, I like the proposed timeline. If I read correctly the time time says construction starts late 14, east side available 2015 and total new stadium in 2016. That is only two more seasons before we may have a totally new stadium.

Comment

Working...
                              X