Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I've only used the restrooms on that side once, but I swear there were at least 10 urinals in the one I was in....don't really know though, didn't pay any attention.

At the risk of picking apart the new place that I really didn't donate any money to, outside of a few years of season tickets, nor will be able to donate much to...I will say I hope some "final touches" come to the east side....not a fan of the bare block walls....would like to see some Jackrabbit logo's or player plaques or something on the walls. Also not a fan of the bare I-beams in the concourse supporting the stadium.....would've like to see those finished off somehow...surrounded in brick, or something...also as has been mentioned, the north side desperately needs a video board or at the very least a game info board.

All easy to say should be done when I don't have $$ to pony up for it, I understand.
    It really sounds like 1st world problems there........but I agree, it doesn't look as finished as I would like and I dont have money to change that so guess will take it as it is. totally agree on the scoreboard needed on the north side, doesnt need the video but need the score and clock at the very least, a ribbon board or something basic would be a huge addition.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I've only used the restrooms on that side once, but I swear there were at least 10 urinals in the one I was in....don't really know though, didn't pay any attention.

At the risk of picking apart the new place that I really didn't donate any money to, outside of a few years of season tickets, nor will be able to donate much to...I will say I hope some "final touches" come to the east side....not a fan of the bare block walls....would like to see some Jackrabbit logo's or player plaques or something on the walls. Also not a fan of the bare I-beams in the concourse supporting the stadium.....would've like to see those finished off somehow...surrounded in brick, or something...also as has been mentioned, the north side desperately needs a video board or at the very least a game info board.

All easy to say should be done when I don't have $$ to pony up for it, I understand.
      Would you spend a few bucks on a raffle? I am serious in asking this question as its money maker up north.

Comment

I wondered for years why we don't do 50\50 raffle drawings for the stadium or fundraising of some sort. Even if say all the games it raises an extra 20K. That's not a bad thing.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

My wife sat with friends on the east side for the first half and observed that there were lines outside the doors for the men's restrooms but the lines seemed to move quickly. She said the womens' restroom facilities seemed adequate to handle the crowd (which is quite a switch from the current west side---facilities inadequate with the womens' considerably more inadequate).

For me, the stadium is such an improvement that I'm going to be thinking "wow" every time I go in it for a few years.

Comment

With bigger fish to fry in the near future ( COA and Frost renovation ) , I am very happy with the east side as is. The one thing I agree is needed , and it shouldn't be a huge cost , is a ribbon board on the north end with basic game info.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
              My friend who sat on the east side last week told me the new men's room is severely inadequate to handle decent crowds. Stated there was like 4 stalls and 4 uranials. He also said that was it for facilities on that side. Can anyone here confirm our dispell that?
              The bathrooms need better signage, IMO. I believe they have the standard Mens/Womens signs posted by the door, but little to nothing posted above line of sight. There are multiple bathrooms on the east and south grandstand, but they can be hard to find when a crowd is in the concourse and the signs next to the doors are not easily visible.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                It really sounds like 1st world problems there........but I agree, it doesn't look as finished as I would like and I dont have money to change that so guess will take it as it is. totally agree on the scoreboard needed on the north side, doesnt need the video but need the score and clock at the very least, a ribbon board or something basic would be a huge addition.

One of the architecture problems I noticed on the east side is how the walls of the concessions & bathrooms should have been built built 2 to 3 feet further out to hide the I beams in the wall. The I beams that support the middle of the bleachers stick out like s sore thumb. Also, the outside side I beams need to be wrapped by something (brick, steel, column wraps...needs something)

and then yes, like everyone else said, need scoreboard on north side. No doubt about it. Hell, maybe Sanford would pay for it.

Comment

It's a minor thing, but I noticed a change on the scoreboard that you only saw at night. During the day you could (as one should expect) read the descriptions for what the scoreboard digits were for (down, to go, ball on, etc...) but at night they basically disappeared as they weren't backlit. Satuday night they were backlit and 100% viewable.

Little things they'll figure out as the stadium comes together over the next year. Like the need for a board of some kind of the north side.

And a gigantic car-visor mounted to the top of the new west side press box/suites for those on the east side for night games. "Blinded by the light..."

Comment

I counted the bathrooms on the new addition. There are 4 men's and 4 women's restrooms plus 3 family restrooms(singles). The restrooms are not all equal in facility as there is some size variance in number of stalls among the restrooms. One of the center facilities is smallest. It may be quicker to go to the new side for refreshments and relief at halftime.
                    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by bobcat_01 View Post
                      It's a minor thing, but I noticed a change on the scoreboard that you only saw at night. During the day you could (as one should expect) read the descriptions for what the scoreboard digits were for (down, to go, ball on, etc...) but at night they basically disappeared as they weren't backlit. Satuday night they were backlit and 100% viewable.

Little things they'll figure out as the stadium comes together over the next year. Like the need for a board of some kind of the north side.

And a gigantic car-visor mounted to the top of the new west side press box/suites for those on the east side for night games. "Blinded by the light..."
                      From my (limited) experience with sitting on the east side, don't even bother with sunglasses - a baseball hat works way, way better.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                        I counted the bathrooms on the new addition. There are 4 men's and 4 women's restrooms plus 3 family restrooms(singles). The restrooms are not all equal in facility as there is some size variance in number of stalls among the restrooms. One of the center facilities is smallest. It may be quicker to go to the new side for refreshments and relief at halftime.
                        I was in two of the mens rooms on the east side. One had 10 urinals and the other had 4. Not sure why you would make a restroom that small - you would think that the biggest expense is getting the plumbing/water in there and adding a few more urinals would not be that much more of a cost.

Comment

I know nothing of I beams and construction but thought this may have some relevance. In the recently opened Math/engineering building funded in part by J Lohr they did some very different things architecturally (including exposed I beams) in order to use as a training ground for students. Maybe that is why the same situation exists in the stadium.
                          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                            I know nothing of I beams and construction but thought this may have some relevance. In the recently opened Math/engineering building funded in part by J Lohr they did some very different things architecturally (including exposed I beams) in order to use as a training ground for students. Maybe that is why the same situation exists in the stadium.
                            Exposed ceiling space has become pretty common lately in the building industry. A lot of restaurants will have them. A lot of times they might paint the steel deck and supporting structure black to minimize the visibility. I kinda like it.

As far as exposed structure in the stadium....well, it's a stadium. If I recall correctly, every outdoor stadium I've ever been in has exposed structure. It's not meant to be finished like the inside of an office building.

Comment

Only thing I would like to see and it may be still in future plans is TV's under the stadium so we can watch while in line for biffy or concession stand. Really liked that opportunity at Kansas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A few thoughts:

1. The east side is made for butts; the west side will be built for bucks. The west side amenities are what are being counted on to pay for the stadium and it isn't too hard to imagine that east side amenities were cut to bare bones to do up the west side. Long before schematics were released, I hinted that that risers would be constructed of aluminum or structural steel rather than concrete as a cost saving measure due to the ballooning west side construction cost. This building program is predicated on the sale of expensive west side amenities, counting on the business community to purchase premium seating during good times and bad to pay back bonds. Empty east side bleacher seats won't do that.

2. Certain "wants" in stadium projects are funded after the fact. At TCF Bank stadium on the U of M campus, there was not money in the budget for the brick veneer that rings the wall of the playing field, for the HOF or the Plaza on the open end (currently hidden under temporary seating). An anonymous donor funding the brick veneer, T.Denny the HOF and the Prior Lake Dakota Tribe the plaza. In the new professional stadiums in Mlps, the owners were and are constantly spending their own money above and beyond the budgeted for amenities. A north end scoreboard might take a nice gift ("Jackrabbit fans, please direct your attention to the Flandreau Sioux Tribe Scoreboard high above the Dyk-Sac....").

3. 10 urinals, 4 urinals, who cares. At least they aren't porta-potties.

4. It makes absolutely no difference now, but I still wonder why it had to be built so big? The south end could have been left open, reduced capacity and saved some cost. Nice weather, a ranked Jackrabbit team, and less than 10k show up for another ranked (albeit unsexy) Sycamore team. Lot of blue bleachers.

Comment

Working...
                                X