Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
    Once foundation is set, steel construction is not readily deterred by cold or snow. Concrete is a different issue though. Good work on the scheduling to get so much done during the winter.
    I assume modular concrete structures could also be put up during cold/snow? I would guess that is what the grandstands will be built from, or will they be poured on-site? Not intended as a complaint on the progress, more to satisfy my own curiosity. I don't know anything about construction.

At the rate the west side is going up, I would assume the existing grandstand is going to come down as soon as the season is done next year. There is going to be a lot of finishing work that needs to happen on the west interior spaces, and a slow start could be bad for opening in 2016?

Its going to be awesome!!!
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      I assume modular concrete structures could also be put up during cold/snow? I would guess that is what the grandstands will be built from, or will they be poured on-site? Not intended as a complaint on the progress, more to satisfy my own curiosity. I don't know anything about construction.

At the rate the west side is going up, I would assume the existing grandstand is going to come down as soon as the season is done next year. There is going to be a lot of finishing work that needs to happen on the west interior spaces, and a slow start could be bad for opening in 2016?

Its going to be awesome!!!
      If the grandstands are concrete,they will be precast,poured off site and brought in and erected in any reasonable weather.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
        If the grandstands are concrete,they will be precast,poured off site and brought in and erected in any reasonable weather.
        Yep. Concrete riser sections are pretty common in stadium construction. This link has a couple pictures of precast risers: http://precast.org/2010/11/raising-t...-new-levels-2/

The risers can be supported by steel or concrete beams that run with the slope of the seating.

I believe Gage Brothers in Sioux Falls manufacturers riser sections. They have buildings and heated precast beds so they can cast these sections in just about any weather.

These would also go up quite quickly.

Comment

If I recall correctly, the risers are aluminum, not concrete. I recall that from reading the plans on the BOR website and being disappointed.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
            If I recall correctly, the risers are aluminum, not concrete. I recall that from reading the plans on the BOR website and being disappointed.
            I remember that being mentioned here, however I'm not aware of any aluminum riser system. If there is something it will look way different than the pictures in the posts above. I cant see a scenario where the main structural system is not steel.

Edit: I found this system: http://www.stadiumbleachers.com/architects/drawings

These look pretty unique. Main structure is steel with aluminum in fill. Probably cheaper than precast.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              Edit: I found this system: http://www.stadiumbleachers.com/architects/drawings

These look pretty unique. Main structure is steel with aluminum in fill. Probably cheaper than precast.
              SIU is the background stadium image in that link. I've always thought their stadium had kind of an erector set look to it.

*edit* Went to look at their site, and it is not as bad as I remember it.
              5652602.jpg5652603.jpg

Here are couple of images from their Photo Gallery.

I do like that the SDSU stadium renderings have a more 'finished' look to the exterior of the stadium even if it may be the same basic design.
              Last edited by HoboJack; 01-29-2015, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                The Scoreboard is coming down and being placed on top of new stands in south end zone I believe.
                Based on the renderings it looks like the scoreboard will be replaced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

From web cam looks like some east side bleachers have come down.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
                    From web cam looks like some east side bleachers have come down.
                    It was reported that there were several van loads of Buzun faithful in vicinity the past few nights. Bleachers are probably on their way to Fargo! (Hope they left the port a potties!)

Comment

The crew is taking off the seating and walking planks. The frame is next.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

South view.jpg
                        View from the Wellness Center walking track. 1/31/15
                        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

The webcam works well on my iPhone but there must be a conflict with my computer (I'm not going to take the time to figure it out).

I was in Brookings for the basketball games Saturday. Here are some pictures taken while driving by the stadium at about 1:30 pm. Some different angles showing the new construction in relation to the current facility. The pictures do not do justice to the size of the new facility.

The in the next picture, you can see how far steel for the building on the west side extends to the south...note the current placement of the scoreboard.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

One more picture...this one from the road to the southeast of the stadium. As noted in other posts, a crew was working on taking down the stands on the east side and as we drove by, there was ongoing work activity behind the east stands (they were working on Saturday again, same as last weekend). With all of us so accustomed to Coughlin, the size of the facility will be stunning.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

East stands appear to be gone. Good riddance!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                                East stands appear to be gone. Good riddance!
                                I always love good news on a Monday!
                                Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Working...
                                X